This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rachelville 2

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
The smell of tapioca bread is wafting thru my house right now, I bake to escape real life - know this sounds weird but baking is my therapy! :huh::rolleyes:

Started on diuretics today as kidneys aint what they used to be and swelling legs was annoying.

Maybe I need to make brownies too............ :rolleyes:

I want to move to Rachelville in real life for respite care and pretend I am well :blink:

Ok, nuff of that.... it is supposed to SNOW here later this week, .....what the heck :o ....I had kids try on boots from last year - looks like I will be shopping at Wal Mart this week...... is it considered bad parenting to send your kids to school in runners during a snow storm? :lol::lol:

I also predate fax machines and personal computers and cell phones... had a 20 year old burst out laughing when I said I knew what thermal paper was and that I had used DIAL phones and I had played pac man !!

I need to make bread too......want to make some for me? :P Brownies sound pretty good too.

I hope you feel better soon.....and yes Rachelville would be wonderful wouldn't it.

Snow, SNOW!!!!! Where do you live.....or did I forget. We hardly ever see snow over in good ol southwest Washington. Did manage to get stuck in Portland during an ice storm though this last winter. The freeway was a skating rink, couldn't even go 5 mph without sliding all over the place....and I had a crying baby to boot.

Thermal paper.....I know what that is too. :ph34r: I was still working when I had to order that for the banks fax machines. Gotta love those old games too, don't we.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mango04 Enthusiast

Hellooooooooooo

I was so excited to see Rachelville in the new posts section today :). I've been lurking on the Thread of Scientificness. I hope everyone there finds answers soon......

So (I'm sure you're all glad) I have nothing to say about the muffins today (oh that's a lie I found a new place today that sells them). What I'm really excited about though is what happened to me yesterday!!!!! I was walking around an unfamiliar part of the city with nothing to eat and I was starving (and had pretty much decided I was just not going to eat for a while)....I then turned a corner and literally bumped into a huge sign that said "gluten-free food" It was not only gluten-free, but lots of it was cf, soy-free and organic! How exciting is that?

Okay sorry I tend to go off on tangents in Rachelville. All the talk about texting is so funny. When I was in college my roommate and I would IM each other when we were in the same room. We'd be sitting about three feet away from each other having conversations through the internet. The scary thing is we would often type the exact same thing at the exact same time.

Okay anyway I hope everyone is doing okay. Bye for now :D

debmidge Rising Star

The first fax machine I ever used was in 1978 and it took a smelly treated paper; it had its own telephone near it and you had to shove the receiver in a special place on the fax machine and the phone "talked" to the fax machine (just like they do today). And in about 20 minutes you got a one page fax.

I worked for a printing company and I guess they needed this type of equipment back then, but yes, fax machines did exist in an earlier form.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
It was actually Morgan's ex-boyfriend, and he was her ex-boyfriend at the time, too, who commented through myspace that I was cool! I've known him since he was about 10. Technically, it did not come from my own kids ... you will seem cool to his friends, maybe never to him though.

LOL!Mmmm,maybe he thinks you are a 'yummy mummy' :lol:

:lol::lol: Or computers ... and I'm not even talking about laptops!! Or fax machines, and cordless phones, C.D. players, DVD players, internet ...

.....Ah,the good ole days.

When I was at school we didn't even have a home phone-I had to actually walk to a telephone box(pay phone)!! :lol:

Imagine that!!(Oh,and we had to get up to turn the tv channel over-no remote :o )

I feel like a dinosaur now!! <_<

Ok, nuff of that.... it is supposed to SNOW here later this week,

(To use one of Cecile's trademark sayings) Good googly Moogly!! :o .Where on earth in the world do you live??!!

In Rachelville it only snows Christmas Eve/Day season!!

Hi to all that checked in.

:):)

2kids4me Contributor
Snow, SNOW!!!!! Where do you live.....or did I forget. We hardly ever see snow

I live in Alberta...Canada...the great white north :) We do have hot summers but when fall arrives we wake up to frost on the car and on the grass. :o

Does anyone remember the first cell phones? gawd they were huge..and then when cordless phones first came out, they had the antenna thingy that had to be pulled out so they would work :blink:

The tapioca bread turned out awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Used info gathered in thread about baking bread and - both loaves stayed all nice and rounded on top, they did not sink in the middle, Had celebration drink :D

anyone remenber 8 track tapes? :ph34r:

AndreaB Contributor
Hellooooooooooo

So (I'm sure you're all glad) I have nothing to say about the muffins today (oh that's a lie I found a new place today that sells them). What I'm really excited about though is what happened to me yesterday!!!!! I was walking around an unfamiliar part of the city with nothing to eat and I was starving (and had pretty much decided I was just not going to eat for a while)....I then turned a corner and literally bumped into a huge sign that said "gluten-free food" It was not only gluten-free, but lots of it was cf, soy-free and organic! How exciting is that?

Hi Meridith!!!!!! :D

That's great that you "bumped" into some food. How are you doing? Have time for siteseeing etc?

I live in Alberta...Canada...the great white north :) We do have hot summers but when fall arrives we wake up to frost on the car and on the grass. :o

The tapioca bread turned out awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Used info gathered in thread about baking bread and - both loaves stayed all nice and rounded on top, they did not sink in the middle, Had celebration drink :D

Oh yes, snowy Alberta. My stepdad is from that area.

Shouldn't that have been a celebratory toast? (as in toasted bread :lol: )

2kids4me Contributor
Shouldn't that have been a celebratory toast? (as in toasted bread )

:lol::lol::lol:

I like the snow until about the end of January, then I cant wait for spring. I love walking in light fluffy snowfalls...and sledding down a hill, the kids laugh their heads off when I wipe out cause of all the snow my big butt kicks up :rolleyes: ........

"Mom, it looked like a whiteout!! :D "

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
LOL!Mmmm,maybe he thinks you are a 'yummy mummy' :lol:

Na, he's not allowed to have a myspace, but does ... so when he saw mine, he thought I was cool. I'm friends with his mom ... but I haven't told her. :)

I remember those old fax machines ... I worked for a furntiture store in 1981 that had one. I installed fax machines back in 1986 .. all the offices I went to had never had one before and some of the secretaries didn't even know what it was for!! I would tell them it was a copier, but made a copy on the other person's machine.

My dad still has 8 track tapes ...

I quit playing video games after Space Invaders.

Imagine that!!(Oh,and we had to get up to turn the tv channel over-no remote :o )

Yea, anyone still call the remote a "clicker"???

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Sandy...you must be kidding! NO SNOW! We are trying to finish our renos. Our 7 day job in the sun turned into a three week after work epic trying not to have rain pouring into our house through the 2 giant holes where the door and window used to be. We did get the door and window in last Sunday.

Environment Canada says it's supposed to be sunny & 14 Sat and 18 Sunday. That's what we need. Then we'll finish. David Spence disagrees. He says partly cloudy 12 & 15. Calgary is the nearest weather station for Nanton, right?

Today I went to Canadian Tire and bought some ultrasonic mice get-rid-of-ers. I don't know what they are really called. I saw a mouse in the basement the other day. Probably because the garage and basement doors were open while Glenn was working. Not to mention the giant holes mentioned earlier. I'm surprised we don't have squirrels and birds as well. Our dog is useless at catching mice.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Snow? Yikes, and I think I live too far north in Ohio!!!

swittenauer Enthusiast

Hi everyone! I haven't stopped by for a while & thought I'd stop & say hi today. I hope everyone is doing good. All is well here. My little one is doing fabulouly in 1st grade & just started dance class (ballet & jazz). She loves it. My hubby has been feeling better lately & no glutening incidences. That is great news in itself! Me.....well, I've been working, drag racing & loving spending time with my family. We hit Gattiland last night & had so much fun there.

2kids4me Contributor
Calgary is the nearest weather station for Nanton, right?

Stavely has a weather sation (just south of us)..but we are very close to the foothills and when it rains everywhere else - they get snow "out west" -which is 5 miles away. Its funny when you see snow on vehicles ..........you know - they live west of town.

On Monday, I scraped snow and frost off the car so I could drive..

Kids that are bussed to school from out west - came to school in snow gear on Monday

Once I moved out her I now understood why they would have frost warnings for OUTSIDE the city. Us country bumpkins would be scraping frost while the city folk wouldnt have to...

CarlaB Enthusiast

Brrr. We're just having our fist cold snap where a sweater is needed -- 65 degrees! All that cold would drive me nuts! Though I have friends who live in Northern Wisconsin and they love it! The snow lasts all winter there, they don't get the snow/melt over and over all winter like we do, just one meltdown in the spring.

jerseyangel Proficient

It's 69, sunny and breezy right now. It's the most comfortable I've been in months :lol:

Green12 Enthusiast

There is a possibility for snow in my local forecast for the weekend, it seems a little early......

Hi Susan W, good to hear from you! Glad your little one is liking school and how exciting she is starting dance classes. 2 of my niece's take dance and they put on a recital yearly, absolutely darling to watch.

Speaking of texting in class, when we wanted to talk in class, back in the day Morgan and Molly, we passed notes (or chucked them) or mouthed across the room :lol::lol:

I still had typewriters in high school/beginning of college, computers were just about making a break through though, we had them and we took computer classes but they weren't used by the masses yet. But definitely no cell phones, no e-mail, not even voice mail....however did we survive :lol:

I remember 8 track tapes! I had a record player/8 track combo and my first, and only, 8 track was Pink Floyd The Wall. I bought only records after that. Good thing because the 8 tracks seemed to go out really quickly, but then not too long after that we were on to cassette tapes :blink:

Did anyone have an atari?

Ah memories, good times!!

Hi Mango!!!!!

You seem to find the best food over there, er down there :lol: How great that there are so many things gluten-free, cf, AND soy f. Why can't we get any of that here?? If it is here I can't seem to find any of it....

Did you go to the outback yet??

You and your college roommate sound like our B girls, Carla and Morgan, talking to each other through the computer when in the same room :lol:

Sandy, glad your bread turned out so well :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Did anyone have an atari?

I had Atari!! It seems so "generic" now. :P

I've had just about every other system made since then. Yes....I played alot of video games in my lifetime. :ph34r:

My alltime favorite is Millipede....the arcade version. Its the only arcade game I would totally buy and put in my house. They used to make a tabletop version and we had it in the sandwhich shop (Togos) I worked at as a teenager. OMG...I cant even tell you how many hours I sat at that game...literally dripping sweat...always trying to beat my high score. One day I was having the best game ever...wiping sweat from my forehead and everything...the manager thought it would be funny to go into the back and turn the power off for the game. Lets just say I was NOT happy....I think I threw a major fit....started throwing cookies all over the place. :lol:

I dont remember 8 tracks at all. :unsure:

I had records and tapes...I think when I was in high school I bought my first celiac disease player. My very first celiac disease was Bobby Brown "Dont Be Cruel". I still have all my tapes and albums.

EDIT: :lol:

Forgot about abbreviation thingy....I meant to say C. D. Player!

SNOW???

Already? :blink:

Its still pretty warm where I'm at....Thank God. I dont like cold. :(

Mango...Hi!! How is everything down under???

Is there alot of talk about the Crocodile Hunter there? I guess they had a memorial for him today...I listened to his little girl speak about him. Its so sad...I'm a big animal lover. I always envied the kind of life he led...I wouldnt consider it work at all.

Thats so cool that you found a new gluten-free place to get food!! I know that feeling of excitement when you find a store that carries stuff you can eat. :D

AndreaB Contributor

Whew, I have a few minutes to catch up. We've been playing catch up with school work since grandma was here this morning. Talitha is working on math right now. We got through most of her work. We'll double up of a few lessons tomorrow and be done.

Julie and Rachel,

I didn't have atari but did play my friends games. I bought a nintendo system when they were out. I went to college and my dad started playing games when I was gone. What I like that a friend of mine had (and I don't recall the name) was a big encased game with metal pins and had balls like a pinball game but it wasn't a pinball game. It was a japanese type game I think. I don't even remember what you were supposed to do anymore....just that I loved it. I was in 4th/5th grade (mid-late 70's). The girl I was friends with became super popular and we didn't hang out together anymore. She was always nice to me though....she didn't get stuck up. :P

Green12 Enthusiast
I had Atari!! It seems so "generic" now. :P

I know doesn't it though, when it first came out the graphics were so plain, black and white, rectangles and circles moving in straight lines, and the blip, blip, blip, annoying sound....there was 10 different ways to play ping pong I think, they all seemed the same to me :lol:

My brother played a lot of video games growing up, he had a lot of those hand held ones and we had an atari, I didn't play all that much. My favorite arcade game was called Centipede (sp?) and I loved pac man, remember that song "pac man fever" :lol::lol:

AndreaB Contributor
I know doesn't it though, the graphics were so plain, black and white, rectangles and circles moving in straight lines, and the blip, blip, blip, annoying sound....there was 10 different ways to play ping pong I think, they all seemed the same to me :lol:

My brother played a lot of video games growing up, he had a lot of those hand held ones and we had an atari, I didn't play all that much. My favorite arcade game was called Centipede (sp?) and I loved pac man, remember that song "pac man fever" :lol::lol:

I remember that ping pong game! I thought it was fun. :ph34r: When I went to Florida to visit my grandma, they had a different atari game that I really liked...don't remember the name of that one either. Don't remember if that was when I was 9 or 14 but probably 14.

I love Centipede too Julie! :D I think I like ms pac man better than pac man. Did the maze change in pac man?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Julie, we passed notes, too. :)

We had Atari. Does anyone remember the meteor hitting the earth thing that Vincent posted a while back? If you didn't see it, you should go back and look it up ... then you'll know what it has to do with Atari. Be sure your sound is on.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

We have a Battlezone in the basement. My husband used to work for an arcade when he was in high school and college and the guy "gave" it to him for $150 when he got out of the arcade business.

Now we just have to fix it so it works. It has a screw loose or something. (LIke it's owner :P .)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Julie...cenitpede and milipede are pretty much the same but I got really addicted to milipede. I still play it once in awhile whenever I'm at Dave & Busters. They have one there and I head straight for it every time. I pretty much hog the game once I'm there. :P

Yeah...I can still remember those annoying Atari sounds. :lol:

Right now my mom is reminding me of how my brother and I had to "peek" at our Xmas presents and "saw" the Atari...even though it was wrapped. I totally remember doing that...I carefully peeled back the corners of the present...I just really wanted to make sure Santa didnt forget the Atari. :D

I have all the "classic" games like Centipede, Dig-Dug, Asteroids, Pac-Man etc...for playstation and also for my Gameboy. The last game I was playing alot of was Sims...on my Gameboy. A guy I was dating got me the gameboy and some games while I was off work on disibility but then my eyes were bothering me so much I had to stop playing cuz of headaches. :(

Sims was pretty fun though. :)

I remember that ping pong game! I thought it was fun.

:lol:

Andrea,

We *all* thought it was fun back then....we didnt know any better! :P

Can you imagine if you gave that game to a kid nowadays??? :huh:

All it is is a line and a ball and the ball's not even round!! :lol::lol:

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea,

They'd look at us like we were crazy and from the dark ages. :lol::lol::blink::o:ph34r:

Green12 Enthusiast

I think you are right Andrea, Ms Pac Man was better.

I liked Donkey Kong too, was that what it was called??

Tavi!! Sorry, I missed this the other day about you not feeling well after the Milky Way. Sending Cyber Hugs to you!!! Are you feeling better?

TriticusToxicum Explorer

One made-up word for you. PONG

Can you imagine that for PS2?

What % of the population "gets" that commercial with Andy Roddick?

Who wasn't addicted to it? Wasn't that the "free" game that came with the Atari 2400?

Memories...

Archived