This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Gluteny Food You've Craved But Definitely Not Worth It...

heatherjane

heatherjane Contributor

Anyone ever crave something gluteny, that if you were ever allowed to cheat, would never be worth it?

I just had a random craving for Spaghetti-Os...gak!!

EDIT: Just to clarify... this is for a disgusting gluteny food that for some reason you're craving and would never be worth a cheat...like Twinkies? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rowena Rising Star

That yellow bread stuff... aka Corn bread. My family taunted me with it the other day. Oh how I was mad. They know I love the stuff! Its a country classic! But I WILL make it gluten-free one day... once I perfect my bread makin.

jststric Contributor

Pizza is my all-time crave. I would think after not having it for a couple of years, the craving would be gone, but nope, I just die everytime I see a pizza commercial on tv. I keep telling myself I'm going to throw caution to the wind and just give in to it but I just never do, for one reason or another. Its cetainly not a strong, decision making skill....because I STILL WANT IT!

cdog7 Contributor

Burritos. And naan! Oh I loved the flatbreads. Need to find a good gluten-free recipe...

lynnelise Apprentice

I always say if I ever go back to Key West I think I may have to consider the chocolate dipped frozen key lime pie. It was the best thing I ever ate and I'm not sure I could turn it down! lol!

shopgirl Contributor

Macaroni and cheese. You know the kind in the cardboard box with the unnaturally day-glo orange cheese powder in it? This was my favorite as a kid and my comfort food as an adult. I'm being super careful with dairy and cheese while I heal but, man, do I miss this. I actually moaned a little when I walked by it at the grocery store the other day, such is my longing.

O sticky, gooey, powdery cheese product.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The only thing I crave that I can't find a gluten free version of is phyllo. I would love to scarf down a whole package of raspberry turnovers or a sheet of baklava.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

A "real" fresh, warm donut. :rolleyes:

cassP Contributor

Macaroni and cheese. You know the kind in the cardboard box with the unnaturally day-glo orange cheese powder in it? This was my favorite as a kid and my comfort food as an adult. I'm being super careful with dairy and cheese while I heal but, man, do I miss this. I actually moaned a little when I walked by it at the grocery store the other day, such is my longing.

O sticky, gooey, powdery cheese product.

Amy's ( i think thats the brand) makes a gluten-free Rice mac & cheese- a smaller box with the fluorescent powdered cheese, and a bigger box with the squeeze cheese... works for me :)

Skylark Collaborator

Fresh, crusty French bread. Anyone know how to get that French bread crust and the fluffy inside gluten-free?

My cornbread recipes have not changed. I make spoonbread or an old-fashioned buttermilk cornbread. Need a recipe, Rowena, or are you still off of dairy?

Rowena Rising Star

Ooh I'd much like a recipe... And no I ain't off dairy completely. (Just mostly, kinda like I always have been...My moms lactose intolerant, so I kind of grew up dairy free, but I occasionally eat a bite of cheese, or something. Not much though) But I'm good at substitutions should I feel like I need to use something else...

Christi1996 Newbie

Rowena, I have a good gluten free cornbread recipe (just cornmeal no other non-gluten flours) that I have made dairy free using a variety of nondairy milks. It is a very forgiving recipe too.

My craving would have to be the chicken & daumplings I used to make. I have made other recipes and they are good, just a different style of dumplings. My recipe used 6 cups of AP flour and I just hate to use that much gluten-free flour on one dish.

njbeachbum Explorer

The only thing I crave that I can't find a gluten free version of is phyllo. I would love to scarf down a whole package of raspberry turnovers or a sheet of baklava.

Raven-

I'm 33 years old and I was diagnosed 3 years ago... and I didn't truly find my cooking "mojo" until I was gluten free. I love watching Food Network TV and I pride myself on the fact that I've been able to make almost any recipe I see in a gluten free version.

UNTIL you see those Phyllo dough recipes.... my partner is Greek, so he grew up with it. And it's impossible... there really is no gluten-free substitute! Sad...

Building off that, I love to watch the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on food network... and the Neely's were scarfing down a huge piece of pound cake with caramel sauce all over it.... and it looked SOOO good. I wanted a big huge bite, but then I realized that I could make it if I wanted to :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Building off that, I love to watch the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on food network... and the Neely's were scarfing down a huge piece of pound cake with caramel sauce all over it.... and it looked SOOO good. I wanted a big huge bite, but then I realized that I could make it if I wanted to :)

That sounds really good! Lat week, I made a spice cake and topped it with homemade caramel frosting. So good!

Skylark Collaborator

Old-fashioned Cornbread

2 c cornmeal

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbsp sugar or honey

2 eggs

2 c fresh buttermilk

2 Tbsp butter

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Melt butter in 9x9 pan or cast iron skillet. Mix dry ingredients. Add eggs and buttermilk and mix. Swirl the melted butter in the pan to grease it and then pour the melted butter into the batter and mix briefly. Pour bread in pan and bake 25-35 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Traditional recipes use bacon grease instead of butter - if you do that leave out the salt.

I'm not sure how this would work without the buttermilk, but if you're good at substitutions maybe you can get it to work.

cassP Contributor

my sister made one of Martha Stewart's Pumpkin cupcake recipes (the one with the cooked brown butter icing)... dont know which gluten-free flours she used, or if she added flaxmeal or xantham... but they were DELISH.. and the brown butter icing tasted like DOUGHNUT GLAZE... so yum :P

tennisman Contributor

Fresh, crusty French bread. Anyone know how to get that French bread crust and the fluffy inside gluten-free?

My cornbread recipes have not changed. I make spoonbread or an old-fashioned buttermilk cornbread. Need a recipe, Rowena, or are you still off of dairy?

I recently received a breadmaker as a late birthday present , it has a gluten free mode on it and has different gluten free bread mix recipes , it's AMAZING , the bread tastes great. On Sunday I made some bread with the Juvela all purpose mix and the bread tasted really really good. I said after trying a slice it tasted like french bread :) Do you have a breadmaker ?

tennisman Contributor

There isn't really any foods I really miss , sometimes I get frustrated about how much foods I can't eat , as long as I can drink Cider i'm good :D lol

MelindaLee Contributor

Anyone ever crave something gluteny, that if you were ever allowed to cheat, would never be worth it?

I just had a random craving for Spaghetti-Os...gak!!

DONUTS...though I didn't indulge before I went gluten-free, because of the calories. Now...I just might! (But they have to be the yeast...raised ones, not the cake ones!)

AlysounRI Contributor

Indian garlic naan bread.

I can make it gluten free but it's just not the same you know ...

MelindaLee Contributor

Rowena, I have a good gluten free cornbread recipe (just cornmeal no other non-gluten flours) that I have made dairy free using a variety of nondairy milks. It is a very forgiving recipe too.

My craving would have to be the chicken & daumplings I used to make. I have made other recipes and they are good, just a different style of dumplings. My recipe used 6 cups of AP flour and I just hate to use that much gluten-free flour on one dish.

What kids of dumplings do you like? If it's not the big fluffy ones...I have a good recipe. It's for egg noodles, but made a little thicker, they are like the chicken and dumplings I made before being gluten-free. (If it's the big fluffy ones...I thought I saw a recipe...let me keep looking in my cookbooks)

K8ling Enthusiast

BURRITOS!!! And Chinese food! OMG I miss pot stickers. And Moo Shu Pork

Rowena Rising Star

Christi, I'll take your recipe too!!! Thanks! As for dumplings, I have an amazing recipe for them, but I have yet to adapt to gluten-free so when I do, I'll hand it over. (Assuming it is successful of course.)

Tennisman- try making a recipe without the gluten free setting, it works too, and I think it tastes better. In fact Pamelas bread mix tells you NOT to use the gluten-free setting. But anyway....

Skylark Collaborator

I recently received a breadmaker as a late birthday present , it has a gluten free mode on it and has different gluten free bread mix recipes , it's AMAZING , the bread tastes great. On Sunday I made some bread with the Juvela all purpose mix and the bread tasted really really good. I said after trying a slice it tasted like french bread :) Do you have a breadmaker ?

I have a breadmaker and I can make good fresh bread, but mine doesn't make the French bread crust right even with wheat. I loved the fresh baked baguettes in France, and I'm after the real deal. Long, thin bread, with a chewy, shiny crust and that fluffy, holey inside that's so soft it's hard to even butter. Even if I do a French style bread with wheat in my bread machine, the shape of the loaf is all wrong so you don't get all the crust. I used to make passable baguettes by setting up the dough in the bread machine and then baking in my oven with a pan of water at 450F for steam. I've played with gluten-free flours a bit but the texture of gluten-free baguettes I've made don't come close to the real thing.

Emilushka Contributor

Pizza. Sandwiches. Eating cheese ... I miss cheese so badly I could cry.

Archived