Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese -- since I tasted it, I haven't made any box mixes.

And I sometimes use it as a base for a one dish meal with Hubby (add tuna, peas and carrots for a quick tuna cassarole).

I have not found a prepared mac & cheese that I like. I do really like this recipe from glutenfreeda.com. This site has tons of great gluten free recipes, you should check it out. I usually double the batch and freeze the left overs in portions just right for my son. Then I use them for a quick lunch, or like tonight when we're invited to a barbecue and I'm unsure of the gluten status of side dishes. (He'd much rather have mac & cheese than potato salad anyway. ;) )

Macaroni & Cheese

Servings: Makes 4 servings.

Difficulty: Easy Ingredients

2 Tablespoon butter, (1 Tablespoon reserved for topping)

2 Tablespoon gluten-free bread flour

3/4 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (plus 1/4 cup for topping)

2 cups dry gluten-free rice macaroni noodles or spirals

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

I generally make homemade mac & cheese, but when I'm in a fix I use Tinkyada pasta with either a jar of cheese whiz OR I use the Kraft cheese powder. Wal-mart sells it in a canister. It's just like Kraft mac & cheese.

I use Heartland's Finest Mac and Cheese. Lots of fiber and protein (it's made from navy beans).

thanks for the recipe..what type of flour do you use?

I have not found a prepared mac & cheese that I like. I do really like this recipe from glutenfreeda.com. This site has tons of great gluten free recipes, you should check it out. I usually double the batch and freeze the left overs in portions just right for my son. Then I use them for a quick lunch, or like tonight when we're invited to a barbecue and I'm unsure of the gluten status of side dishes. (He'd much rather have mac & cheese than potato salad anyway. ;) )

Macaroni & Cheese

Servings: Makes 4 servings.

Difficulty: Easy Ingredients

2 Tablespoon butter, (1 Tablespoon reserved for topping)

2 Tablespoon gluten-free bread flour

3/4 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (plus 1/4 cup for topping)

2 cups dry gluten-free rice macaroni noodles or spirals

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

We tried a few alternative macaroni and cheese products, but are happiest when we make it ourselves.

We use Glutino macaroni, Kraft grated cheddar cheese product (it says "Cracker Barrel" on the shaker), and butter. For one full box of the Glutino macaroni, we use 1/3 of a cup of the cheese powder and 4 tsp (20 ml) of butter. For a more liquid sauce, we splash in some 2% milk.

Boil the pasta to your desired level; we cook it al dente-about 10 minutes at a rolling boil. With Glutino pasta, we find that if it seems done when sampled, then boil another two minutes. Drain, then add the butter and cheese and stir until evenly blended.

Glutino also have a frozen macaroni and cheese. It can be heated up quickly in the microwave, and is good, but not as good as what we make.

I use any flour. Usually rice or my premade flour mix which consists of rice flour/potato starch/tapioca starch. Anything that will thicken and not leave a bad taste (Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour). :D

I use Heartland's Finest Mac and Cheese. Lots of fiber and protein (it's made from navy beans).

This one is really good! My DD LOVES it. I also make my own from scratch, I use the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe but sub in Bob's RedMill gluten-free flour mix in for the flour, Tinkyada shells, and I like to use a mix of cheddar cheeses-including xtra sharp. I also triple this recipe and freeze in small containers for quick individual lunches later!

I AGREE!!! I have tried so many brands of mac n cheese in the box and have been pretty dissappointed until Heartland's Finest. I tried the following:

Debole's (rice mac N cheese)

Pastato (white cheddar)

Annie's (white cheddar)

All of the above came out gummy and pretty disgusting. Heartland's Finest gives me a bunch of nutrients (calcium) with the benefit of 4 grams of fiber per serving. The best featrue besides tasting decent is that the pasta cooks in exactly 4 MINUTES!!!!!

I will on special occassions make mac n cheese from scratch, but I dress it up with a quality cheddar and gruyere cheese mix. Gruyere really gives the gluten free bechamel sauce a nutty depth that cheddar lacks.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

It’s certainly possible.  Coffee and susbstances made from cow’s milk are common intolerances in Celiacs due the upset of your autoimmune system.  
    That's good to know. I have my MRI on a celiac disease as it was requested by an ENT consultant to take a look at but again this is someone who isn't looking in regards to gluten ataxia but I can mention it to them and also give it to...
    The boat feeling did resolve but I do still have some residual balance issues. However I had ataxia impact from the time I was a child until my 40's. Glad to hear you are seeing someone that will be looking specifically for the UBOs. My neuro...