This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Foods Are You Intolerant To?

no-more-muffins

no-more-muffins Apprentice

I know there are a lot of people out there who have problems with dairy, corn, soy etc. I am wondering what your intolerances/allergies are. Have you had testing for these or do you just know through trial and error?

Even if you are only intolerant to gluten, please respond because I am trying to get a picture of how many people have multiple intolerances and how many just can't do gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Okay, I will start you off:

Lactose (improving now)

Gluten

Corn (although I can handle non-GM corn)

Soy, including soy lecithin

Potatoes and peppers (I tend to avoid the other nightshades too)

Citric acid

Caffeine

Non-organic beef

jerseyangel Proficient

gluten

soy

tapioca

legumes

lizard00 Enthusiast

gluten

soy

some dairy products...still working on the what and why

allergic to egg whites

bittykitty Rookie

gluten,soy,corn,tapioca,homogenized dairy

trents Grand Master

Quinoa. Yes, that's correct, quinoa. See my post from yesterday.

chatycady Explorer

Gluten, diary, all grains, all starches, nuts, sugar, citrus fruit, strawberries, raspberries, - basically all poly and disachharides.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms Jan Rookie

Tested positive for wheat allergy.

Intolerant to: gluten, soy, all grains, dairy, sugars (of all kinds), alcohol, eggs, meat (except chicken), as well as all forms of chemical additives, preservatives or coloring.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Gluten, soy, corn, rice, (all grains) red meat, shellfish, nightshades, cruciferous veggies, tapioca, and now, dairy :( . The last one upset me so much, losing my cheese...I had already given up cottage cheese and ice cream.

I also do not use high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, and very little sugar...only natural sugars in fruits.

no-more-muffins Apprentice

Holy cow. What do you people eat? :(

darlindeb25 Collaborator

To be honest, I eat a fairly healthy diet. Chicken breast, cod, talipia, tuna, peas, carrots, green beans, and many fruits, always fresh or packed in their own juice. I also use peanut butter, Skippy Naturals, or Jif Naturals...and I can eat Utz popato chips.

jerseyangel Proficient

These's actually a lot left to eat--when I was first diagnosed, I found I was intolerant to dairy, corn and eggs in addition to the foods I listed in my post above.

Even then, I ate meats, poultry, walnuts and almonds, fruit, vegies (except legumes), white and sweet potatoes, Lay's Stax Chips, almond and rice milks--which were very useful in recipes, etc., olive oil, tea, rice. I used Enjoy Life foods, also. I even baked a little bit using rice flour and potato starch.

It took a while--I'm gluten-free for 4 years now, but I was gradually able to reintroduce eggs (in moderation--as part of a recipe), corn, and finally just recently dairy :D . I completely cut out the things I was sensitive to for well over 3 years.

I still can not tolerate legumes or tapioca--those I may never be able to eat since they cause me worse reactions than even gluten. I think I might actually be allergic to tapioca.....I stay far, far away..... :rolleyes:

ang1e0251 Contributor

gluten

fresh dairy

nitrites/ates

allspice

artificial sweeteners

coffee

some teas

chatycady Explorer

Well, I eat all fresh meats - nothing processed, fish, fresh or frozen veggies, homemade yogurt with honey, all fresh and frozen fruit, (with no sugar or any additivies,) except for the few I'm allergic too. I snack on apples, carrots, olives, dill pickles, I also eat lots of onions - very good for the immune system.

I've never felt better and have tons of energy!

Wurlitzer1 Newbie

Dairy (cow & goat)

Eggs

Bakers Yeast

Brewers Yeast

Pinto Beans

Scallops

Clams

...the list goes on

I find it very challenging to stick to a gluten, dairy, & egg free diet. If anyone has any suggestions or recipes that they love, I am all ears!

Thanks,

Maria

Lisa16 Collaborator

Gluten

Dairy (casein)

Nitrates/ites

Sulfates/ites

MSG

Pistachios (maybe almonds too now)

Fibrous vegetables (like lettuce) unless cooked to death

Some food colors (reds and yellows)

I am down to fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh meats, potatoes, rice and legumes. The only processed gluten-free foods I buy are peanut butter, frozen waffles and gluten-free flour blends. I make my own sauces and dressings.

BeautifulDay Apprentice
I know there are a lot of people out there who have problems with dairy, corn, soy etc. I am wondering what your intolerances/allergies are. Have you had testing for these or do you just know through trial and error?

Even if you are only intolerant to gluten, please respond because I am trying to get a picture of how many people have multiple intolerances and how many just can't do gluten.

Allergies (Dx via skin prick test last November):

Soy

Peanuts

Treenuts

Shellfish

Legumes (esp. peas, green beans, lima beans, lentils)

Hops

Buckwheat

Sunflower Seed

Seasame Seed

Cottonseed

Poppyseed

Intolerances (found via trial and error):

Gluten

Dairy

Egg

What do I eat? Wow if I had a nickel for everytime I was asked that question! :P But for real...lots of fruits, veges, chicken, turkey, rice, potatoes...you eat what you can and experiment when you can!

Let us know what you find out -- if anything! :)

GFinDC Veteran

Gluten

Dairy lactose and casein (experimenting with it a little now though after 12 years)

carrots

coffee

tea

I avoid soy but don't have a reaction to it.

I rarely add sugar to anything.

Sulfites, I am still not positive about them.

Hayfever, scratch tested positive to trees and grasses and kitty cats and woofie dogs. However my allergies are much better now after being gluten-free.

• 2 weeks later...
rubyred Apprentice

Wow, so many people here react to so many foods!

I have intolerances to:

gluten

soy - I believe this caused my blunted villi, so not sure if this would make it an allergy or not.

dairy

dates

and trying to figure out if I have an intolerance to legumes? I react (GI symptoms) to peanut butter and hummus (in addition to soy) and someone just mentioned that the connection could be legumes.

Jerseyangel (or anyone) - can I ask how you react to legumes and how you figured out it was that whole family you react to?

Katsby Apprentice

I found out yesterday from allergy skin testing that I'm allergic to: beef, lamb, pork, egg, milk, wheat, rye, grapefruit, orange, lettuce, cabbage, potato, celery, green pepper, peaches, strawberry, and mustard. I've been wheat free and dairy light (only butter) for a year now so the rest won't be so bad except eggs and potatoes.

jerseyangel Proficient
Jerseyangel (or anyone) - can I ask how you react to legumes and how you figured out it was that whole family you react to?

I react to legumes with severe nausea and stomach pain. The nausea is overwhelming, and really sets me back for a day or two.

I figured it out by process of elimination. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me at the time that green beans were actually legumes too, so it was a while before I cut them out completely. When I did, the difference was remarkable.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Still trying to pinpoint my other intolerances. So far:

Soy

Casein

Chocolate (tried chocolate again last night....makes my heart race)

MSG

Vinegar

Peanut butter (maybe???)

Caffeine

I'm still in the process, it's been frustrating and tricky. My other intolerances cause my heart to race, which completely wipes me out. What's funny is that I've been gluten free for over 2 years now, I didn't expect other intolerances to pop up this late! Right now I'm just sticking with fresh food w/out spices or sauces, it's a bit boring, but better than being sick.

Archived