• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ridgewalker

Gluten-free Bar Suggestions, Please?

Rate this topic

One thing I'm really missing from the pre-gluten-free days is meal replacement/nutrition bars. I've tried the Lara bars, but didn't like them. I'm not a huge fan of dates, and every flavor I've seen has dates as the 1st ingredient. I tried them anyway, but yuck. :P

Any other suggestions? Is there anything else out there?

Sarah

I love KIND bars. They have dates, nuts, and fruit. I would not consider them a meal replacement bar, rather for a cookie fix.

I have found them at the Fresh Market, Farm Fresh and some upgraded Food Lions.

Hey Sarah . . .

You might want to look into Genisoy Chunky Peanut Butter Fudge or Creamy Peanut Yogurt Bars.

We haven't had them in awhile so you may want to double check on the barley (I know they are wheat free).

http://www.genisoy.com/articles/allergies/

We found them at Krogers and Wal-Mart (I think).

Here's an old thread about protein bars. Looks like Atkins might have something to offer:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=435

and another old thread:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion...php/t17114.html

In the regular supermarket breakfast bar section, nature valley has started making a bar thats just nuts and sugar. Theres a peanut variety and an almond variety. They were my breakfast treat, until i showed problems w peanuts and almonds . . . grr

Here are my favorites:

Cliff Nectar Bars - you might not like these though because they have dates too.

Bumble Bars - nuts and seeds. I don't see crack listed on the label, but it must be in there because these are addictive!

:)

Tigers Milk Bars - all flavors are gluten-free except the crispy one

Oskri bars - good if you like quinoa

Alpsnack - good but expensive

Hope this helps.

This may sound like a dumb suggestion but maybe try a different flavor Lara Bar. I actually had the same reaction when I tried them the first time, but then I started trying different flavors and found a couple I liked (particularly banana). They are the only bars I like so unfortunately I have no other suggestions. :(

i LOVE larabars......

but i've also been eating these Organic Food Bars.... i get them individually at a local health food store, but i was thrilled to find full boxes of them at The Vitamin Shoppe. They have a great protein bar with 22 grams of protein that is really good for eating after a workout. They are also quite high in fiber which makes them a good thing to include in your daily diet!

http://www.organicfoodbar.com/

This is a cut and paste directly from their FAQs:

You make it a point to say “Gluten Free” on your wrapper. What is gluten, and why do you keep it out of ORGANIC FOOD BARS? Read Answer.

After many years of puzzling symptoms, health care providers have begun to recognize the threat gluten is to our system. Gluten is found most notably in wheat, rye and barley. Our diet has steadily increased in gluten consumption over the years. Along with that, many health care problems have arisen which are related to gluten in some people. Not everyone has the same degree of gluten intolerance. Certain individuals are more predisposed than others because of their physical makeup.

Symptoms of gluten intolerance are diarrhea, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, food allergies and fatigue. Other conditions are now being associated with gluten intolerance. Common autoimmune disorders such as Type I diabetes and thyroid disease are linked to gluten. Also the bone and nervous systems can be affected, causing serious health care issues. That is why we make it a point to keep gluten out of ORGANIC FOOD BARS. But, there are two sides to every story and we encourage you to learn both sides and make a decision for yourself. Here is a great article about gluten in the New York Times.

ORGANIC FOOD BAR are tested by an independent laboratory to be <3ppm gluten. We are well below the US gluten free claim of <20ppm making ORGANIC FOOD BARS the best choice for gluten intolerant people.

Boomi Bars are one of our favorites.......

I just received samples to taste test of good-E_bars, 4 flavors. I'm not a big protein bar person & like very few of them but these goodEbars are really good, moist & tasty. I'm impressed with them. Good for you too..............

If you order please tell Chuck I told you about the bars... I promised I'd tell how good they are & I'm ordering for my family now.....

No I don't get paid for telling people. I make it my mission to tell what my thoughts on products are, good, bad or waht. I do this to help excellent products to get noticed & that way these small companies do not go out of business..........

mamaw Sande

Cliff Nectar Bars - you might not like these though because they have dates too.

Bumble Bars - nuts and seeds. I don't see crack listed on the label, but it must be in there because these are addictive!

DITTO!!! And my current favorite is Think Green Chocolate Chip. I just found these in Whole Foods and decided to give it a try and really liked them (and especially good with cashew butter on them, lol).

I've been told the Soy Joy bars are gluten-free, but don't quote me on that. Check the ingredients, but I'm about 90% sure they are. Not sure how they taste, I personally liked the larabars.

Thank you all sooooo much for your suggestions! I'm going to write them down and try them out.

I actually have tried the Bumble Bars, and yup, they are great.

Thanks again everybody!

Hey, I just noticed on the forum main page if you look on the left of the screen there is a gluten free bars link and there are TONS listed. Maybe you will find what you are looking for there. Whatever you try, let us know how they taste.

You're not kidding!

We had to have a Bumble Bar intervention last year with Donna :lol:

I was going to say Cliff Bars, but they've already been mentioned.

I have to agree sometimes a different flavor makes a difference with the Lara Bars. I personally only like certain flavors like Lemon, Key Lime Pie, and the Chocolate Mint.

Hey, I just noticed on the forum main page if you look on the left of the screen there is a gluten free bars link and there are TONS listed. Maybe you will find what you are looking for there. Whatever you try, let us know how they taste.

:o I can't believe I didn't see that! :lol: Thanks! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if Luna Bars are safe? The ingredient looks ok to me but as my user name says, brand new to being gluten-free. They also say that they do not source ingredients that use wheat or dairy... I'm assuming that's a good thing. I'm so overwhelmed trying to find snacks for work so this is very helpful!

all the bars have oats - which are almost certainly not from an uncontaminated source.

the sunrise bars have barley, and are right out.

the tea cakes have oats, and say they have traces of dairy (though I'm not sure from where).

they're sport line looks fine, aside from the smoothie, which has dairy.

and, of course, you might want to check on the natural flavors, in case they sourced from barley, rye, or oats.

I have to agree sometimes a different flavor makes a difference with the Lara Bars. I personally only like certain flavors like Lemon, Key Lime Pie, and the Chocolate Mint.

So anything "Pie" flavoUred is OK with Julie!!!! :lol::lol:

Luna bars are part of the Clif company... do Clif bars not have oats? I've seen them mentioned by people as a safe option so I am wondering if they both carry the disclaimer of "we source ingredients that are not made using WHEAT or dairy and are not genetically engineered"

Bumble bars are FABULOUS! Almond is my current fav. :lol:

Also, I saw thinkGreen bars on an earlier post... while it says "gluten free" on the front, it does say "manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts, nutmeats, soy, WHEAT, milk and egg products. May contain pieces of date pits, stems, nutshells or seeds" so that's confusing. :huh:

Luna bars are part of the Clif company... do Clif bars not have oats? I've seen them mentioned by people as a safe option so I am wondering if they both carry the disclaimer of "we source ingredients that are not made using WHEAT or dairy and are not genetically engineered"

A lot of Clif Bars do have oats. The Clif Nectar bars (at least the ones I've tried) do not.

Omgosh I know of the BEST EVER bar, but I can't remember what it's called! :ph34r:

I need to search my posts because I've posted about it before and it is the best tasting thing (and it's actually quite healthy - and gluten, dairy, soy-free). Ahhh, okay, I'll come back if I find it :D

Arg...those looked really good until I got to the Xylitol, lol. Xylitol gives me pretty severe gastric upset unfortunately. I'm always in the market for a good bar, lol.