This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

5 Years Gluten Free- Encouragement For The Newbies

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I used to post here all the time. I don't have time anymore, so I come on once in a great while. I just wanted to share where I am at 5 years into being gluten free as encouragement for the newbies.

I was diagnosed at the age of 40. Extremely ill at diagnosis. It took me a full 6 months gluten free to have one symptom free day. I had horrible withdrawals from gluten. I highly suggest that newbies use the search function on here and read all the old threads about withdrawals and the healing period so you know it is normal.

I was so overwhelmed when I found out I had celiac that on my first shopping trip after diagnosis, I had a massive panic attack. I left an entire cart full of groceries in the line at Sprouts, ran to my car hyperventiliating, barely made it home because I felt like I was going to pass out and cried hysterically on my couch for over an hour. 

But I got used to it. My little boy was diagnosed after me so our whole house went gluten free. I got a gluten-free bread maker and learned to make my own bread. I found plenty of safe restaurants in our area we can eat at.

I learned to bake cookies and cakes that will knock your socks off. As a matter of fact we went to a campout with some other families. One guy made peach cobbler in his dutch oven, so I made us a gluten-free version in my dutch oven so we wouldn't be left out. A couple of friends tried mine and secretly told me my gluten free on was way better, no comparison.

My son used to have a hard time feeling left out with snacks and things. I always bring him matching alternatives to what is being served at gatherings and parties. But eventually he came to realize he is healthier because of it and he is happy being gluten free.

I was intolerant to soy, dairy and night shades at first. Now I eat dairy all the time with zero issues and love my night shades. Soy still gives me a stomach ache so I avoid that one, but it's livable. 

Parties and pot lucks are a bit more difficult for me but they are no longer stressful. My friends have actually started making gluten free stuff for me at get togethers without me even asking.

I came here to write up a review of a great restaurant that is nearly all gluten free, and then I thought I would like to share with others. I know when I was new to celiac I was a total wreck. I was so sick, so miserable and I felt like I would never get better, that my suffering would never end. I'm Italian and I cried my eyes out over pasta and raviolis. Then I learned how to make gluten free pasta taste amazing. Whatever you are going through now WILL get better. Some of us still have other intolerances like me with soy, but you deal with it and you learn to make things less about food. I am okay going to a party and letting it be about the friends and not about the food. 

So hang in there newbies! If you feel sick and horrible, pamper yourself. Spend lots of time in bed. REST. SLEEP. Eat clean until your body feels better. Eating clean and going off almost all grains is a gift you can give yourself now. 

I just ate the most scrumptious homemade gluten free cherry cupcakes with creamy homemade gluten free ice cream. And my tummy is stuffed but it is not sick.

Blessings to all of you! 

Sandsurfgirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Thank you so much for posting this.  Wonderful encouragement for the newly diagnosed people, I will definitely direct them here if they start questioning whether or not a gluten-free diet is worth it.   ^_^

across Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this! I am doing so much better since going off gluten about 7 months ago, but sometimes it still feels like one step forward, two steps back. I have been able to add some things back into my diet that I was sensitive to, but not all yet. I'm still hoping dairy can make a comeback! 

Every once in awhile, I get glimpses of what it feels like to be normal (at least I think that's what it feels like -- maybe it gets even better than this!) It is so AMAZING, but it's also discouraging at times because it is hit and miss. I hope there will come a day soon when normal is my default setting. 

Thank you for sharing this and letting us know that it does get better with time.

icelandgirl Proficient

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm really struggling this morning after having D for the past 3 days and not sure why. Like the previous poster said it sure feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back a lot. But this type of encouragement really brightened up my day...Thank you!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm glad that you're feeling well on the gluten-free diet! :)

Could you share your recipe and instructions on how to make a peach cobbler in a dutch oven? That sounds SO good!

notme Experienced

hello, sandsurfgirl!  :)  

folks, this is one of the kind souls who held my (virtual) hand when i was first dx'd - she wasn't all 'pardon me but i have a suggestion' lolz  she was like:  you got this!  kick it in the butt!  also, she understood the Importance of Pasta LOLZ  :D  anyways, she (and others) inspired me to give back.

thank you very much!  thank you for posting and i'm glad you are doing well (pshaw - i knew you would!)  :) 

Gemini Experienced

Congratulations on making lemonade out of lemons!  This is what kicking butt and not whining about eating gluten free looks like.  I was exactly the same way, only not as upset when diagnosed because I knew how to cook, so like you, I learned how to make great versions of all my favorite foods.  I was just happy to learn my illness was caused by an actual disease and was not a mental illness, as so many docs insinuated.  The only thing that would make it better is faster healing times but it takes what it takes.

You did a good job, sandsurfgirl!  Pat yourself on the back!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

It's good to hear you are doing well.  I used to post more 4 years ago when I went gluten free and I always loved your spunk and spirit.  The gluten-free lifestyle does get easier.  I have had to go deeper with my healing as I was diagnosed with another auto-immune disease this past March (Sjogren's) but I love that I've been able to manage both diseases with diet (for the most part…Sjogren's is proving to be a bit stickier).  Learning to love real and nutrient dense food took time, but it is so worth it.   Our bodies are amazing and can heal themselves with proper TLC.  I think it's a "great" time to be gluten free.  There is so much more awareness that even 4 years ago when my family went gluten free.   Feeling better is worth every step of this arduous journey.

DownWithGluten Explorer

ah I remember you too. I don't post on here as much either.  Nice of you to give encouragement to the newbs.

It's been 7.5 years for me now.  Within that time, I've only been "glutened" three times....and each of those times reminds me exactly what all this extra work and frustration is worth. I air on the strict side, and for me, 7.5 years of having to deal with other people's reactions, lack of understanding, eye rolling, confusion, lack of cooperation, backtalk... from friends, family, coworkers, waiters...well, it has taken a toll on me but....it is still worth it in the end for your health. You just have to stand up for yourself, and your own health, even though people will judge you for it and not understand.  Definitely, 100%, body-wise I am better. For me it was an overnight change the moment I eliminated gluten. From daily pain, full blown 'gluten attacks' every 3-6 weeks, or more...and increasing...occurring with the slightest triggers like getting up early, stress. I still don't know how I would have kept a full time job if I hadn't gone gluten free.  So frm that...to just evaporating overnight. No more daily pain, random sickness attacks...it was really depressing me before to be at the mercy of the illness. So, now, I control it.  That's what the diet does for me.

Another plus is there are a LOT more options out there now...and awareness...than even when I started 7 years ago. A lot more products labeled as gluten free, more gluten free food even in non specialty stores...etc.  So, that's a plus :)  Not that I'm saying "oh it's so easy to be gluten free now"...just that, I've seen awareness build over the years and it gives me hope it will get better over time, too.

GottaSki Mentor

Hey...I remember you too!

Thank you...awesome when folks pop back in to encourage the newly diagnosed and those looking for answers to why they aren't improving quickly!

Great to hear you are doing well :)

Kateteich Newbie

I've been gluten free for 9 days.  It seems over whelming, glad to read such an encouraging post. 

GottaSki Mentor

I've been gluten free for 9 days.  It seems over whelming, glad to read such an encouraging post.

Welcome Kate!

It is overwhelming at first, but after some time it will become easier and eventually simple. I was in tears regularly at the grocery store in my early days....and I'm not the only one.

Keep it as simple as possible, stick with mostly whole foods ... Shop the perimeter of the grocery store where they keep the fresh foods...keeping the processed gluten-free items as treats.

If you haven't read this yet...give it a good read, perhaps twice...loads of fast forward info in it:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Hang in there :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I remember you too, of course !! and I was thrilled to see you post in your no-nonsense, totally encouraging way on another thread the other day.

It's always good to read successful healing stories, even for us "veterans".!! ^_^  

So happy to "see you" , sandsurfgirl....and that all's well with you and your family.

Now, hand over some ice cream and a cupcake please!!

Cheers, IH

IrishHeart Veteran

Newbie in da house! Newbie in da house!! :D Give her a cupcake too. 

Welcome Kate...big hugs and do not worry...you are on the road to wellness.

Just remember: "Every day is a healing day". Hang in there We're here for you.

Mwhaley Newbie

I just found out yesterday that I have celiac disease so today is my first official day as gluten free and all I want is a donut lol. So far everyone's comments have been really helpful and encouraging. I had no idea that I need to get gluten free makeup, shampoo, conditioner, etc. It looks like I have a lot of research to do.

IrishHeart Veteran

I just found out yesterday that I have celiac disease so today is my first official day as gluten free and all I want is a donut lol. So far everyone's comments have been really helpful and encouraging. I had no idea that I need to get gluten free makeup, shampoo, conditioner, etc. It looks like I have a lot of research to do.

Without taking this thread too far off course, I want to say this: You do not need to get gluten free makeup, shampoo and conditioner unless you have a wheat allergy on top of celiac.

The only thing you need to scrutinize is lip stick and possibly any facial creams that may end up in your mouth that you will swallow.

I have never seen a toothpaste with gluten in it, BTW

Read this please

Open Original Shared Link

get the book Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler 

and welcome to the celiac family!! You're going to be okay. ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome to you too MW!

Guess what....you can have a donut...just has to be a gluten-free one.

It takes some time to adjust and learn what gluten-free products taste good or how to make things yourself...I make chocolate donuts with butterscotch glaze with donut baking pans that another member told me about...we all share the good products and recipes around here.

Take a look around and ask questions...we all had that first day gluten-free too ;)

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to our new friends!  If you want, go ahead and make an new post to introduce yourself and how you got diagnosed and stuff, in the Coping With section.  

ezgoindude Explorer

As weird as this sounds i am blessed when you guys talk about the "dark times" of your pre diagnosis/diagnosis/recovery times,  it helps put my mind at ease that I'm not crazy when its more than just IBS....

I'll be posting on the coping with as a newbie, as of two days ago I got what for a better term is a conclusion to what I've been trying to heal with the foods I eat, and 3 months into all this I still have relentless symptoms that make you feel like its all for nothing sometimes.

Sorry on the rant, I tend to complain easily,

anyways especially thank you sandsurfgirl and downwithgluten for putting a brighter perspective into all this.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Jackson Newbie

Thanks for posting that! I was diagnosed with celiac early July 2014... have been gluten-free for a little over 3 weeks. I guess I am very impatient lol :) I have had ups and downs. Some of us need reminders that our bodies do take time to heal and it doesn't happen overnight.

I'm glad that you're feeling well on the gluten-free diet! :)

Could you share your recipe and instructions on how to make a peach cobbler in a dutch oven? That sounds SO good!

Super simple! Dump 2 cans of canned peaches with juice in the bottom of a greased dutch oven. Then dump your favorite gluten free vanilla or yellow cake mix over it to cover the peaches. I use Gluten Free Pantry. Then cut up one stick of butter into thin slices and arrange them over the cake mix. Bake at 350 covered for about 20 minutes and then start checking it. It can take a long time so keep going in 10 minute intervals.  The butter will all soak in and the top will start to crisp. 

hello, sandsurfgirl!   :)

folks, this is one of the kind souls who held my (virtual) hand when i was first dx'd - she wasn't all 'pardon me but i have a suggestion' lolz  she was like:  you got this!  kick it in the butt!  also, she understood the Importance of Pasta LOLZ   :D  anyways, she (and others) inspired me to give back.

thank you very much!  thank you for posting and i'm glad you are doing well (pshaw - i knew you would!)   :)

I remember those days Not me! I'm so glad to see some familiar faces around here. I'm sorry for being MIA. 

I remember you too, of course !! and I was thrilled to see you post in your no-nonsense, totally encouraging way on another thread the other day.

It's always good to read successful healing stories, even for us "veterans".!! ^_^  

So happy to "see you" , sandsurfgirl....and that all's well with you and your family.

Now, hand over some ice cream and a cupcake please!!

Cheers, IH

Irish Heart! Good to see you! Here's your cupcake and ice cream... you choose the flavor. LOL

Kinnikckinnick and Katz make great donuts! But don't go there just yet. Let your gut heal. You can have your gluten free donuts in a few weeks or so. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

^Homemade baked gluten free doughnuts are super easy as well! :)

Archived