This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girl Scout Cookies

Guest nini

debmidge Rising Star

I usually buy a box and give them to my mother in law or donate them to my co workers.

I did have the opportunity during the sale to explain celiac disease to the troop leader

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I use the BiAglut crackers with the scallop edge, dip them in a fine melted choc. with mint extract added to it and let those babies dry and walla-------thin mint cookies........

I was a brownie then on to a girl scout and loved it-- loved the cookies too but read how fattening they are plus your heart will love you for not eating them. see being gluten-free has its helpful side to by saving us from heart attacks ....... there is a bright side to this.....................

jkmunchkin Rising Star

So ofcourse I went to a Christening today and one of the little girls was selling Girl Scout cookies.

I could tell DH was hesitant to buy any knowing how much I love them, but I gave him a little nod letting him know that it's ok. There are certain things that he'll eat in front of me without worrying it will bother me but I think he was a little concerned about this one. Even if it does bother me I don't think it's fair to deprive him. I'm a big girl, I'll live without a Thin Mint. (Now an Entemann's donut and I may have to throw a temper tantrum - LOL)!

Guest nini
I use the BiAglut crackers with the scallop edge, dip them in a fine melted choc. with mint extract added to it and let those babies dry and walla-------thin mint cookies........

I was a brownie then on to a girl scout and loved it-- loved the cookies too but read how fattening they are plus your heart will love you for not eating them. see being gluten-free has its helpful side to by saving us from heart attacks ....... there is a bright side to this.....................

that's a great idea, I'll have to order some of those crackers!

lovegrov Collaborator
I was so upset about the Girl Scout cookies a few years ago! I was still on gluten for testing, but knew that I would be going gluten-free regardless of what the tests said...so when the Girl Scouts came by selling cookies I bought 5 boxes! They took my order, but they don't take the money until they deliver. I was so upset when they NEVER came back with my cookies! Oh well, that was my last chance. I never even saw any scouts around town selling them like I normally do.

Now my daughter (for the second year in a row) has brought home the flyer from school for the Girl Scout and she wants to join. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the whole cookie selling thing. It would just be torture to have them in the house and have to sell them, but never be able to eat them. Of course all of my daughter's customers would get their deliveries! I'd make sure of it! Still hesitating though...

Please don't deny her the opportunity just because of the cookies. There are plenty of gluten-free goodies you can eat.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They do need gluten free versions. Those cookies I really miss. I emailed them before and they never replied! Well, if enough of us ask and we are in demand they may go for it.

gf4life Enthusiast
Don't take this as rude or anything, but not letting your daughter be a girl scout just because of the cookies is kind of silly. In my Girl Guide unit, all we have to sell is one case (12 boxes). If you want to sell more, you can, but you don't have to. We only to do it twice a year. It's not so torturous. Trust me. I sell them. :P

-Jackie ;)

I don't think your being rude. That wasn't the only thing keeping me from signing her up. It just makes me hesitate. She is also doing dance classes and I don't want her getting so busy that she can't just be a kid. If she chooses to drop dance, then I might consider Girl Scouts. But the cookie thing does not appeal to me. :huh:

Mariann :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeAl Contributor
I'm thinking of it more for the little girls, too. I agree that teaming up with a gluten-free cookie maker would be the way to go -- might even be mutually beneficial if Kinnikinnick or whoever got to put "Crafted by Kinikinnick's Gluten-Free Bakery" or something like that, so that they would get their name out, too.

It might be even better, though, if they added a cookie that was "naturally" gluten-free that mainstream cookie eaters would also like -- like a chocolate chip macaroon or something. That way more than just celiacs would buy them. Much as I really want a thin mint or a tagalong!

Oh, and GlutenFreeAl -- I LOVE those Envirokidz Animal Cookies! I just got my first box. What is it about those things? They are really odd, and not at all like normal animal cracker, but I find them addictive.

I literally have to hide them, or I will eat the whole box at one sitting!

Is it just me, or do they taste kind of mapley to you? No maple in the ingredients, but they sure taste like it to me!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Richard is right--as I posted above, I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout for years. It was a long time ago, but I still remember all of the good times we had at overnight camp, earning badges (and proudly wearing them), getting involved with things in the community, the fun meetings, etc. As I remember it, and it may be different now, the cookie selling (which we did by schlepping them door to door) was not a major part of the whole experience. If it's something she is interested in, I think it would be a great thing.

carriecraig Enthusiast

My niece is selling the cookies, and she asked my DH and if we want some. Oh, it was so heartbreaking that I can't eat them, but my DH got 2 boxes for himself. It's his reward for making me gluten-free cookies all of the time. :P

debbiewil Rookie

Whenever one of the kids is selling GS cookies (or some other cookies/pizza etc. for school) I always buy one or two, and then just bring them in and leave them in the break room at work. My fellow employees love it, and I don't have to disappoint the kids.

Debbie

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
Richard is right--as I posted above, I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout for years. It was a long time ago, but I still remember all of the good times we had at overnight camp, earning badges (and proudly wearing them), getting involved with things in the community, the fun meetings, etc. As I remember it, and it may be different now, the cookie selling (which we did by schlepping them door to door) was not a major part of the whole experience. If it's something she is interested in, I think it would be a great thing.

You are exactly right. It's not a big part at all. By the way you described it, it hasn't changed much at all! :)

By the way, gf4life, I also do dance and Girl Guides. It's not too much for me, and I'm in grade nine (e.g. more homework than grade two or three ;)).

-Jackie :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jackie--Good to know it hasn't changed since the "dark ages" when I was a scout :D

WGibs Apprentice
I literally have to hide them, or I will eat the whole box at one sitting!

Is it just me, or do they taste kind of mapley to you? No maple in the ingredients, but they sure taste like it to me!!

Ha! I polished off a box last night -- who could stretch a box into 9 servings? I think it may have lasted in the house for four days, and that was exercising extreme self-control! All day I've been trying to decide whether to stop at the store for more!

I don't know about maple...As I was trying to analyze my obsession, I thought there was a dash of cinnamon that kept tempting me to eat another. Of course, I didn't check the ingredients to see.

Oh, I will need to get another box after all this talk!

P.S. This is my first attempt at quoting someone, so please pardon me if it doesn't come out looking right.

VydorScope Proficient

Bah! Start your own chapter of CELIAC SCOUTS! :D

gf4life Enthusiast
By the way, gf4life, I also do dance and Girl Guides. It's not too much for me, and I'm in grade nine (e.g. more homework than grade two or three wink.gif).

-Jackie smile.gif

Thanks for the support and encouragement. My daughter is 6 and I think it would be too much for her to do both. She breaks down pretty easily when she is over doing it. She may have to drop dance, due to the studio being run extremely poorly. If that happens then we will seriously consider Girl Scouts.

How do you guys handle the food during outings, campouts, etc.? Would I have to send EVERYTHING like I do now with every other activity my kids are involved with at school, church, etc. It gets exhausting.... :blink:

Mariann

Thanks for the support and encouragement. My daughter is 6 and I think it would be too much for her to do both. She breaks down pretty easily when she is over doing it. She may have to drop dance, due to the studio being run extremely poorly. If that happens then we will seriously consider Girl Scouts.

How do you guys handle the food during outings, campouts, etc.? Would I have to send EVERYTHING like I do now with every other activity my kids are involved with at school, church, etc. It gets exhausting.... :blink:

Mariann

Well, it's not too hard for me to go camping as per the food stuff. If I am planning the camp as I am doing this spring (so excited :)) then it's obviously easy, as I can tailor the menu for my needs. When someone else planned the menu, I ask them for a copy and then bring up all the altervatives. I could still take part in the cool camping cooking methods that your daughter may try if she goes camping with Scouts, such as omelet in a bag and hot dogs in an orange juice carton. (are not as gross as they sound- you do not actually eat the bag or orange juice carton lol.) I just bring my own hot dogs, cereal, maybe a few slices of gluten-free bread, etc. Not too much.

Unfortunatley, the only thing I was prevented from doing partly due to my Celiac is I was offered to take part in a trip to the Guiding World Centre in Mexico during the summer and did not go :( . It would be especially difficult to take gluten-free food because they spoke Spanish, etc.

She will learn what to eat and what not to eat. I have, and I have a ton of fun.

Just post here or pm me if you want to ask anything else, I'd be happy to answer. :)

-Jackie :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I didn't enjoy the Girl Scouts at all.... :o I was a Daisy Troop leader a few years ago and ...never again. I think it's pretty poorly run from the top down. I also think the prices they charge for necessary items is just flat out outrageous. No excuses for the prices they charge. My scouts and I did tons of fun stuff, but it was 100% my doing. It's all work... like planning a birthday party each time. Plus, you have to deal with the mothers... and there's always a freaking nut in the bunch. I had a doozy.. Oh, man. That was a bad time. I would not recommend scouting to anyone.

VydorScope Proficient

Guess no one liked my idea! :(:lol:

I did not mix well with Boy Scouts, but if my son wants to try it out, we will give it a go, but I would agree that dance + girl scouts would be a bit much to ask of a 6 year old.

Guest nini
Guess no one liked my idea! :(:lol:

I did not mix well with Boy Scouts, but if my son wants to try it out, we will give it a go, but I would agree that dance + girl scouts would be a bit much to ask of a 6 year old.

Actually I LOVED your idea!!!! :D

gf4life Enthusiast

Actually Vincent, I ignored your idea! ;) I have too much work to do already and it just seemed like if I decided to start one in my area it would be me and only me doing all the work! No thanks... :P

BTW, Vincent I am seriously thinking about ordering both books from your Astronomy group. I've just got to show the site to my husband and I know he will say I HAVE to order them. :D We love that kind of stuff here at my house...

VydorScope Proficient
Actually Vincent, I ignored your idea! ;) I have too much work to do already and it just seemed like if I decided to start one in my area it would be me and only me doing all the work! No thanks... :P

BTW, Vincent I am seriously thinking about ordering both books from your Astronomy group. I've just got to show the site to my husband and I know he will say I HAVE to order them. :D We love that kind of stuff here at my house...

Well if you do that maybe I can find it in my heart to forgive you for ignoring me :lol::lol::lol:

Guest gfinnebraska

I will definitely call them and ask them to make a gluten-free version!! I had the same thought since my daughter and I just finished selling them!!! :angry: It is hard to sell what you can not eat! *sigh* I would LOVE for them to make their thin mint version gluten-free. Wouldn't that be awesome??!!?? Yum yum!!!

mightymorg Rookie

I would be so happy if they made cookies for us. I was a girl scout for many years, so I've always tried to buy a couple of boxes to support them, until this year. I had to turn down 2 middle school girls a couple of days ago...I told them I'd LOVE to buy them, but I can't!

I didn't enjoy the Girl Scouts at all.... :o I was a Daisy Troop leader a few years ago and ...never again. I think it's pretty poorly run from the top down. I also think the prices they charge for necessary items is just flat out outrageous. No excuses for the prices they charge. My scouts and I did tons of fun stuff, but it was 100% my doing. It's all work... like planning a birthday party each time. Plus, you have to deal with the mothers... and there's always a freaking nut in the bunch. I had a doozy.. Oh, man. That was a bad time. I would not recommend scouting to anyone.

It's much different being a leader for young girls than actually being a scout/guide. Although leading in Scouts may be different from Guides, I don't know, it's much harder and less fun being a leader for younger girls. It's just your experience. I know what you mean, but the way it's run depends completely on the leaders (the girls also if they behave), and if they set up things to do, camps etc.

-Jackie

Archived