This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pet Peeve Regarding The Slaying Of The English Language.

Imanistj

Imanistj Contributor

I am currently nauseated (but definitely not nauseous) every time I hear or read the word-----YUMMY!!!!! Not only on this list, although the use of the word is rampant here, but also TV, radio and newspapers are overdoing this trite word. Like, I go----I can't stand it :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

"..and I'm all like.."

"....and he's all like..."

"...and then I'm like..., and he's like..."

"...and like I go..."

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter was watching Rachel Ray yesterday. I hate it when she says "yummo"!

Was on another forum and kept reading about the "ordainments" on this woman's Christmas tree. I don't know if she was making a joke or what.

On many forums I have seen people confuse the words "wandering" and "wondering".

I've seen that people went to the store and "baught" something.

And one that I've heard far too much of lately is, "Really?", said in a screeching tone of voice.

Lisa Mentor

I can't stand Presidential bad language....."I am going ta work with.." instead of "to".

George #43 was famous for that and now Obama is closely following. A better example should be set.

Frances03 Enthusiast

This one is huge on my list: when people say FUSStrated instead of frustrated. "Oh, I'm getting so fusstrated with my child lately" GRRRRRRRRR!!

another one is when grown adults say "woof" instead of wolf. OH!! and JAG-WIRE instead of jaguar. okay, I might be able to go on all day about this!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I can't stand when people put sounds into words that don't belong. My MIL ends the word safe with a t. It drives me nuts!!! I understand that geographic pronunciation varies, but adding a completely new sound to an existing word is a bit of a stretch... I believe this is called an epenthesis. (There, you learned a new word for today!)

Lisa Mentor
FUSStrated

...or FLUSTRATED - a combination of flustered and frustrated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

Ha! You guys crack me up.

You had best stay away from the "tickle me elbow" thread then.... those folks are doing some crazy thing with spelling! :lol:

Lisa Mentor
Ha! You guys crack me up.

You had best stay away from the "tickle me elbow" thread then.... those folks are doing some crazy thing with spelling! :lol:

The psillies are indeed kArazy. :lol:

Puddy Explorer

Libary instead of library. My friend actually works in one and still calls it the libary. And my personal favorite......ValentiMes Day! Can't tell you how many times I've heard that over the years!

Frances03 Enthusiast

Ohhhhhh I just thought of another one!!!! IRREGARDLESS!!!! Do people not realize that isn't a word at all?? regard-LESS means having no regard, so, you ad IR to the front of it and what? it's like twice as much no regard??? that'd be like saying "you are so irrationaless!

mushroom Proficient

Two pet peeves, both associated with sport: ath-a-lete; and TV sports commentators down here announcing that someone is making his "day-boo" for the country. If you are going to use a french word, at least pronounce it right. OH, and also fill-it for fillet, while we're about it.

jerseyangel Proficient

:lol: I'll have you know it's work to fracture the language the way we do over there! :lol: I'm normally very particular about my spelling, grammar, and punctuation so I usually have to go back through what I have just typed to "silly it up". :P

It's fun, though, and can take the edge off of a bad day ;) Come join us!

wildwood Apprentice

When people say I "seen" it instead of I "saw" it. Or when they say I "could" care less instead of I "could'nt" care less.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've only seen this one recently (past four years or so), but it really annoys me when people say "that's a mute point". It is not a point unable to communicate. It is a MOOT point. As in "The adj. senses of "debatable" and "not worth considering" arose from moot case, earlier simply moot (n.) "discussion of a hypothetical law case" (1531), in law student jargon, in ref. to students gathering to test their skills in mock cases" (Open Original Shared LinkWikipedia, if you prefer.).

There are a couple other ones like this, where people use a homophone instead of the proper word. The texting equivalent of this (u for you) in non-texting contexts also drives me batty.

Salax Contributor

Ok since we are on a Celiac forum, I don't get why people call Celiac...Celiacs? Where did that "s" come from? I have Celiacs disease? No, it's Celiac, there is no s. :blink:

My best friend since I was eight, she says fixing dinner. I use to ask her if dinner was broken. She would glare at me....hehe. I love her! But I have to tease her. She does the same thing with Walmart or Target, it's Walmarts or Targets...where the heck are all these "s" coming from??? <_<

LOL fun post! B)

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Ooooh, this is fun! Loved reading all the responses.

I know this has already been said, but it bears repeating. Using "like" for every other word is annoying as hell.

But what is even more annoying? When it comes from a 35 year old woman trying to be cool and talk like her kids.

Oh, and I'm not a big fan of "I know, right?" at the end of every sentence. Sorry, I have friends who do this, and it just annoys the crap out of me!

Lisa Mentor

My husband, who grew up in the country in the south, would cook a ham and always said that "we could eat on it" all week. (With tiny table and chairs). You can take the man out of the country, but.... :rolleyes:

mushroom Proficient

Youse guys are cracking me up!

Frances03 Enthusiast
Walmart or Target, it's Walmarts or Targets...where the heck are all these "s" coming from??? <_<

Oh my gosh, I have a friend that calls it Costcos!!! DRIVES ME NUTS?? what IS with the S????? So now my husband calls it Costcos just to annoy me!

jerseyangel Proficient

How about using the word "absolutely" far too much when a simple "yes" would do nicely??

Salax Contributor

OH, another one! My roomate, he has a thing for saying "just a bit" every 5 minutes or so....Just a bit.....Gimme Just a bit.....I could slap him LMAO. :P

calico jo Rookie

OHHHH..this is right up my alley. Being from the Northeast, having moved south was quite an adjustment. One syllable words are two, and vice versa. (that's one right there people saying visA versa...VICE versa) or Real A tor, instead of REAL tor. At a job I had for the longest time I thought a man at work's name was DEEK. It was actually Dick. And FayETville is pronounced FATEville. Hell and Hail are both pronounced the same. And instead of "I could use a drink" I MIGHT could use a drink! (HUH?)

Someone who AKS a question instead of ASKING makes me almost explode.

This is fun... :P

mushroom Proficient

Oh yeah, and what about the people who walk acrost the street??

Lisa Mentor
OHHHH..this is right up my alley. Being from the Northeast, having moved south was quite an adjustment. One syllable words are two, and vice versa. (that's one right there people saying visA versa...VICE versa) or Real A tor, instead of REAL tor. At a job I had for the longest time I thought a man at work's name was DEEK. It was actually Dick. And FayETTEville is pronounced FAYETTEville. Hell and Hail are both pronounced the same. And instead of "I could use a drink" I MIGHT could use a drink! (HUH?)

Someone who AKS a question instead of ASKING makes me almost explode.

This is fun... :P

I maybe could think this was funny, if I didn't live in the thick of 'em.

Archived