This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pet Peeve Regarding The Slaying Of The English Language.

Imanistj

Juliebove Rising Star
That's funny. My mom liked to eat tortilla chips. She woud say the "ll" in english as l's instead of the "y" sound.

My husband thinks it's funny to pronounce the "j" in there. Nobody else ever thinks so though. My dad asks for corn "torteelias". *cringe* My mom ordered "crewsonts" for croissants. I didn't do well with French but I do know how that is pronouced.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular
My husband thinks it's funny to pronounce the "j" in there. Nobody else ever thinks so though. My dad asks for corn "torteelias". *cringe* My mom ordered "crewsonts" for croissants. I didn't do well with French but I do know how that is pronouced.

Lol... I do twitch a bit every time someone pronounces croissant with a "t". ;)

I use tummy all the time, but specifically for "the pregnant tummy/belly". It's not quite an abdomen (well, not after a while) and it's not a stomach. And it's not even just a uterus - it's a mass of rearranged and unusually sized things in the region between the breasts and pubic bone. I'm sticking with tummy or belly until I'm done with the postnatal period. :)

Puddy Explorer

Oh....Oh....I just remembered another one that quite a few people on LI seem to use......supposenly instead of supposedly. I don't even bother correcting them anymore!

Lisa16 Collaborator

One of my colleagues pronounces "heirloom" as "hair" loom. And once I saw a sign at a farmer's market where they were selling "air lum" tomatoes.

Here in Minnesota, because of the German influence, we will ask you (when we go to the store, for example) "Do you want to come with?"

Many people around here will pronounce a th as a T. So we hear "Tursday." Apparently this comes from an a certain ethnic group that immigrated here in the 19th century (Bohemians, I think).

And then there are the dreaded words: sucker (from a tree, which some people pronounce as "sooker,") gist (which some people say with a hard g--list grist without the t) and giblets (also said often with the hard g.)

Wolicki Enthusiast
That's funny. My mom liked to eat tortilla chips. She woud say the "ll" in english as l's instead of the "y" sound.

That reminded me. My late mother used to love to eat at El Pollo Loco. Let's see if I can do this:

"el polla locka" :D

Swimmr Contributor
:blink: :blink:

Where in Sam Hill do you live???

North Carolina...

I had a friend who liked Mexican food. Anytime we went out to eat, she ordered

Freheetas

What is a freheeta?

Also when my mom goes to a mexican restaurant she will over pronounce things...as if she's talking to a baby..."Can I have verde sauce....green...ver-de....sauce"

OOHHhh and woooder for water.

dawg instead of dog. Gawd instead of God, Cawfee for coffee, or poieem for poem.

Any incorrect emphasis on syllables drives me insane. Like SOURcream, hotSAUCE, CREAMcheese. Maybe they aren't incorrect, but it sounds weird to me.

Swimmr Contributor
That reminded me. My late mother used to love to eat at El Pollo Loco. Let's see if I can do this:

"el polla locka" :D

bwahahahahahaha! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
North Carolina...

North Carolina is a big state. Swimmr lives on the other end. :P

mushroom Proficient
Many people around here will pronounce a th as a T. So we hear "Tursday." Apparently this comes from an a certain ethnic group that immigrated here in the 19th century (Bohemians, I think).

My MIL (English/Welsh) always said Saraday for Saturday :huh: And then there are the Mundy, Toosdy, Wensdy types :lol:

lizard00 Enthusiast
North Carolina is a big state. Swimmr lives on the other end. :P

You mean the mountain folk end???? :lol::lol::lol:

Swimmr... I heard that everyday growing up in southeastern VA. E V E R Y D A Y

The city I grew up in had a language specific to it's inhabitants. Skreet, pruncil (for pencil), fity cent, the list could go on and on, and on, and on.

Mtndog Collaborator

Celiac's AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I have Lyme's Disease too. You know, named after that famous guy Joe Lyme :lol:

We were just talking today about my dad. I Love him but...... Alzheimer's Disease.

Everyone in his retirement community has All timer's Disease.

He loves those hyBIRD cars.

Bush was a war mongler.

I don't even notice it anymore because I'd cry :lol:

I'm teaching ESL right now and they speak English better than at least 50% of native speakers! I'm also teaching a college writing course and if I see one more its/it's mistake, I'm flunking 'em all and going out for frejitas, tortiLLas and margaritas!

curlyfries Contributor
..."Can I have verde sauce....green...ver-de....sauce"

This reminds me......

Our local high school has The PAC......Performing Arts Center

Almost EVERYBODY calls it The PAC Center <_<

psawyer Proficient

"PIN Number" Doh--it stands for Personal Identification Number. Redundant tautology, n'est-ce pas? :huh:

"ATM Machine" - Uh, what did you think the M stood for? Money?

Darn210 Enthusiast
Then you would really hate it when people say JU ly for July and IN surance stressining on the in.(not sure how to type it to convey the mispronuncion).

I had a High School Spanish teacher that used the phrase . . . "you're putting the em-PHAS-is on the wrong syl-LAB-le" when he was correcting our (spanish) pronounciation. I want to use that phrase on other people . . . but keep it to myself instead.

Oh then there is warsh for wash. How did that r get in there?

Speaking as someone who was brought up in an environment that "warshed" clothes and "warshed" dishes, I can tell you that it was my mother that put the R in there. When I went to college and was teased about "warsh", I learned how to say "wash". Here's the rub (<--does that one get on anyone's nerves? :P ) . . . after I learned how to say "wash", when I was home for the occassional visit from college, I would get teased about saying "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhsh" (said drawn out in a sing-song voice.)

And my addition . . . people ordering their food "to go" in the drive-thru.

Notice to all ye psillies . . . I'm keeping track of which phrases annoy you most . . . to be used at the appropriate (button-pushing) times on the Tickle thread . . . bwaaahhhaaahhhaaaa!

mushroom Proficient
Notice to all ye psillies . . . I'm keeping track of which phrases annoy you most . . . to be used at the appropriate (button-pushing) times on the Tickle thread . . . bwaaahhhaaahhhaaaa!

Em's way ahead of you, picked it up and referred to "youse Yanks" when talking about TG. Button already pushed :o

Juliebove Rising Star
One of my colleagues pronounces "heirloom" as "hair" loom. And once I saw a sign at a farmer's market where they were selling "air lum" tomatoes.

Here in Minnesota, because of the German influence, we will ask you (when we go to the store, for example) "Do you want to come with?"

And then there are the dreaded words: sucker (from a tree, which some people pronounce as "sooker,") gist (which some people say with a hard g--list grist without the t) and giblets (also said often with the hard g.)

I was watching a cooking show and I swear the chef first said giblets with the hard "g" and then later said it right.

Juliebove Rising Star

Lately I've noticed people on commercials and shows mispronouncing the words garden and gardens. They say it like it is two words. garrrr DENS.

amybeth Enthusiast

Don't have time to read the whole thread right now - sorry if this is a repeat. . .

It makes my skin crawl when people say "I could care less"...that means you still care some. If you have to say it say "I couldn't care less."

Oh, and PACifically instead of SPECifically...grrrr!

My mom is famous for mispronouncing words ....adding letters....albLum instead of album....Pattren instead of pattern. For some reason her goofs just make me chuckle, though.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I mostly just get frustrated at myself when I keep pronouncing anemone as "anenome". Every since I was a kid, ah-nen-oh-mee, sounded right, and ah-nehm-oh-nee was hard to pronounce. Unfortunately, as we have a reef tank, which has four anemones in it, this actually does come up frequently! :lol:

TrillumHunter Enthusiast
I mostly just get frustrated at myself when I keep pronouncing anemone as "anenome". Every since I was a kid, ah-nen-oh-mee, sounded right, and ah-nehm-oh-nee was hard to pronounce. Unfortunately, as we have a reef tank, which has four anemones in it, this actually does come up frequently! :lol:

We were at an aquarium one time and a little girl pointed one out to her mom and pointed out an anemone, saying it correctly. Her mom said, "That's not right! It an A-KNEE-Moan." What a moment! I didn't want to correct the mom in front of her little girl, so I pulled my son over and said, "Oh! What a pretty ah-nehm-oh-nee!"

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I'll tell one on myself. I grew up hearing Massachusetts pronounced as Mass-a-two-sh!ts. I didn't ever realize I was saying it wrong until I met my husband. The first time I said it he said, "WHAT did you say!?"

I'm still careful about saying that word...

Lisa16 Collaborator

animal as "aminal." I wonder if it isn't dilsexia-- I mean dyslexia.

mushroom Proficient
I'll tell one on myself. I grew up hearing Massachusetts pronounced as Mass-a-two-sh!ts. ..

Ah, now we're talking about Mondegreens (As in "They shot poor Edward dead, and Lady Mondegreen)" which was actually "laid 'im on de green")

And I'll tell one on myself, as not a native born American (so can be excused) :P The Star Spangled Banner: "And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave truth to the lie that our flag was till there." :lol:

Lisa16 Collaborator

Oh song lyrics are the worst!

Take the CSI theme song-- it goes "cooool water? ooh-uh!"

summerteeth Enthusiast

I have three, all courtesy of my grandmother:

"malk" = milk

"ness-le" = Nestle

"ma-soo-lee-um" = mausoleum

Oh! And "warsh" for wash. So four.

Archived