This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Overweight

sweeet-pea

sweeet-pea Rookie

Does anyone else have this problem? I feel as though I am the only one! :( I'm about 60 pounds overweight!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Sweeet Pea, yes, many of us are overweight. It's not true that most celiac's are thin, wasting away. Just as many of us have weight problems. Our bodies react differently to the malnourishment we were living in. When I first went gluten free, I lost weight. Eventually losing 60#. Then my other intolerances kicked in and I gained maybe 15# back and I want it gone. Exercise is what it takes and I hate that word. I am very limited on what I can eat now and I know the food is not the problem. When I went gluten-free, I was wearing very tight size 26 jeans and I had gotten down to some 16 and mostly 18. That was great for me and as Scarlett O'Hara says, "With God as my witness, I will get back to them!"

ianm Apprentice

I was about 100lbs overweight and lost it all. Nini is the weight loss champion but I haven't seen her around lately.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I was about 100lbs overweight and lost it all. Nini is the weight loss champion but I haven't seen her around lately.

No your not the only one..trust me...

Yes Nini is the the champion on this subject. She left this forum and joined the Daily Strength forum where she is much appreciated and continues to help many of us. She was not able (as i understand it) to post her web site on this forum.

I am able to do so (as I understand it) so will post it for you.

This website is packed full of OUTSTANDING information and also has some pictures on it.

Enjoy---Open Original Shared Link

feel free to PM me if you need more help. I too lost weight..50# when first going gluten-free and then other issues, dairy and soy etc so haven't found the best stable health yet but still looking...

hugs

Judy in Philly

• 3 weeks later...
Christy-Latchford Rookie

Believe me I am in the same boat as you! I have not yet been diagnosed with celiacs, but I am awaiting the appointment for my biopsy....I am currently 40lbs overweight and have tried EVERYTHING to loose weight (besides going gluten free, but I can't do that until after my biopsy). So just to let you know, you are most definatly not alone....One forum user reccomended the Atkins diet to me, she said it is the only thing that helped her....the basis for this diet is carb free, which in turn eliminates most of the gluten in your diet.....hope this helps

tiffjake Enthusiast
Does anyone else have this problem? I feel as though I am the only one! :( I'm about 60 pounds overweight!!!

Not at all! I am about 100 pounds over weight. Low car/sugar free now to lose weight. Lost 18 lbs in the last 6 weeks!!

jacqui Apprentice

My gastro, Dr. Gray at the Stanford Celiac Management Clinic told me I was one of his obese patients and that he is seeing more and more overweight patients with celiac.

I started to gain weight ~2 years before diagnosis. I kept telling my PCP and he kept blaming it on my age (at the time 36!!), my thyroid (kept in low-mid norm range by my endocrinologist), I need to exercise more...I did the no/low carb diet b/c my sister lost like 10 lbs instantly. NOT me if anything I gained weight. I bought an exercise bike (I have ataxia so I need to sit to exercise), but at this time I had a lot of fatigue going on so I couldn't even stay up to just sit forget about peddling a bike. In January I joined Weight Watchers. After ~2 months on it I lost 18lbs. I was 153.1 (I'm 5') :o and I am now 110lbs. I went in the begginning just to learn what to eat...Again this was before diagnosis, so I cut out most carbs and ate very "naked" food. Even on gluten-free I do not eat too much breads or pasta.

Also, I read that (I can't remember if this related to kids with celiac or all) someone with celiac is used to eating keep eating the same.absorba lot b/c of the malabsorption. They continue to eat the same amount but now they are healed or healing and absorbing more --> they start to gain weight. Plus gluten-free food is a bit more fattening/higher in carbs...

Has your thyroid been tested? If not I would get that checked too.

Take care,

Jacqui :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jacqui Apprentice
Believe me I am in the same boat as you! I have not yet been diagnosed with celiacs, but I am awaiting the appointment for my biopsy....I am currently 40lbs overweight and have tried EVERYTHING to loose weight (besides going gluten free, but I can't do that until after my biopsy). So just to let you know, you are most definatly not alone....One forum user reccomended the Atkins diet to me, she said it is the only thing that helped her....the basis for this diet is carb free, which in turn eliminates most of the gluten in your diet.....hope this helps

Welcome!

I agree with the forum user about Atkins or I did Weight Watchers. Once you start eating gluten-free you have to be almost more cautious b/c gluten-free has more carbs most of the time. I was 40 lbs. over weight and did Weight Watchers, but that was 3 months before my diagnosis of celiac disease. I still don't eat much bread.

Also, the best book to get once diagnosed celiac is Dr. Green's called "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic". He is the head of Columbia University Celiac Clinic. It is written by him and the dietician from there. This one is the most informative and the Gluten Free Bible has some good information, but it is older so some info is not up to date or wrong.

Good Luck!! :rolleyes:

georgie Enthusiast

I lost weight starting gluten-free, then stopped. Now Dairy Free and losing weight really easily. I still have to watch carbs though.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Also, I read that (I can't remember if this related to kids with celiac or all) someone with celiac is used to eating keep eating the same.absorba lot b/c of the malabsorption. They continue to eat the same amount but now they are healed or healing and absorbing more --> they start to gain weight. Plus gluten-free food is a bit more fattening/higher in carbs...

I was just diagnosed last week, and my dietician said that everyone is different but some people have metabolisms that are slowed by celiac (evindenced by lethargy, tiredness, etc) and that after a celiac diagnosis with the correct foods, one may lose weight because of an increase in metabolism.

The other thing she said is that one's body may be holding onto weight while on a gluten-including diet because of malabsorption and once one goes gluten free the body may relax and lose weight better.

So the point I am making is that previous malabsorption shouldn't make it more likely that one will gain wait on gluten-free.

However, I decided at diagnosis that I wasn't going to rush out and replace bread, pizza, pasta etc. with substitutes. (I did get gluten-free soy sauce and the like.) I am eating a strict paleo diet with no refined carbs and no rice, lots of raw veggies and good healthy meats and fats. Once I lose the weight (30 pounds) I will add in a few "treats" like wheat-free pizza, once a month or so. So my gluten-free will be high in "good" carbs and low in fats.

Just my 2 cents.

jacqui Apprentice
I was just diagnosed last week, and my dietician said that everyone is different but some people have metabolisms that are slowed by celiac (evindenced by lethargy, tiredness, etc) and that after a celiac diagnosis with the correct foods, one may lose weight because of an increase in metabolism.

The other thing she said is that one's body may be holding onto weight while on a gluten-including diet because of malabsorption and once one goes gluten free the body may relax and lose weight better.

So the point I am making is that previous malabsorption shouldn't make it more likely that one will gain wait on gluten-free.

However, I decided at diagnosis that I wasn't going to rush out and replace bread, pizza, pasta etc. with substitutes. (I did get gluten-free soy sauce and the like.) I am eating a strict paleo diet with no refined carbs and no rice, lots of raw veggies and good healthy meats and fats. Once I lose the weight (30 pounds) I will add in a few "treats" like wheat-free pizza, once a month or so. So my gluten-free will be high in "good" carbs and low in fats.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the 2 cents. I am a very bad eater. I don't know good carb from bad... I really should. That is great that you didn't go out and substitute. Of course I did, but then rarely ate what we bought - so wasted expensive food!

sandys Newbie
Not at all! I am about 100 pounds over weight. Low car/sugar free now to lose weight. Lost 18 lbs in the last 6 weeks!!

Be encouraged! Ive been maintaining my same weight for the last 6 months. I eat lots of rice cakes and popcorn for snacks. I eat baked chicken breast or chicken taco or tostadas mostly lots of salads with sugar snap peas (love them). Try making your salad with mandrin oranges and pinapple chunks and pecans, then you don't need salad dressing, I sometimes just add Two spoons of my yogart that I have at lunch its great. Exercise and have fun Sandy

CMCM Rising Star

I only got my celiac disease confirmed a year ago, but 4 years ago I did Atkins for about 2 months....I wanted to lose this 20 or so lbs. which I simply have never been able to budge in about 10 years, no matter what diet I was on or how much I exercised. About 6 weeks into Atkins I had lost a lot, maybe 12 lbs, and felt absolutely wonderful....I remember being very puzzled because I was not normally a big meat eater, but now with hindsight I realize it was a total lack of grain carbs, also no fruit, no sugar, and just all that protein with some veggies that I was eating. The bottom line was that the Atkins diet really really agreed with my digestive system.

I have come to believe that dairy and sugar stops weight loss dead in its tracks for me....unfortunately, a lot of gluten free substitutes are quite simply horrible and valueless from a health standpoint....they are unhealthy non-gluten substitutes, but offer nothing but empty calories. When I first went gluten free a year ago I ate a fair number of these things (gluten free cakes, cookies etc.), and then I realized WAIT....I wouldn't even eat all this stuff previously, so why am I eating it now???. Plus all the various flours and sugars really upset my system, and I didn't feel better until I cut ALL that stuff out. The last few months I've been trying to get my health in order again, and only recently have been eating more gluten-free treat stuff than I should, and that has to end.

I still have this incredibly frustrating 15 lbs. to lose....my fat % is frighteningly high even though I don't look it, and I'm totally frustrated trying to lose it because I really don't eat all that much. I'm going to try Atkins induction again starting tomorrow and see if that's the answer. I'll keep you all posted if I see any weight loss progress. I don't know what else to try!

• 2 months later...
SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I only got my celiac disease confirmed a year ago, but 4 years ago I did Atkins for about 2 months....I wanted to lose this 20 or so lbs. which I simply have never been able to budge in about 10 years, no matter what diet I was on or how much I exercised. About 6 weeks into Atkins I had lost a lot, maybe 12 lbs, and felt absolutely wonderful....I remember being very puzzled because I was not normally a big meat eater, but now with hindsight I realize it was a total lack of grain carbs, also no fruit, no sugar, and just all that protein with some veggies that I was eating. The bottom line was that the Atkins diet really really agreed with my digestive system.

I have come to believe that dairy and sugar stops weight loss dead in its tracks for me....unfortunately, a lot of gluten free substitutes are quite simply horrible and valueless from a health standpoint....they are unhealthy non-gluten substitutes, but offer nothing but empty calories. When I first went gluten free a year ago I ate a fair number of these things (gluten free cakes, cookies etc.), and then I realized WAIT....I wouldn't even eat all this stuff previously, so why am I eating it now???. Plus all the various flours and sugars really upset my system, and I didn't feel better until I cut ALL that stuff out. The last few months I've been trying to get my health in order again, and only recently have been eating more gluten-free treat stuff than I should, and that has to end.

I still have this incredibly frustrating 15 lbs. to lose....my fat % is frighteningly high even though I don't look it, and I'm totally frustrated trying to lose it because I really don't eat all that much. I'm going to try Atkins induction again starting tomorrow and see if that's the answer. I'll keep you all posted if I see any weight loss progress. I don't know what else to try!

I did atkins about 3 years ago for about 4 monthes. I lost about 30lbs, and felt great. More enregy, no D. I wish somone could have put the pecies together then and said .... duh you not eating wheat... your celiac.

Nope... Suffered for 3 more years.

My mom still doens't think celiac is my main problem... "Celiac's are skinny and malnurished." I'm 100 lbs over weight....

• 2 weeks later...
rlm90 Newbie

I'm about 50 pounds overweight, and I have been overweight since I was little. I'm 17 years old now, and I still can't figure out why I'm so overweight. I have been eating right and obeying my diet since I was diagnosed at 3. I was malnourished and nearly dead when diagnosed, and somehow soon after that I started rapidly gaining weight. My parents and my doctors don't get it either. For the last year I've been taking medication for other problems and I've lost about 50 pounds. I still would love to know the cause behind all of this. So much for "all celiacs are skinny" .

Karen B. Explorer

I learned something interesting from a doctor that has Celiac that attended our Celiac group. She said the aspirin can inhibit weight loss in some people. I'd taken aspirin for arthritis since my 20s but I was able to switch to taking fish oil and turmeric. The switch has finally seen some weight come off slowly in bits. But I've also made some basic, healthy lifestyle changes. I can't use articifial sweetners so I've completely cut out sodas. My night meals during the week are vegatarian and generally low starch.

I do gluten-free baking but I have Celiac friends to give it away to so I may make a loaf of bread and get 4 slices out of it (two sandwiches over a weekend). It sounds expensive but that's better than keeping it and eating the extra. Also, I've really tried to make sure I get a lot of fiber, eat fruit instead of drinking juice, that sort of thing.

At this rate, I figure it's coming off slowly but it is coming off. I'm 47 and I hadn't been able to lose weight before now so I'm just glad it is finally happening.

little d Enthusiast

sweet pea

welcome. I am too one who have gained alot of wieght seem to happen after my daughter was born lost 18lbs after and then gained 30plus some very quickly and everttime i would maybe loose 5 lbs I would gain another 10 I have always been constipated all my life with being gassy all the time along with D and could never figure anything out. then one day m sister came to me and asked if i had D C gas very tired all the time and I also had heartburn tummy burn along with other stuff, But I made the mistake of starting the diet and I lost 14lbs feeling great and all the test was negative so I started regular food again and gained every bit back plus some and feeling misrable most I know what i need to do it is just a matter of doing it and for my health. I also get really hungry when eating regular food like within 30 minute to an hour after eating, but i don't get that way I am eating gluten-free. Hope that this helps in some way I know that it has for me everyone can help in some way other can help alot. especially the ones whos been at it for a while. you gotta love them.

Donna

plantime Contributor

If anyone is interested, Weight Watchers now has a Dietary Restrictions message board where several overweight celiacs meet to discuss recipes and problems.

dragonmom Apprentice

When I was sick,before diagnosis, I lost 60 pounds ....wow what a feeling. Well, now that I've been gluten-free for 2 years I have gained all that back and more, I exercised and ate right and it just kept coming back. Now I'll lose a little eat one thing wrong and gain more. I 'm tring to give up carbs , I don't know what else to do. God luck to you all, from another not thin Celiac. :blink:

sparkles Contributor

I am gluten free and overweight. To be honest, I think part of my weight problem now is caused from the packaged gluten-free foods. I found out I was a celiac in June of 2002. When I went gluten-free, I ate only hamburgers, salad with oil and vinegar or lemon juice, and a baked potato with lots of real butter. I quickly lost 30#. Soon after I started dating my now husband and when I started cooking with him, my menu expanded to include gluten-free packaged food. As my menu expanded so did my waistline and weight. I am seriously overweight.... I would like to lose 60#.... but it is so hard to give up the gluten-free goodies! I found two fantastic gluten-free bakeries that make cookies, bread, and pizza crusts. All are high in calories and, of course, fat. I know that going back to a really basic gluten-free diet.... even with all the butter on the baked potato.... would be better for me than what I am eating now. I know I have will power.... how else would one be able to stay gluten-free for 5 years? But giving up the gluten-free comfort foods is really hard. Exercise is difficult with neuropathy in my legs. I know that I need to do it. I have two grandchildren on the way and I would like to be around to see them and play with them. I am 60 and the task of losing weight seems so monumental and just talking about it or thinking about it drives me to the comfort foods. I have always had a weight problem. I was one of the lucky celiacs who didn't get thin with all the diahrea and vomiting. I just continued to gain weight. Like I told the doc when I was diagnosed, "my one chance to be thin and I blew that too..." I am not making light of those who are really thin from the celiac disease. People really look at you strangely when you explain that you are on a really strict diet.... their first response is a once over that reads in my mind as "..so how can you be so FAT?" Anyway, enough whining.... Tomorrow is another day and maybe I can avoid gluten-free comfort foods... after all, it is one day at a time.

cmom Contributor

I am experiencing the same frustration. My son is getting married in July and my New Year's resolution was to lose weight for the wedding. I want him to be proud of his mom. However, instead of losing any weight, I have put on another 10 lbs. I don't understand how this is happening. It is nothing for me to gain 3 lbs overnight. I go to a personal trainer once a week, usually eat only 1 helping at meal times. I don't indulge in gluten-free packaged foods every day. I can't figure it out. I am totally miserable. I look 4 months pregnant. I can't afford to keep buying bigger clothes. I am upset b/c now I know there is no way I can lose this weight before the wedding. :o

pnltbox27 Contributor

het CMOM

pnltbox27 Contributor

het CMOM I

pnltbox27 Contributor

DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED THERE, but cmom i feel your pain im a 37 year old male who has been at least 50lbs overweight since jr high, i was dx in feb , went gluten-free in march and told my wife cool ill lose weight for sure. no more snacking on cookies etc... but ive gained another 10lbs in the last 2 months.im lost on what i need to do.

• 2 months later...
Guest The Weasel

As sad as it is to be stuck overweight, I am so happy to find a thread like this and see I am not alone. I constantly have people belittle and berate me telling me that I cannot possibly have celiac because I am obese and that it just doesn't "fall into the nature of the disease" and that it's "impossible". It depresses me so much because I feel like they're blaming me and calling me a liar and like I'm looking for excuses.

I was never that overweight, my entire life I was "healthy" but not overweight or underweight until after I had a short period of what I guess some people would call an eating disorder but wasn't really defined as one.

After that, I can only assume I screwed my body up from it and that's how my celiac came out of hibernation since I never had a problem with it prior to that and didn't even know I had it prior to that. I started eating healthy again and still exercised, however, I continued to gain weight. I gained a matter of sixty pounds in only three months, no lie! I kept begging doctors to run all sorts of tests on my for my thyroid or anything they could think of and none of them believed me. They all told me to stop eating so much and stop being so lazy. But I wasn't eating a lot and I wasn't being lazy, in fact, I'm still not very lazy and I still don't eat much. They too told me I was just looking for excuses.

By a fluke, a doctor was running a panel of blood tests that contained the celiac disease test. It came back telling me I had celiac disease, at the time I had no clue what it was, but I was continuing to gain more and more weight. I researched as much as I could online and I'll admit that even I was skeptical that I had it since I couldn't find any other overweight people with it and all of the diagnoses on websites said patients who had celiac disease were underweight. After many months of painstaking research, I finally started going gluten free. I stopped after a while even though I was losing weight, mainly because I couldn't afford gluten free food and wasn't that good a cook/couldn't find the ingredients to make my own gluten-free food.

I went back to gluten-free life again and lost tons of weight, about twenty pounds in a month or a month and a half. I was taking the gluten-free life seriously for the first time and was seeing results. Unfortunately, I had another downfall into eating gluten because I live in a household where it's hard to keep your own food from being cross-contaminated and no one else has a gluten free lifestyle. I gained back all of the weight I had lost and then some. I noticed the more I ate things that contained gluten the more I gained but when I cut gluten out, I lost weight.

I've started gluten-free again about two or three weeks ago. I haven't noticed much change these days because I don't weigh myself as I'm afraid to. I just notice slight differences in the way my clothing fits me. Unfortunately, I'm due for my period so I'm bloated right now. I waiver from a size 18 to a size 20 or 22 depending on where I buy the clothing. I'm about 5'4''. I would like to get down to a 10 which is what I was my entire life until I had that weight-gaining fit and found out I had celiac disease.

Archived