This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Gluten Free Magazines And Websites

powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

so I visited my local Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up copies of Living Without, Gluten Free Living, Delight and Simply Gluten Free Magazine.  I've been reading them and wanted to get other's opinions about which one or two are the most respected, provide the most current research and have good recipes.  

in some other threads I've seen people had a problem with billing and their subscriptions to Gluten Free Living, but that info was in older threads.  is this still a current problem for anyone?

any websites besides celiac.com that are outstanding?

suggestions, please  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

any websites besides celiac.com that are outstanding?

:)

Nope :rolleyes:  We're the best. :D

I have never subscribed to magazines on the Gluten Free Lifestyle, but do from time to time pick up a copy at  B&N, for some recipe ideas.  Joining some of the national orgainizations like the Celiac Disease Foundation will offer you a quarterly newsletter with some good information, as well as their web page.

mamaw Community Regular

I  enjoy  all four  magazines  but  my  favorite  would  have to be Living Without....Delight  used to have  subscription problems  but  has been good  since  Vanessa took it over...Simply Gluten Free  is  new  , I  think just  the  second  issue.....

Adalaide Mentor

The only one I have ever picked up has been Living Without. I picked up the holiday issue for some ideas and liked a few of the recipes. Then I picked up the December issue after being on the fence for quite some time about starting baking again and seeing cookies that looked just like my Grammy's on the cover. I was hooked after that. I enjoy the recipes and the articles. If I see one of the others and something on the cover interests me I may pick it up, but I don't have a lot to spend on magazines and I would much rather just spend it all on Living Without. I can't foresee ever being disappointed.

DougE Rookie

The two I have read are Living Without and Gluten-Free Living.  My personal preference is for gluten-free Living because of its focus on gluten (my particular issue).  If you have other food sensitivities such as dairy,  I could see that LW might be a better choice.

thanks for the feedback!

CommonTater Contributor

I get recipes from some sites online. There are endless groups on Facebook that offer recipes.

Nicole has the best recipes!

Open Original Shared Link

Magazines

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
tinpins Rookie

I get recipes from some sites online. There are endless groups on Facebook that offer recipes.

Nicole has the best recipes!

Magazines

These are great links ... thanks  :)

• 2 weeks later...
IrishHeart Veteran

I like Living Without Magazine because it has both recipes and relevant health articles. (even my Gi doc loves to see copies of them)

I think Glutenfreegoddess has some of the best recipes. 

For humor and cutting edge commentary, I enjoy the Gluten Dude. 

The best book I have read for celiac disease info is:

Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler 

Daniel Leffler, MD, MS, Director of Clinical Research is a founding member of the Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, and Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN, the Nutrition Coordinator is also a founding member

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I agree with IrishHeart! Especially glutendude.

I was just given a gift subscription to Simply Gluten Free, so far, I really like it. Good info and recipes.

I was visiting family this weekend, and my Dad had made cookies and asked if I wanted any.  I asked if they had flour, and he thought he was being funny by saying he used gluten-free flour...except they have no gluten-free flour  :(  the probability of cross contamination, even if he did use gluten-free flour, is very high in my parent's house.  Since I don't live with them, I cannot expect that they rearrange their house every time I come to visit because that's not fair to them.  Since I'm still really new to gluten-free living, I find it easiest to eat whole foods, or prepackaged gluten free foods that I purchase and open myself when I visit them.

I tried not to get too upset, and instead the newest edition of Simply Gluten-Free came to the rescue.  There's an article in it about Bob's Red Mill's facilities, and the importance of keeping everything separate to prevent cross contamination including their buffer room.  I asked my Dad to read the article, which he did, and then he asked if he could pay me for the magazine, so that he can keep it and read the other articles in it.  I told him he could keep it, but I'd need it back the next time I see them  :)  I can't expect them to be mind readers, so hopefully it will help.  

Little vent-My Mom is another story.  She tries to be helpful, except I've asked if she cannot loudly proclaim in the grocery store, "Do you see any of your gluten foods?"   I bite my tongue because I want to say, yes I see PLENTY of gluten foods, but I need gluten-free.  Do you think next time we're near the diet coke, I should loudly exclaim, "Do you see any of your aspartame beverages?"  end rant

I really enjoy Simply Gluten Free, Gluten Free Living and Living Without.  The only thing I don't like about Living Without is the title.  In trying to keep a positive, upbeat vibe, Living Without is a pessimistic title.  How about the title Living for Longevity or Living Life?

I will have to check out Gluten Dude, and Real Life With Celiac Disease  :)

txgal748 Apprentice

Celiac Diva.com is pretty good.

• 10 months later...
Kayaking Mom Newbie

My favorite is Delight Gluten Free Magazine.  All the recipes are created for the magazine, and are tested in their test kitchen.  The are also life style articles for living gluten free, conversion charts, and great travel articles.  The index lists every recipe in that issue with which of the other main allergens are in the recipe, so that you can easily know which recipes fit into your particular situation.  This makes planning so much easier if you need to avoid another allergen.  There are also interesting articles by major medical professionals in the field.  

LauraTX Rising Star

Living without just announced they are changing their name to Living Without's Gluten free and more.  On the post I saw they said it was because you don't have to go without as much these days compared to the gluten-free stone ages just a few years ago.  

I really haven't tried any magazines, but have thought about subbing to them and gluten-free living.  I think I have gotten sample copies of one or the other at expos and in sample boxes.  I tend to bookmark every good gluten-free and cooking blog I come across, and I keep up with a few regularly.  When I have a bored night I will go read what is new on them all.  I like the ones with original content and minimal marketing posts the best.  My favorite non-gluten-free food blog is Open Original Shared Link  because it is very similar to my cooking tastes and needs.  Lately my favorite gluten-free blog has been gluten dude, but not many recipes there.

Archived