This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Gluten-free, But I'm So Glad I Don't Have To Give Up....

RunnerNYC

Ursa Major Collaborator

I am pretty much all-food-free, but I'm glad I don't have to give up water, air and sunshine. :ph34r::P:blink:

Just kidding, but some days that's the way it seems to be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jnclelland Contributor
Pizza! Just made another one that looked just like my avatar for dinner tonight. YUM!

I want to know how you make such a yummy-looking pizza without dairy or soy!!! :)

I'm gluten, dairy, and (recently) soy-free, and I'm actually still pretty bummed about losing my soy lattes and most Asian food. But I'm so glad I don't have to give up margaritas! ;)

Jeanne

Guest Doll

Ianm...you are too hilarious!

I'm gluten free (and possibly will be casein free soon :( if I test positive....) and I'm happy I don't have to give up: Coke, Nutella, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Cheetos, Cherry Blasters, Carnation Hot Chocolate, and Cool Ranch Doritos. Of course it's not like anyone should be eating these things often anyway, but it's nice to know I still have *some* choices left!

Guest AutumnE

Im so glad I dont have to give up popcorn or m&m's! I love this thread. As a newbie to this I had no idea I could have funyuns, cheetos, cool ranch doritos or peanut butter cups. No one said I needed them though ;)

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm happy I don't have to give up rice, corn tortillas, popcorn and Spam (its a Hawaii thing).

Elonwy

lonewolf Collaborator
I want to know how you make such a yummy-looking pizza without dairy or soy!!! :)

I'm gluten, dairy, and (recently) soy-free, and I'm actually still pretty bummed about losing my soy lattes and most Asian food. But I'm so glad I don't have to give up margaritas! ;)

Jeanne

I usually use raw goat cheese (this might still be considered "cheating"), but tonight I tried Buffalo milk mozzarella - you gotta love Trader Joe's for their wide variety of cheeses! I only have the cheese a couple of times a month, but I did avoid ALL dairy for about 9 years first. Yeah, I do miss Asian food...

Nantzie Collaborator

Elonwy - I have a friend whose parents are from Hawaii. I think she has gluten intolerance, at the least. She's been keeping a close eye on the food I eat, and is starting to be more open to maybe trying going gluten-free to see what happens. Now that I know Spam is gluten-free, and she can have all those nostalgic recipes, I'm sure she'll be one step closer to giving it a shot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mythreesuns Contributor

I am gluten and casein free, and I'm so glad I didn't have to give up marshmallows and soy lattes!

Oh, and Ian, you're a pig! :P

jennyj Collaborator
I'm glad I didn't have to give up tic-tacs and popcorn!! weird choices, I know, but I'm addicted to tic-tacs!!! :P

I have a friend(not gluten free) who is a tic tac addict too. I never thought of it before. She likes the orange ones.

francelajoie Explorer
I'm really going to have to 2nd chocolate; but in the spirit of contributing something new - ice cream!!! (particularly Haagen Dazs Rocky Road, and Ben & Jerry's Pistachio, Chuncky Monkey and Cherry Garcia).

Ok and this one is lame, but rice. I love white rice. I know, strange.

Same here!!! Love white rice.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Hey guys, I thought this would be fun and interesting. Just fill in the blanks...

I'm (insert gluten-free, soy-free, meat-free, etc here), but I'm so glad I don't have to give up (your answer here-food or not).

I'll start with an easy one.

"I'm gluten-free, but I'm so glad I don't have to give up CHOCOLATE!! (gluten-free) "

and, don't answer that you're celiac free and you're glad you don't have to give up gluten... ;)

im gluten free- milk free- nut free and white suger free, but im glad i dont have to give up wine B)

queenofhearts Explorer
Same here!!! Love white rice.

Actually, this was the first item on the list I wrote when I was diagnosed "Why I'm Lucky"-- "I really like rice."

Even before diagnosis I had four tins in my kitchen, white rice, brown rice, sushi rice & basmati. Plus I actually enjoy rice cakes. Beginning to wonder about the Quaker ones, though...

Leah

oceangirl Collaborator
Actually, this was the first item on the list I wrote when I was diagnosed "Why I'm Lucky"-- "I really like rice."

Even before diagnosis I had four tins in my kitchen, white rice, brown rice, sushi rice & basmati. Plus I actually enjoy rice cakes. Beginning to wonder about the Quaker ones, though...

Leah

I'm glad I don't have to give up the ship- I'm the Captain and I'm going DOWN with this sucker! Sigh...

I'm gluten, dairy, soy and corn- free and today I agree with Ursula- glad I don't have to give up air and all! But I'd have to say wine!

lisa

CarlaB Enthusiast
I'm happy I don't have to give up rice, corn tortillas, popcorn and Spam (its a Hawaii thing).

Elonwy

Spam? Are you crazy? I was hoping we had to give up Spam! :lol:

Actually, I've never had it.

Leah

I've heard people say, or should I say I have seen it written on this board, that Quaker is known for being contaminated.

francelajoie Explorer

Leah

I eat the plain with salt rice cakes. The ingredients are rice and salt! I like some honey almond butter on it..mmmm...sooooo good. If I feel like a treat, i put a few mini chocolate chips or nutella on it too. Man, I need to go eat..hahah

queenofhearts Explorer
I've heard people say, or should I say I have seen it written on this board, that Quaker is known for being contaminated.

Yes, this is why I'm a little worried about them... haven't noticed any problems myself, & I eat a lot of them. I don't care for Lundberg ones, they are too dense for my rice cake moods... I used Mother's for a while until I realized they are just the expensive Quaker brand!

I'd been using Kroger, they claim theirs are gluten-free, but they've stopped carrying the plain ones. Those are the ones I like since I use them for "sandwiches" & breakfast "toast". I wonder anyway if theirs are made by Quaker...

penguin Community Regular
Yes, this is why I'm a little worried about them... haven't noticed any problems myself, & I eat a lot of them. I don't care for Lundberg ones, they are too dense for my rice cake moods... I used Mother's for a while until I realized they are just the expensive Quaker brand!

I'd been using Kroger, they claim theirs are gluten-free, but they've stopped carrying the plain ones. Those are the ones I like since I use them for "sandwiches" & breakfast "toast". I wonder anyway if theirs are made by Quaker...

Quaker reccommends that all celiacs avoid their products. How lame, Quaker, you aren't my friend! :rolleyes:

You may want to try corn thins...I prefer them to rice cakes...they're made by Real Foods, and they're much less akward for "sandwiches"

queenofhearts Explorer
Quaker reccommends that all celiacs avoid their products. How lame, Quaker, you aren't my friend! :rolleyes:

You may want to try corn thins...I prefer them to rice cakes...they're made by Real Foods, and they're much less akward for "sandwiches"

Wow, I didn't know they actually warned us off! That's horrible! Rice cakes seem so perfect for us, would it be that hard to make them safe? Grrr...

I actually do enjoy the corn thins too. Looks like I'll be switching to those. Sigh... another food bites the dust!

Leah

kabowman Explorer

My first thought was my hubby and all he can do for me...but we will keep with the topic and I would have to say, homegrown tomatoes, strawberries, and margaritas!!!!

elonwy Enthusiast

Nantzi- let her know that I make Spam Musubi at home and its really easy. Actually, I make a lot of Hawaiian things at home, I even have a shave ice machine. Most Hawaiian food can be recreated very easily by switching to gluten-free soy sauce. I only get to go home about once a year, so I have to recreate alot of that childhood stuff, cause I miss it so much. Big staple of the hawaiian diet - Sticky rice, totally gluten free. mmmmmm.

I think I'm making Musubi this week, this is making me hungry just talking about it.

Elonwy

wacky~jackie Rookie

I'm just recently gluten free and I'm so glad I didn't have to give up a great steak and baked potato. B)

aikiducky Apprentice

How come noone has mentioned them yet - RAISINS! :D:D:D

I'm gluten free dairy free mostly lectin free and soyfree light - but I can still have bananas... :rolleyes:

Pauliina

Mayflowers Contributor
Beginning to wonder about the Quaker ones, though...

Leah

Funny you should mention that about the Quaker rice cakes. I have indigestion after eating them, hence my feeling that I was thinking I have a rice intolerance. I don't usually get indigestion after eating rice. I LOVE basmati rice even though I don't care for regular rice. I'd hate to have to give that up too..

I'm glad I can still have peanut butter...food of the gods. Of course it's the natural, no salt added type. And NO I'm not getting tested for peanut butter! I draw the line! :lol:

jennyj Collaborator
Funny you should mention that about the Quaker rice cakes. I have indigestion after eating them, hence my feeling that I was thinking I have a rice intolerance. I don't usually get indigestion after eating rice. I LOVE basmati rice even though I don't care for regular rice. I'd hate to have to give that up too..

I'm glad I can still have peanut butter...food of the gods. Of course it's the natural, no salt added type. And NO I'm not getting tested for peanut butter! I draw the line! :lol:

Me too on the peanutbutter. I could give up just about everything else but not my peanutbutter. I have a 5 year old niece who loves it too but if you ask her What does aunt jenny love you more than she'll answer---peanutbutter and she LOVES peanutbutter.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

So many good things! Steak, chocolate, potatoes, fruit, tomatoes (mmmm...).

I think I would die if I had to give up chips :) I am a sucker for Terra kettle chips, and I grew up eating mexican food as well (chips and salsa, bean dip, guac....) Hooray for Mission Tortilla Chips! The first gluten-free thing I ever realized I had in my house!

Archived