29 replies to this topic

#1 ShortStuff2309

ShortStuff2309

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

I was wondering why I always feel as though I've been glutened after eating McDonald's french fries. It took some digging, but I found out why. McDonald's lists their french fries as being gluten free. However, they are not gluten free if you look at their ingredients.

Ingredients
Small French Fries
Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef, wheat and dairy sources), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). Contains derivatives of wheat and dairy.

Allergens and Sensitivities
Allergens
Does not contain any of the top 8 food allergens.
Food Sensitivities
Does not contain gluten or MSG.

Found at:
http://app.mcdonalds...imageSize=large

Am I just seeing things or is McDonald's trying to dupe us? And what do we do about this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

There are actually several threads on this ...

McDonalds disclosed their ingredients, the whole celiac community was up in arms over it even though the disclosure was voluntary, then McDonald's tested their fries and they ARE gluten-free. One of the flavorings some where along the line has wheat, but somehow there is no gluten in it (I can't remember the explanation for it).

What you probably get is contamination. I don't eat at fast food places for that reason.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

As easy as it is to pick up fast food dinners, I steer clear of the Mcdonalds fries...I just don't trust them. I had found that when I quit eating all the greasy fast food I felt better and saved money.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

Through the processing, they claim that all gluten is removed, but they list for liability issues. Some here partake with non issues, others have issues and some just plain refuse. In my opinion, it's trial and error.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

There have been many, many threads about McDonald's fries. Here is an article about it. http://www.celiac.co...-01106423369.76

I also suggest doing a search on this board and reading some of the discussions ... here is one of them: http://www.glutenfre...mp;hl=mcdonalds

The GIG has worked with McDonald's to test them and they are safe in terms of being gluten free.

If you are having a gluten reaction, it is probably due to cross contamination. Many of us cannot eat there because of the risk. Eating out is inherently risky.

Take care,
Laura

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

:( they made me sick yesterday BWAAAAAAH BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Oh well. I'll figure SOMETHING out...gotta have my fries!!!!

#7 swittenauer

swittenauer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:55 AM

So are the fries gluten free or not? Also, my husband always gets a 1/4 pounder with cheese & no bun & has had no problems. I read that it is gluten free. Anyone have info?
July 19, 2005 - My husband Bill was diagnosed, via bloodwork, with Celiac.

August 3, 2005 - Biopsy confirmed Celiac Sprue.

Food Allergies: Chocolate, Shellfish & Gluten

#8 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

So are the fries gluten free or not? Also, my husband always gets a 1/4 pounder with cheese & no bun & has had no problems. I read that it is gluten free. Anyone have info?

My daughter eats them and she's extremely sensitive. I checked the ingredients (no wheat/gluten) and confirmed with my two local McDonalds' restaurants that they ONLY fry fries in the fry-fryer, never anything else.

The first time she had them she had a sore belly but no gluten symptoms. We finally realized it was the grease (she hadn't had McDonald's fries for over eight months).

We're in Canada. Maybe it's different here?

The ingredients listing is on the website in pdf format. All ingredients in every single thing.

#9 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

I can eat McDonald's fries and never feel any effects, and so far it seems as though I am very sensitive. Our local McD's restaurants don't fry anything in the same grease that they fry the french fries in, so they are safe for us. I do know that I have gone to some NON local McD's restaurants and seemed to have a reaction so it probably depends on the way the McD's itself functions. Good Luck and I hope you are able to locate one that has fries that don't make you sick!!
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

swittenauer,

about the fries, i believe the best answer is above (see my above post, esp the bolded part.)

about the meat/cheese: I believe the ingredients are safe, but again, the risk of eating out at a fast food place is very high due to cross contamination.

Laura

#11 hammondtam

hammondtam

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but it might shed some light on the Mcdonald's French Fries issue.

This is straight from the McDonalds website.

French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor (wheat and milk derivatives)*, citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent)), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.)
Ashley

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Oct. 06
Gluten Free Oct. 06
Positive Changes with going Gluten Free

DD 11/2/04 Tested for Celiac 6/21/07, Results not in yet

#12 chgomom

chgomom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

They are not gluten free.
After they made the statement they got blasted and put out notice that they can not guarantee that they are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/
Quod me nutrit, me destruit

#13 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

My daughter eats them and she's extremely sensitive. I checked the ingredients (no wheat/gluten) and confirmed with my two local McDonalds' restaurants that they ONLY fry fries in the fry-fryer, never anything else.

The first time she had them she had a sore belly but no gluten symptoms. We finally realized it was the grease (she hadn't had McDonald's fries for over eight months).

We're in Canada. Maybe it's different here?

The ingredients listing is on the website in pdf format. All ingredients in every single thing.

Yes, they are different here in Canada. The ingredient that is based on wheat in the US is NOT used here.
There can still be a CC problem. I don't have a problem with them, but I go to a McDonalds that is aware of Celiac.
Shirley

[Save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

They are not gluten free.
After they made the statement they got blasted and put out notice that they can not guarantee that they are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

Just a side note here. The New Yorker who was quoted, is OUR Jillian :D

I have been able to eat McD's fries up until now. With in 24 hours of eating them a few days ago, I had a strong gluten reaction.

After being gluten free for some time, I believe you react to the smalled amount of gluten, where as initially, I did not react.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

This reminds me of the problems they got into for saying their fries are vegetarian, when they weren't.
McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: