This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

About 3 Months Into Being Gluten Free And Feel Like I'm Hitting A Wall...

MattSp1989

MattSp1989 Newbie

So, I'm about 3 months into being completely gluten free, and I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I just feel constantly hungry, and I'm only craving foods that have gluten, and none of the gluten free options are working for me.. I actually got into my car this morning and drove to McDonalds because I am just craving a breakfast sandwich, and when I got there, I just sat in the parking lot, and then drove home.  Does anyone have any tips on how to make it through this? Or, has anyone experienced this before? I know that there are gluten free options for me to make a breakfast sandwich, but I just don't want them. Do I just have to suck it up and push through this feeling? I know it sounds completely stupid to be going off on a rant over a breakfast sandwich, lol, but this is how I feel constantly. I know when dinner time comes around, I'll be craving something else that I can't have, and I just don't feel like making chicken, or eating yet another salad, or going to a restaurant and not being able to have anything off the menu. Honestly, I feel like I'm going crazy, like all I can think about is food because I'm just so sick of feeling hungry all the time. At first, I didn't think that it was so difficult going gluten-free, but now, i just want to go into a store and pick something to eat and not have to read a label to find out if it will make me sick or not...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I don't think there is anything wrong with you wanting a breakfast sandwich.  I think the problem is you refuse to make one for yourself.  Or make something you like better.  With that attitude, you will have a hard time being gluten-free and be miserable the whole time. 

When you are ready, we have lots of recipes and people to help with recipes - anything from super easy meals to gourmet. Much more than just chicken or salad.  Many things you can make ahead or make several meals.  Maybe that nice guy in your picture with you would find it fun to cook with you?

There are easy ways to make an egg mcMuffin with a good substitute English muffin.  My 20 yr old makes himself a bacon or Canadian bacon, scrambled egg, cheese on toast that takes less than 5 minutes with the microwave.  It could be even faster if he made up the eggs and the bacon on Sunday night - froze them - then re-heated in the microwave.

notme Experienced

I actually got into my car this morning and drove to McDonalds because I am just craving a breakfast sandwich, and when I got there, I just sat in the parking lot, and then drove home.  

awwh!  been there, done that (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))  yes, it's normal to have a rant over a stupid sandwich.  i have thrown full-on pity parties for myself over just that - if i'm hungry, i have to fingerprint every single thing i eat!  it sucks sometimes  :(  early on, i was feeling really brave and we stopped on the way home from a trip at my favorite bbq place.  i was too uneasy to eat there, even though they said on the website they could accomodate gluten-free.  i had eaten there before and was never really concerned about all the cc that was *clearly* happening before i was diagnosed.  i chickened out <thank goodness because i would have surely gotten glutened), my husband and son went inside to eat yummy bbq, and i sat in the car and cried  :(  you're not alone - but, it does get easier.  my first trip to the fair (pizza!  sausage & pepper sandwiches!  funnel cakes!  pretzels!) a few months after dx was an absolute disaster.  i walked around like a mad woman looking for ANYTHING i could possibly eat.  nothing....... :(  i was so upset.  i ate my crummy larabar by myself and secretly hated on all the midway food gorgers.   the next year, i had my sh!t so much more together  :)   packed my go bag <which in the beginning i was like "pshaw!  i don't need a stinkin' go bag" denial lolz)  with pizza slices and some of my favorite snacks.   made a big difference and i didn't have to feel so sorry for myself.   

karen has a good point about making things ahead of time - make a bunch of breakfast sandwiches and freeze them.  that way you can just nuke them or put them in the oven when you want a sammich.  and also, you don't have to race to mcd's before they stop serving breakfast lolz - an egg mcmuffin at 10:55????  that's just crazy talk  :D

• 1 month later...
NoGrainNoPain Newbie

I know what you're talking about. My coworkers made brunch at work and told me to bring along my gluten free waffle mix. One of my coworkers lovingly referred to me as a glutarde, as if I wasn't already feeling outside the circle. Later that afternoon, I just wanted to have a chocolate chip cookie. I thought "screw this; it's all in your head," and had a cookie. Almost two hours later I started feeling gastric pain so subtle I had to ask myself if it was pain. Two hours more and it was pain with all my classic gastric symptoms but this time with nausea and the subsequent days of discomfort.

The moral of the story is don't give up. I know you want to feel normal and just do normal guy stuff, like grab a quick breakfast sandwich from McD's instead of having to spend ten minutes reading a label and intuiting if that thing is safe to eat, or worse have a fried egg on rice cake  <_< If feeling sick brought you to this point, don't go back. 

emilykay405 Rookie

I caved this morning. Had a nice breakfast with some toast. Two glorious pieces of toast. I payed for it all day. I've been sleepy headed with brain fog all day. And just a few minutes ago the bathroom breaks started. I feel super high maintenance with the new gluten-free diet. I haven't even had the guts (ha! pun!) to try gluten-free bread yet...I'm kind of afraid of the taste. So, I'm right there with ya. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

So, I'm about 3 months into being completely gluten free, and I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I just feel constantly hungry, and I'm only craving foods that have gluten, and none of the gluten free options are working for me.. I actually got into my car this morning and drove to McDonalds because I am just craving a breakfast sandwich, and when I got there, I just sat in the parking lot, and then drove home.  Does anyone have any tips on how to make it through this? Or, has anyone experienced this before? I know that there are gluten free options for me to make a breakfast sandwich, but I just don't want them. Do I just have to suck it up and push through this feeling? I know it sounds completely stupid to be going off on a rant over a breakfast sandwich, lol, but this is how I feel constantly. I know when dinner time comes around, I'll be craving something else that I can't have, and I just don't feel like making chicken, or eating yet another salad, or going to a restaurant and not being able to have anything off the menu. Honestly, I feel like I'm going crazy, like all I can think about is food because I'm just so sick of feeling hungry all the time. At first, I didn't think that it was so difficult going gluten-free, but now, i just want to go into a store and pick something to eat and not have to read a label to find out if it will make me sick or not...

I am about 18 months gluten free.  I have to say that it is so worth it that it just doesn't seem to be a high price ticket anymore.  I can remember nearly breaking down at the grocery store in the beginning.  Hang in there.

The constant hunger happens to me sometimes, or has.  Don't be afraid to have about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, olive oil, or butter.  It helps keep ya feeling full.  Other than that my nurse tells me that your body has been undernourished for so long and your finally realizing it.

D

w8in4dave Community Regular

What I hate is when Hubbs and I are in the store and he is picking stuff out for dinner , and I have to say "Well you can eat that but I cannot" He says "ohhh yea I forgot." Most of the time he will put it back once in a while he will put it in the cart. He is trying really hard to be in my corner with this. And I give him all the credit in the world!! But sometimes yea I wanna just be able to say yea lets have Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner!! But I will not!! I will say "Yea you can have Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner" Lol I am a lil over 3 months. into this. We are doing pretty good sorting this out!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What I hate is when Hubbs and I are in the store and he is picking stuff out for dinner , and I have to say "Well you can eat that but I cannot" He says "ohhh yea I forgot." Most of the time he will put it back once in a while he will put it in the cart. He is trying really hard to be in my corner with this. And I give him all the credit in the world!! But sometimes yea I wanna just be able to say yea lets have Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner!! But I will not!! I will say "Yea you can have Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner" Lol I am a lil over 3 months. into this. We are doing pretty good sorting this out!!

You can have Mac and cheese and hot dogs, too. The hot dogs are easy...pretty much all in the US are gluten-free. Udis and a couple of other companies make hot dog buns if you want one. I eat mine without with a knife and fork. Mac and cheese might take a bit of effort to make from scratch. I think there are a couple gluten-free " Kraft Mac & cheese" equivalents, too.

Thanks KarenG , I know that, Actually I was soooo sick of Mac and Cheese and Hot dogs! It was kinda a relief lol... I am not a fan of bread or Mac and cheese LOL .. Probably better off that way :) 

frieze Community Regular

don't think this is an issue that recipes will have any effect on, for that is not the issue.  perhaps counseling? or even hypnosis?  you are still in the stages of grief over the change that has been demanded of you.  do you commonly have problems in treating yourself well?  and perhaps you are getting some CC, and it is affecting your brain?  good luck!

GF Lover Rising Star

Grief Counseling for Gluten Withdrawal...Interesting concept but most likely not needed.  However, How to make a good breakfast sandwich is always a good thing.

As always, this is my humble opinion.

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

I caved this morning. Had a nice breakfast with some toast. Two glorious pieces of toast. I payed for it all day. I've been sleepy headed with brain fog all day. And just a few minutes ago the bathroom breaks started. I feel super high maintenance with the new gluten-free diet. I haven't even had the guts (ha! pun!) to try gluten-free bread yet...I'm kind of afraid of the taste. So, I'm right there with ya. 

but the difference is.....you can eat gluten still because you are going to be tested soon, correct?

this is not the same as the OP who has been diagnosed with celiac (? not sure--he did not say??)

who is wanting to eat gluten and shouldn't.

and most definitely should not "cave" especially to --of all things--- McD's crap.

Aside from gluten--there are a bazillion calories and fat grams in there. Let's all live to be 90, s'with nice clear arteries, hall we?

Okay..here we go...

Get some Glutino English muffins.

Toast and butter that puppy.

Meanwhile, make an egg, once over works well ...and some Canadian bacon... and melt cheese over it.

Eat.

Guys, this is not rocket science. Honest!  :) mange...enjoy.

IrishHeart Veteran

Grief Counseling for Gluten Withdrawal...Interesting concept but most likely not needed.  However, How to make a good breakfast sandwich is always a good thing.

As always, this is my humble opinion.

Colleen

and one I value highly. Because it makes sense. Sometimes, I think we overthink this stuff. IMHO

Yes I think alot of it is Overthunk!! <---- :rolleyes: Hahaha But seriously I think it is. There is soooo much Gluten free stuff out there!! There really is no reason to be having withdrawals! Have what you want but make sure it is Gluten free.. No prob!! :)

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ooh, I've been tempted to get gluten-free english muffins but haven't gotten over the $$ enough to do so. I think it's time.

Anyway, I think we've all been in that situation where we have a craving for something, maybe even go to a restaurant we know has gluten-free options hoping to eat the craved food, only to find out that, sorry, it's done on the same grill, or sorry, there's soy sauce in it. (grrrrrr) and then take another 20 min figuring out what's safe to eat or just giving up and leaving.

I think the important thing is that you DIDN'T eat the sandwich, cause you know that's a bad idea. The way to combat hunger is just eat the foods you like at home. Cooking doesn't need to take that much time or effort. gluten-free bread in the toaster, egg in a pan. Bam, done in the same time it takes to go out and get something, and much better for you. I'd make a list of things you like/miss, and look for recipes for gluten-free versions, or good substitutes, and try them out. Or, even better, try something completely different. It's amazing how much my tasted have changed since going gluten-free (and dairy/soy free).

Also, keep snacks on hand. they come in handy.

Cheers for not caving. You can do this!

Donna Sonday Newbie

Maybe your body is just craving carbs!  Try eating a gluten free muffin or hash browns to round out the breakfast.  There are also some great gluten free breads to make toast for a breakfast sandwich.

GFinDC Veteran

The OP hasn't been back since he started this topic.  So not sure it is worth attention any more.

Archived