arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death) (43 member(s) have cast votes)

If you have celiac disease, would you make your children follow a gluten-free diet?

1. I'd keep them off gluten and make sure they always ate gluten free for life (or at least until they were out of home...) (21 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

2. I'd introduce gluten into their diet when I feel it's best and test them annually with Cyrex/EnteroLab/Other Lab for gluten problems. (10 votes [23.26%])

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

3. I'd allow them to consume gluten and introduce foods at the time I feel it's best and only take action when they start showing symptoms. (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 alicewa

alicewa

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Some people say gluten is quite unnatural and may well be worse than tobacco and alcohol in terms of the illnesses it causes. Rodney Ford once told me this.

Would you agree with this? :unsure:

Seems a bit disturbing that it's so widely used then, doesn't it?? What about the wheat that was around 100-200 years ago? Was it any different?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

First of all, autism is a genetic condition, it is not caused by eating gluten. It is a neurological difference in the way one thinks and experiences the world. Gluten will make it worse if you already have a form of autism, but that's about it. (Just thought I should clear that up)

I wouldn't have children. If I did (hypothetically speaking), I would keep them off gluten, soy, dairy, grains, legumes and off all processed food as long as they are at home. Basically they eat what I eat or they can go hungry. I would refuse to feed them crap, they can have a lifetime of eating crap after they leave the house if they want to. It also sets them up with good food habits, knowing how to grow their own food from the garden and good cooking skills for later in life. I want my kids to know where food comes from as well as how and why it's important to them and their health.

Wheat was different 200 or 400 years ago. Much of it now has been genetically engineered to some extent or selectively bred to have certain qualities. The gluten content in a lot of modern day wheat is about 20% higher than it's original counterparts, that is just one example.

#18 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

We've always been careful about what we bring into the home. I don't think avoiding gluten is any worse than avoiding sugars, etc.

We don't use convenience foods, we don't use soda pop, we eat very little fast food.

My kids are young adults now and don't show signs of feeling deprived. They were allowed occasional departures into "junk".

We did not live this lifestyle in a legalistic fashion, we made the children feel as if they were part of a team learning to make the best possible personal choices, and we educated them as to why we thought something was not good for us.

We explored safer alternatives together and made it an adventure to be "different". LOL, they thought their life was better than their friends' lives!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#19 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Wait, Kjas, you wouldn't have children? Simply because of celiac? Or am I misreading this?

I had two WONDERFUL children with nary a sign of celiac. Best decision of my life.

richard

#20 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

Wait, Kjas, you wouldn't have children? Simply because of celiac? Or am I misreading this?

If I had known in time, I would not have had kids. I would not have wanted to take the chance that I pass on this problem. I also would not have wanted my kids to experience what I have.

As it is, one of my two daughters does have celiac disease. I can't help but feel guilty for what I did to her.

#21 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

My two children have a problem with gluten and if I had known what I do now about Celiac I would still have had them. And if it was possible to my husband and I would have welcomed more children especially after finding out about Celiac since we would know not to start them on gluten til they were older. Actually with my youngest I probably would have kept any other children gluten free in the house.

And besides, who knows if your child could be the next Albert Einstein or Bill Gates or find a cure for a disease. My oldest, who had very mild symptoms(mostly skin), wants to be a pediatrician so that she can help kids who are as sick as her sister was.

#22 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

I had two WONDERFUL children with nary a sign of celiac. Best decision of my life.

richard

Not entirely because of celiac. I have celiac disease and some pretty nice complications, Aspergers Syndrome (ASD) and some weird genetic crap going on which the medical field can't even classify.

I don't think it's fair to have children just because I have a selfish desire to have them, knowing what their lives would be like (at least in the industrial world) because of those 3 things put together. If it was only 1 of those things, or if I wasn't aware of those conditions, then it might be different. But I can't bring myself to do that to another human being intentionally and knowingly.

#23 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have celiac disease and some pretty nice complications, Aspergers Syndrome (ASD) and some weird genetic crap going on which the medical field can't even classify.

Would you mind a couple of questions about the ASD?

Is it a self-DX or were you DX'd by a medical professional? If the latter, what type of professional made the DX? Also, were you a child or an adult?

The reason I ask is that I worked in data processing and several years before I retired, ASD was the big thing in the data processing trade press. The articles claimed that lots of data processing folks were attracted to the profession because of ASD. I've always been interested in getting more info about the condition. If you have anything you can share, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#24 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I replied by PM, check your inbox.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

If I had known in time, I would not have had kids. I would not have wanted to take the chance that I pass on this problem. I also would not have wanted my kids to experience what I have.

As it is, one of my two daughters does have celiac disease. I can't help but feel guilty for what I did to her.

But hon, you didn't know about the celiac when you had your children----so you should not feel guilty! You did not "do anything to her" on purpose. You had her out of love, so do not put that on yourself.

I feel guilty that I did not know about the celiac when I was trying to have children and had 4 miscarriages. I never could carry to term, despite fertility treatments and various painful procedures.
I also feel guilty knowing my Dad surely died from this thing (they could not figure out his pernicious anemia, plunging hematocrits, need for blood transfusions, h. pylori, kidney disease, GI issues etc.) and wish I had known back then what I know now. I might have saved him.
I feel guilty I did not figure it out sooner for myself and spare my husband watching me slowly die for 3 years.

This is what I think sometimes, BUT that is unrealistic--because the point is WE DID NOT KNOW.

Wouldn't you tell me that it was not my fault because I did not know back then? Of course you would.

Please--Don't feel any guilt. There is no way you could have known.
Kind regards, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

First of all, autism is a genetic condition, it is not caused by eating gluten. It is a neurological difference in the way one thinks and experiences the world. Gluten will make it worse if you already have a form of autism, but that's about it. (Just thought I should clear that up)

Except that studies are now showing that up to 50% of Autistic kids have gluten intolerance/celiac. You can't tell me that that is not a major connection.

All my kids are gluten-free - but then 4 out of the 6 of us have a celiac and one intolerance, so majority rules in this house.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

There seems to be quite a bit written about the autism/gluten connection on the internet.

I did find this in the Gluten Files

https://sites.google...utenfree/autism

However, one study claims that autism is not linked to gastrointestinal disorders, but it is slightly outdated (2009)]

http://www.aap.org/e...tudy-Finds.aspx

If someone has found other articles, PLEASE--post them. :)

http://www.webmd.com...iets-for-autism

***Just FYI--the original poster of this thread is gone from the site and may not see your responses.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#28 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sorry- I got it wrong, 50% of Autistic children also have GI problems - but there does seem to be a large proportion with celiac as well - that is what I gather from my reading as well.

#29 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

I already know that. Many of us have IBS, gluten intolerance or others and gastro issues in general (probably about the 50% you stated).. We (ASD) are ten times more likely to have get celiac disease than the normal population. It is well recognised as a secondary link.

The thing is that correlation does not equal cause.

Just because they have a tenancy to gastro issues and autoimmune disease does not mean gluten causes it. Like I said, it might may it worse if it's already present.

Truth is that nobody knows why or how the 2 are related yet. There are plenty of theories but nothing has been proven.

#30 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Absolutely it doesn't mean it causes it - but with if its true -that ASD people are 10 times more likely to have Celiac then it is Absolutely worth keeping in mind. It should be studied, as you are probably aware the number of ASD children has risen to 1 in 110 - it was 1 in 160 a couple of years ago. There is obviously something going on. Celiac is on the rise as well, and so are all the other autoimmune diseases. If they are linked then I want to know about it.

My two suspected celiac children are currently being assessed for autism - my two non celiac children are healthy happy and generally not sickly. I am beginning to wonder what it all means and why it all seems to happen to those two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: