Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I'm Going Bonkers Over The Diificulties Of Celiac Disease!

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Be careful about the tuna that ravenwoodglass mentioned. Most of the brands I looked at had wheat in them!

I have never, ever seen wheat in canned tuna.

Soybean oil maybe.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Citric acid, commonly used in fruit preserves, can be derived from wheat, but that is usually a European problem. Found that out when I was eating imported jelly. <_<

Try putting pure apple cider vinegar and cumin on beans.

#18 ldymistic

ldymistic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

http://www.celiac.or...=116&Itemid=207

i hope this can help too. its time consuming but im trying it this year. i was dx`ed last year (oct). be on top of it or you could be bogged down heavily. good luck and stay sane.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

http://www.celiac.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=207

i hope this can help too. its time consuming but im trying it this year. i was dx`ed last year (oct). be on top of it or you could be bogged down heavily. good luck and stay sane.

Be careful. You could be audited. You need to have HUGE medical expenses in addition to the gluten free groceries for this to work. Your medical deductions have to equal 7.5% of your income before you can deduct the first dollar.

I have not heard of any celiac who has done this successfully. I have heard of two being audited the first year they tried.
I saved all the receipts the first year too, got my medical note and my DOCTOR warned me about the patient he had being audited.
We bagged the whole idea.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

I totally agree with Irish Heart....not worth the hassle.....I have a friend who works for the IRS, he said don't do it!

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

I totally agree with Irish Heart....not worth the hassle.....I have a friend who works for the IRS, he said don't do it!

Yeah, I have to think it's a giant red flag to them. :lol:
and who needs that hassle for a few dollars in return ???

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 MikeOhio

MikeOhio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

gluten-free processed foods, like breads, pastas, cookies etc are expensive for sure. IMHO it is better to eat mainly whole foods anyway, and keep the baked goods as a treat sometimes.

If you can get the large family packs of meat on sale it is usually reasonable to do that. Most groceries seem to alternate the sales so the chicken is on special one week and then the beef another, and the pork another. So if you watch for the sales you can save quite a bit of money. If you like fishing the summer is good time for that too. And it's fun!

Frozen veggies are often on sale and canned goods go on sale pretty often. When
I go to the store most of the items in my cart are things on sale. And many groceries have those discount cards now too, and they can save some money.

Some grocery chains offer delivery for food now too, like Giant and I think Safeway also. So you can take advantage of sales without going there if they deliver to your area. I don't know if Kroger's has that but you could ask. Some Kroger's have gluten-free sections now.

Juice is usually cheaper if you buy it frozen and mix it up with water yourself.

If you avoid the processed and baked goods and stick to whole foods, you also avoid many additives and preservatives and food colorings, which may be difficult for your system to process. IMHO it's less work for your liver to detoxify foods than it is chemicals.

My brother has pschizophrenia and is not on the gluten-free diet. He just won't consider it even. I wish he would because I think it could help him. But I have two of the stubbornest brothers made. Oh well. I hope you find some ways to improve things with your diet. Cooking your own meals is a good way to go.

I usually get the orange juice that is from concentrate. It's mixed with the water already though. All the grocery stores I have access to are in my town Orlando Bros. Golden Dawn and Wal Mart in the nest town over. My town is small and the economy here isn't great. Most people here just have food, shelter,cable tv, maybe video games, not much more than that. After they pay for those things there's next to nothing left over. A lot of the businesses that come here exploit the lack of work to obtain cheap labor. We don't even get too many of those. They are like American Companies that go to some Country that's pretty poor and pay people $4 an hour for work they'd have to pay $12 an hour for in America.

Has your brother been tested for Gluten intolerance? I've read that schizophrenic's are slightly more likely to be gluten sensitive. I hope your brothers experience with ER's and behavioral wards has been better than mine. It's the very fortunate schizophrenic that never has to deal with either. Some of those places are really bad. If being gluten free greatly helps my schizophrenia it would be a true blessing. I'd never have that nagging fear of waiting for 9 hours in a hospital ER and doing so under unequal conditions. Maybe this isn't the place to go into detail about that but ER's can get away with discrimination.

If your brother got tested and gluten intolerance is part of his problem it could be a great way to help him. I suppose he could also get a false negative.

#23 MikeOhio

MikeOhio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Be careful. You could be audited. You need to have HUGE medical expenses in addition to the gluten free groceries for this to work. Your medical deductions have to equal 7.5% of your income before you can deduct the first dollar.

I have not heard of any celiac who has done this successfully. I have heard of two being audited the first year they tried.
I saved all the receipts the first year too, got my medical note and my DOCTOR warned me about the patient he had being audited.
We bagged the whole idea.

I'm disabled so I don't have any taxable income anyway. Of course the government does something so they can say they are helping while also helping as few people as possible. In my state they will help a woman with cancer....BUUUUUTT.....only if they have a child under the age of 18. Since most women with cancer are older, they effectively say they are helping while helping as few people as possible.

#24 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I usually get the orange juice that is from concentrate. It's mixed with the water already though. All the grocery stores I have access to are in my town Orlando Bros. Golden Dawn and Wal Mart in the nest town over. My town is small and the economy here isn't great. Most people here just have food, shelter,cable tv, maybe video games, not much more than that. After they pay for those things there's next to nothing left over. A lot of the businesses that come here exploit the lack of work to obtain cheap labor. We don't even get too many of those. They are like American Companies that go to some Country that's pretty poor and pay people $4 an hour for work they'd have to pay $12 an hour for in America.

Has your brother been tested for Gluten intolerance? I've read that schizophrenic's are slightly more likely to be gluten sensitive. I hope your brothers experience with ER's and behavioral wards has been better than mine. It's the very fortunate schizophrenic that never has to deal with either. Some of those places are really bad. If being gluten free greatly helps my schizophrenia it would be a true blessing. I'd never have that nagging fear of waiting for 9 hours in a hospital ER and doing so under unequal conditions. Maybe this isn't the place to go into detail about that but ER's can get away with discrimination.

If your brother got tested and gluten intolerance is part of his problem it could be a great way to help him. I suppose he could also get a false negative.

No, he hasn't been tested MIke. That's where the stubborn streak comes in. Maybe someday he will change his mind tho. All I can do is talk to him about it, but he isn't super interested in hearing it. He was in a "place" for a while but the manages ok now without meds. I just wish there was a way for him to be happier. But he keeps real busy gardening and doing various projects around the farm. That kind of thing keeps him going and he likes being productive. He's a pretty darn neat brother really. Hard worker too.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: