This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease And Swine Flu

strawberrygm

strawberrygm Enthusiast

does having celiac make you more susceptable to the swine flu or make it more dangerous if you get it??

how many of you are or are not taking the vaccine if/when it becomes available???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
does having celiac make you more susceptable to the swine flu or make it more dangerous if you get it??

how many of you are or are not taking the vaccine if/when it becomes available???

For me personally, the fact that I'm on prednisone and Imuran (immunosuppressants) due to other autoimmune issues will make me more susceptible to swine flu; I don't think that celiac disease increases the risk by itself (although celiac disease is probably the reason why I have the other autoimmune issues!).

I will definitely get the shot as soon as it's available, and I will make sure my husband and kids get them too!

FMcGee Explorer

I asked my mom (a doctor). She said celiac *alone* doesn't make you more susceptible, but if you're sick/undernourished in other ways, either because of celiac or not, then you're more susceptible.

I'm definitely getting the swine flu shot AND the regular flu shot (get both, y'all!!! The swine flu shot won't protect you from the "regular" flu!) because I teach college, and that's a hotbed of germs right there. I'll never get this article written if I'm lying on the couch eating ice cream and watching The View, you know? :) Plus, my partner has asthma, so he absolutely must get the shot, and so must I, because if he got the flu (either kind), he could be in big trouble.

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm geting my son vaccinated because it's recommended for all those under 24 yrs. (starting at what age I forgot). The vaccine is being recommended for those with diabetes as well, so those of us who have that should be amoung the first in line, they say, so I'll be in line.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I find it amazing (and alarming) that so many people have bought into all the hype. According to the CDC, the "normal" flu kills about 36,000 people every year. The swine flu hasn't done nearly that. And the majority of the people who have gotten it haven't been seriously ill. It's basically been less serious in terms of symptoms than the "normal" flu. IMHO, drug companies are using this flu as part of a money-making scheme.

From the World Health Organization's website:

This pandemic has been characterized, to date, by the mildness of symptoms in the overwhelming majority of patients, who usually recover, even without medical treatment, within a week of the onset of symptoms.
Open Original Shared Link

That just doesn't sound very serious to me. It just spreads fast, but it's mild. Lots of communicable illnesses are like that.

However, what is alarming, is that the vaccine is being rushed. It hasn't been given nearly the kind of time necessary to insure safety. I mean, just look at how the polio vaccine did irrevocable harm to so many people. And given all the toxic stuff they routinely put in vaccines (mercury, aluminum, squalene, formaldehyde, etc), I'd rather just let my immune system do what it already knows how to do. I never get any flu shots, and I have no plans to ever do so. The last time I got any flu, I was a kid. I think it's important to remember, that a vaccine is supposed to be like getting a very mild case of flu, so your immune system has time to fight it off, and build immunity. Seems to me, that casual exposure - the kind we all experience each day as we interact with people - does just that. Now, if your first exposure is when someone sneezes right in your face, that's another story.

Last I knew, all viruses are incubated in chicken eggs, and therefore can be dangerous for anyone with a severe enough allergy to eggs.

Oh wait, did someone say monkey tissues? Take this article any way you like, but just FYI:

FMcGee Explorer

Oh, I agree, RiceGuy, I'm not buying into the hype about DEATH AND DESTRUCTION at all. That was my entire point about not being able to get my conference paper done if I have a fever. I'm certainly not quaking in my boots at the thought of being cut down young should I contract the swine flu. I share your bafflement on that front. The one time I've ever agreed with Dr. Phil was when he told people to chill out and leave their houses, just, you know, wash your hands, which you should be doing anyway.

FMcGee Explorer

Argh, I got distracted and hit "post" before I meant to. Anyway, the flu is a pretty nasty illness, and can wreak havoc on people whose immune systems aren't up to it. The vaccine is a dead version of the flu, not a weakened version of it. If your immune system is good enough that getting the flu will just make you sick, but not kill you, that's great, but you're still going to be down and out for a couple of weeks. The flu isn't just a bad cold, it's an exceptionally miserable experience. I got it a couple of years ago when I didn't have health insurance, and boy, was I in big trouble. Missing two weeks of work is bad bad bad. So people who can't afford to miss two weeks of work should probably get it, as should people with respiratory problems or those who live with respiratory problems (my partner/me), or people who live with those who can't fight off infection well, etc. It's true that people with egg allergies need to be more careful, but they should be aware that they need to ask about the vaccine's origin, and I've always been asked about egg allergies before getting the flu shot. That's no reason for none of us to get it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I completely agree, it is too new, and I don't think the potential risks outweigh the benefits for otherwise healthy patients. I won't be getting the vaccine for myself or my kids.

I don't think Celiac puts us at anymore risk for the swine flu or seasonal flu. Those that have a greater risk factor for complications do so b/c they have impaired immune systems to begin with, or a lower capacity to clear secretions when they get sick. As long as there are no other underlying health issues, it shouldn't be any more of a concern than it is for any other healthy individual.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

No matter how careful I am I always seem to come down with asthmatic bronchitis every winter. Every single time I have had the flu shot I have wound up with the flu. Have been hospitalized a couple of times because of it. Last 3 years I haven't had the flu shot, havn't gotten the flu. So, no more flu shots for me.

I understand now that my immune system is out of whack so I have began taking vit c and echinacha to hopefully build my system up by the time flu season hits. Maybe this year I won't get the asthmatic bronchitis either. Crossing my fingers.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't plan to have either flu shot. I think it is not necesary for my age group and health. If my daughter were pregnant, I would consider it for her as that group seems to be more suseptable. I saw a report last night where the comment was made that the vaccine won't be ready before the epidemic hits us....so?

FMcGee Explorer

It's true that not every demographic group qualifies for the swine flu. I'm going to get the regular flu shot because I work on a college campus, and yowza, what a bed of germs.

Also, it's impossible to get the flu FROM the flu shot, because it's a dead virus you're getting. If you get the flu shot and end up getting the flu, it's IN SPITE of having gotten the flu shot. The shot can't protect against every strain of the flu, so all that happened was you got a different strain. The shot decreases your chances of getting the flu by limiting the number of strains you are susceptible to. If you lose that particular game of roulette, it's not the shot's fault, it's just chance.

jmjsmomma Apprentice

My celiac six year old just had his six year check up. His pediatrician told us to not panic about swine flu (which I wasn't, anyway). He said that he would not even take the vaccine for himself or his family and would certainly not recommend it for his patients. He said it's been rushed and it is the squalene (sp?) that he is concerned about. Anyway, he gave us all the "regular" flu mist and we are going to skip any H1N1 vaccine, if it even becomes available. My girlfriends hubby works for Novartis and is on the team making the vaccine....he said all that is available has been bought up by the government so none is available for the general public.

lovegrov Collaborator

Ummm, Riceguy I'm not concerned about death and destruction. I haven't had the flu in 23 years and prefer not to ever have it again. Period.

richard

FMcGee Explorer
Ummm, Riceguy I'm not concerned about death and destruction. I haven't had the flu in 23 years and prefer not to ever have it again. Period.

richard

What he said.

RESO Apprentice

I've never had a flu shot in my entire life. I get the flu about once every 5-10 years. Since it's so long in between, I always forget that the first week is the worst, then you start to feel better but it takes another 3 weeks or so to completely recover.

Last Memorial Day weekend, I caught something that caused a low grade fever, sinus issues and sore throat. I worked in an afterschool program, so could it have been the swine flu? I have no idea, all I know is I fought back with chinese herbs, etc. and was able to break the fever by the afternoon of the second day.

Since I've never had a flu shot, why should I start now? I think the shot is a personal choice, and that people with compromised immune systems should probably get it, but hearing talk of mandatory vaccinations on the news is not cool, in my humble opinion. Just sayin....

Another reason for the NEED for universal health care.

FMcGee Explorer

Hooray!

debmidge Rising Star

...keep in mind that universal health care may make it that flu shots and other immunizations are mandatory to keep the population as a whole healthy. I do not want anyone to dictate to me how I must medicate myself.....govt. sponsorship=govt. control.

FMcGee Explorer
...keep in mind that universal health care may make it that flu shots and other immunizations are mandatory to keep the population as a whole healthy. I do not want anyone to dictate to me how I must medicate myself.....govt. sponsorship=govt. control.

Is that in the bill? I don't believe it is, but I'm going to double-check. I've also never heard a single politician say that, and I've been following this closely. Furthermore, the bill isn't going to get rid of the private insurance companies, who will never in a million years make vaccines mandatory, because it's not in their best interest, and they're profit-seeking companies.

Starting rumors isn't going to help. Let's be careful.

RESO Apprentice

First of all, everyone is entitled to health care, it's a right, not a privilege.

Govt sponsorship = government control? While there may be some truth to this, does this mean that you will not accept medicare when you retire? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just asking.

What most people don't understand is that with health plans in the US (HMOs, PPOs, etc.), doctors in your plan get paid a stipend per month per patient in the plan, so they get paid whether they see you 3 times in a month or not at all. Doctors actually have an incentive NOT to see you, so why would they make everyone come in for "mandatory' shots? Medicine is a business, just like any other and they will do what is profitable for them, period.

Tim-n-VA Contributor
First of all, everyone is entitled to health care, it's a right, not a privilege.

Anything that costs someone else something is not and never can be a right. Rights in the US are things the government can't take away from you, not things they can give you.

I do think that as a society we should have it as one of our goals/values to provide everyone with health care.

psawyer Proficient

The topic is about whether celiac disease increases risk from swine flu. Let's stay on topic, please.

lovegrov Collaborator

Please provide some proof of this. And why the heck did you even bring it up in this thread?

richard

• 1 month later...
knittygirl1014 Rookie

I just wanted to mention that my gluten intolerance was triggered by a particularly bad case of the seasonal flu. I know my immune system is not back to its former glory, so I'll be getting the shot if it ever becomes available. I mean, really, if you're already feeling tired and achy because of gluten, do you really want to feel even worse? I don't know if you'd be more susceptible in the first place, but who needs more symptoms? I've also heard that the vaccine is already paid for with your tax dollars and will be free to get (plus a possible administrative fee from your doctor's office).

the-rayway Newbie

Hi All!

I'm a new member from Canada.

I'm a pregnant celiac and I'm definitely getting the shot.

I was told that every year they only have 6 months to create the new regular flu vaccine - this is the standard amount of time. They've had 6 months to create the H1N1 shot. Also, while some people are saying the symptoms are generally mild for people (let's pray most people!) It's that it has killed perfectly healthy people without much notice or build-up - anyone read the story of the kid in Ontario? 13 years old.

So while I'm not freaking out about it, I want to make sure that me, my husband, and my unborn child are covered.

gfp Enthusiast
Is that in the bill? I don't believe it is, but I'm going to double-check. I've also never heard a single politician say that, and I've been following this closely. Furthermore, the bill isn't going to get rid of the private insurance companies, who will never in a million years make vaccines mandatory, because it's not in their best interest, and they're profit-seeking companies.

Starting rumors isn't going to help. Let's be careful.

To be fair, it is not a rumour but a statement of fact.

Universal Healthcare means protecting the population over individuals.

Where possible one hopes most Dr's will at least "Do no harm" ... but the job of federal and country healthcare is t prevent an epidemic.

Some vaccinations are arguably not worth the risk on a individual basis but make sense on a large scale. It is really that simple and then it gets complex.

Do you have the right to send your child to school without a vaccination?

Sure this can be argued both way's but it comes down to will you take responsibility for your child potentially killing another because you didn't take the risk for a specific vaccination?

This can be argued until the cow pox comes home without agreement but the fact remains federal and national healthcare has primary responsibility to the general public over individuals.

As to H1N1: As several others have said they have not had flu in 23 yrs or even ever.

I have managed to escape bacterial and viral infections for my whole life.

I almost had chicken-pox when I was 4 but it failed to develop .... however I did manage to carry it and give it to my brother who was very ill! I got a slight temperature and time off school but I wasn't actually ill.

I got glandular fever at 21 and typhoid fever at 24.

I have had a few possible colds in the last 40 yrs but then they were probably mainly allergies...

I don't think I have ever had Flu ...

My immune system is compromised because it is OVER active. It will attack gliadin let alone a flu virus.

Obviously others may have tired out their immune systems but the point I'm making is celiac disease alone is not making everyone more susceptible to viri and bacteria.

Archived