This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Always Tired.

newo ikkin

jen3899 Apprentice

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense!

-Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jen3899

• Ennis-TX

• Juca

• jenvan

Top Posters In This Topic

• jen3899

jen3899 4 posts

• Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX 3 posts

• Juca

Juca 3 posts

• jenvan

jenvan 2 posts

Mr J Rookie

i'm another one who is always tired although the worst of the feeling of chronic fatigue has now been replaced by just feeling really sleepy and lazy. The sequence of events is that before realising the gluten connection to my problems i was always feeling stressed and rushed and in fact tests done when i lived in Australia had shown that i had elevated cortisol stress hormone levels, but not quite enough to qualify for Addisions. then after going gluten free there was a big positive in that my stomach smooth muscles started to churn food for the first time in years but a really heavy fatigue set in which lasted weeks. Used to just sit in front of tv feeling wasted, frequently with a headache. Then that heavily fatigued feeling turned into just feeling sleepy and lethargic - its still with me today, but i've always forced myself to maintain some physical activity. I'm really hoping to get out on my stomach motility encouraging device tonite (skateboard) - been raining the last few days, but i know i will have to force myself once the post evening meal sleepyness sets in. Once i get outside i know that in a few minutes some life will kick in to my body and there will be a definate mental health benefit too. Some ppl who know me have remarked that i am incredibly disciplined, i suppose i am when it comes to maintaining my daily activities but i do have a number of personality limitations which probably are reactions to my selfish discipline so i would not describe myself as a well balanced individual!

cheers,

Mr J

Mr J Rookie

a friend sent me these 2 links. a combo of thyroid and adrenal insufficiency is causing her fatigue. The first link contains a page on adrenal insufficiency too. I don't have thyroid probs and if i had to bet i would say i don't have adrenal insufficiency either - its all too easy to look at a list of vague symptoms and convince myself thats the problem, nevertheless i 'm feeling a lot of low grade versions of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. The info says that some modereate excercise is ok :-) however i'm not ready to give up my ration of 1 cup of coffee a dayjust yet though.

cheers,

Mr J

symptoms of hypothyroidism not acknowledged by the medical community

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long_and_pathetic.html

also this site is about adrenals: http://www.vitaminmd.com/isocort.htm

• 5 years later...
FernW Rookie

I am always tired too any the doctors have no clue why.

FernW Rookie

I wish there was a pill that can help us all no matter what the issue is.

• 5 weeks later...
robertarosecollins Newbie

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac. I am from Trinidad and Tobago (Caribbean) and its not a very common disease here. I am tired all of the time. By 2pm I am ready to find a bed..anywhere!

I am awaiting blood test results for thyroid functions, iron, calcium and a lot of other things that I cannot remember right now. I have also signed up with a nutritionist.

After reading some of the comments, I think that I will start slowly to do some physical activity...maybe I will start by walking. I hope that helps.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I would also recommend thyroid testing--when I read your post, that was the first thing to come to mind. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is very common in people with celiac....and one of its principal features is fatigue and sleepiness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maximoo Enthusiast

this thread is 6 yrs old.

NoodleUnit Apprentice

this thread is 6 yrs old.

...and still very relevant to me at least :). I'm experiencing serious fatigue about 2 months in to my gluten-free diet. This is my first week back at work after 7 weeks off and it's doing me in. I'm up at 6 - okay until about 2pm, then I seem to hit the wall and am completely incapable of functioning from then on. Good to know it's common enough to warrant 3 pages. This place is a mine of information for frightened rabbits like me \o.

Jungle Rookie

Over 10 000 people viewed this. Wow, that is a lot of tired people!

I am so tired too. Will I ever have energy?

jackay Enthusiast

I don't even know what it feels like anymore to not be tired.

:(

RL2011 Rookie

Over 10 000 people viewed this. Wow, that is a lot of tired people!

I am so tired too. Will I ever have energy?

Everyone is tired from viewing this thread so much...

I got real tired after eating gluten for a few months and killing my intestines. It has been 3 weeks now since not eating any gluten and for the first time in over 2 months I felt like I have more energy. I am heading out on a 2 day 1,000 mile motorcycle ride tomorrow and hope I have the energy level I started today with.

I have a warped plan... If I continue to be tired after eating and sleeping right I will just push myself until I have a real reason to be tired.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Noodle, jungle, jac & RL...

Are you eating plenty of protein? And I mean intermentently throughout the day. It seems to help. I'm worthless if I don't get my protein every few hours.

jackay Enthusiast

Are you eating plenty of protein? And I mean intermentently throughout the day. It seems to help. I'm worthless if I don't get my protein every few hours.

It doesn't seem to make any difference how often I eat protein or how much of it I eat.

Part of my fatigue comes from the fact that I do suffer from insomnia. About one out of every three nights nights I don't sleep at all. However, when I do get a night with eight hours of sleep, I am often just as tired the next day.

love2travel Mentor

It doesn't seem to make any difference how often I eat protein or how much of it I eat.

Part of my fatigue comes from the fact that I do suffer from insomnia. About one out of every three nights nights I don't sleep at all. However, when I do get a night with eight hours of sleep, I am often just as tired the next day.

Insomnia is truly a horrid thing. Like you, I am lucky if I have one good sleep per week. However, for some reason (perhaps the B12 sublingual and/or B complex and/or Vitamin D3) when I do sleep well (rare) I feel like I could conquer the world. I am full of energy. But with chronic pain it is so difficult to get in a comfortable position and fall asleep. Pain wakes me up often. Feeling so exhausted and draggy is not a way to start the day so I really empathize with you. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyagia which has many crazy symptoms include MAJOR chronic fatique. Could that be a possibility?

So, I commiserate with you. Hopefully we will be able to rest well tomorrow and feel refreshed.

NoodleUnit Apprentice

It's actually improved for me over this week. I was pretty destroyed at the beginning of the week but by last night I was able to stay up most of the night. I've been having the usual newbie problems as I find more ingredients that dont agree with me, and that plus a return to work ( I get up at 6am to go to work ) did for me I believe. That said, I had a massive problem with dairy yesterday ( I keep on giving in and having things with a little dairy in the ingredients even though I know I shouldn't ) and that wiped me out for a chunk of the early evening.

I don't work on Fridays, so I've caught up on my sleep pretty much, so I feel almost human again. Hopefully I can recover and refresh fully over the weekend, something that never happened before I went gluten-free.

• 11 months later...
razzle51 Apprentice

wow me too tried alot . Is it the diet ? Is there anything that can help.

GF Lover Rising Star

wow me too tried alot . Is it the diet ? Is there anything that can help.

Razzle, just so you know, this thread is a year old. Be well

• 2 months later...
nomoregluten Newbie

daily short excercise is improving my overall health. if you can manage it i would recommend it. daily short dosages are better and easier to maintain then more irregular and or longer excercising. i workout sometimes but do a lot of running because it's so extremely convenient. i get out the door and i'm going. run a couple of laps around the block and crash at home.

• 8 months later...
LadyK Rookie

Yeah. I sleep until around 8:30 in the morning, then usually take a nap in the afternoon. I feel drained and tired pretty often.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Just to note this is an old thread, and the original posters may not be about.

You are welcome to start a new one :)

• 4 weeks later...
Geoff Griffith Newbie

Ever since I started my gluten-free diet in about May 05 I've been extremely tired all the time.

At night I get about 7-8 hours of sleep, wake up at 6 and go to school for about 7 hours. Then as soon as I get home from school I'm too tired to stay awake and take 4-5 hour nap, then wake up to eat dinner, do homework, take a shower, then I get extremely tired again and go to bed.

I have noticed that when I wake up I don't feel well rested unless I get 14-16 hours of sleep at a time.

I started taking vitaims for some more enegry and eating a bigger, healthier breakfast but it doesn't really seem to help.

I hate this because if I don't take a nap during the day and I go out I feel dead and if I sleep I miss out on the whole day.

Is this a side affect of celiac disease or a gluten-free diet? Does anyone else feel like this?

I used to feel the same way. Spent years just dragging. I changed out my household products to all natural to eliminate toxins and started taking really good vitamin supplements. Especially extra Vitamin D.  I have no issues now. I feel like I gained back 10 years of my life! I got to bed about 11pm and wake up at 5:30 with no alarm!! I am more than willing to talk with anyone who wants to know more about how I turned it around.

kareng Grand Master

I used to feel the same way. Spent years just dragging. I changed out my household products to all natural to eliminate toxins and started taking really good vitamin supplements. Especially extra Vitamin D.  I have no issues now. I feel like I gained back 10 years of my life! I got to bed about 11pm and wake up at 5:30 with no alarm!! I am more than willing to talk with anyone who wants to know more about how I turned it around.

You know you are responding to someone who hasn't been on since 2005?

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

They might be lurking  :)

kareng Grand Master

They might be lurking  :)

If they are, they are not signing in using the account they were posting with.