Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death)

• Please log in to reply

Poll: If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death) (43 member(s) have cast votes)

If you have celiac disease, would you make your children follow a gluten-free diet?

1. I'd keep them off gluten and make sure they always ate gluten free for life (or at least until they were out of home...) (21 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

2. I'd introduce gluten into their diet when I feel it's best and test them annually with Cyrex/EnteroLab/Other Lab for gluten problems. (10 votes [23.26%])

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

3. I'd allow them to consume gluten and introduce foods at the time I feel it's best and only take action when they start showing symptoms. (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

46 replies to this topic

#1 alicewa

alicewa

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

If you have celiac disease, would you keep your children gluten free for life? (i.e. from birth to death)

I think I would. Especially since gluten sensitivity seems to correlate with autism, schizophrenia, IDDM, heart disease, cancer, autoimmune thyroid disease, arthritis and more...

Eventually I think I'd let them choose once they were out of home but I would not be the one to choose for them.

What are your thoughts? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

This is an interesting question. I assume you are talking about children who do not have celiac disease.

If I had a non-celiac child, I would not want to penalize or handicap them with my diet. That said, I have often thought that if I had known in time I would not have had kids at all. There are lots of reasons.

One is that I would not want any of my kids to go through what we all experience daily, including inconsiderate family/friends, brain-dead doctors, etc.

At the same time, allowing gluten into the house would create an unsafe environment for me. It is the same reasoning that dissuades me from ever wanting to date any non-celiacs.

My daughter just had a child and I reminded her that the baby should be tested since I have celiac disease. She surprised me by responding that she knew already because she had recently discovered that she has it. I did not know that.

Celiac disease simply is not something I would want to knowingly pass on.

#3 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

This is a hard one to answer. We are dealing with it now with my 2 year old grandbaby. I am self diagnosed celiac/gluten intolerant. My daughter has been tested, came out negative, but accepts that whether or not the test is accurate, she must be gluten free. She decided to start her baby out gluten free. When they are so little, they can't tell you why they are fussy or why they won't eat. If she were eating gluten, we would always wonder. My daughter has not yet decided if she should introduce gluten when her child is better able to communicate how she feels.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#4 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

I wouldn't be so reluctant to introduce gluten into their diets if it were just celiac, except I've heard from various studies that mice fed wheat-based diets had the highest rates of other autoimmune diseases, notably IDDM and others. I used to think that animal proteins were the cause of autoimmune disease, but all the new stuff out there seems to be pointing more and more to wheat. :huh:

My fear is that if I introduced gluten and my child developed MS, IDDM, Autism, Arthritis, Schizophrenia, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, and a host of other things at any time in life; I may always be wondering if just a simple difference in diet would have made all the difference. :unsure:

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

NO!! Let them eat gluten. I would not warp my kids' childhood that way unless I knew it were necessary.

As for developing other conditions, think back on all of the studies over the decades that have pointed to something dietary causing something, only to have it reversed in the next study. Look at how many times they've gone back and forth over coffee, for instance.

richard

#6 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

If I was to have another baby now that I'm diagnosed, I would keep it gluten free until it was a little older because of the cross contamination issue. My youngest son and I have celiac and my oldest is non celiac gluten intolerent. However, I'm not having more children.

When I was diagnosed both of my kids were on a full gluten diet. I had them both tested and were negative, so they continued an normal diet. Two years later and because of new symptoms my youngest son developed we had him retested. He was positive so he has been gluten free since. As for my oldest, he was having his own issues so I had him scoped. All his blood work every year has been very negative. His scope was negative also, but I decided to trial him gluten free for three months. It made a big difference in him. He did do a brief challenge and then laid all the cards on the table. I gave him reasons to stay gluten free and reasons not to stay gluten free. I gave him the choice on what to do. He decided to stay gluten free for now because he said he felt so much better. Pretty big decison for an 11 year old.

Bottom line you have to decide on what is best for you.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#7 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

My fear is that if I introduced gluten and my child developed MS, IDDM, Autism, Arthritis, Schizophrenia, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, and a host of other things at any time in life; I may always be wondering if just a simple difference in diet would have made all the difference. :unsure:

Nowadays, this is a fear that all parents should have…and not just about gluten.

Everyday, people are exposed to literally thousands of chemicals, many of which are dangerous and can cause eventual problems. Worse yet, people are unknowingly taking part in a huge food safety experiment, namely GMO’s. The long term safety of these has not been proven and yet they are not required to be labeled as GMO’s. As a result, any problems that might start to manifest themselves cannot be correlated to the GMO’s.

If you have not done so already, read a book such as Slow Death by Rubber Duck by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie.

I’ve been changing my lifestyle with the aim of reducing exposure to toxins:

- I drink only distilled water. No tap or bottled water.
- I eat organic as much as possible.
- I fix almost everything from scratch.
- I avoid all canned food because there are chemicals that leach from the linings.
- I pass on seafood since none of it is totally free of contamination.
- Outside, I removed all my grass and implemented a natural landscaping. I still have one of the best looking yards in the neighborhood but no longer need chemical fertilizers, chemical insecticides (lawn insects) or chemical herbicides (weeds). I also don’t need to burn fossil fuel to mow the lawn.

If I still had kids at home, the above measures would do more for them than keeping them gluten-free (assuming of course they did not have celiac disease).

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have a 17 year old daughter who was the most awful baby ever. She cried nonstop for months. We tried all sorts of formulas thinking this that or some other thing was causing her problems but nothing helped. She had bowel issues her whole life. After talking about my diagnosis she went gluten free and for the first time in her life is beginning to feel healthy. While it is doubtful that my husband and I will ever have a child of our own, I have decided that if we are blessed with one our child will be gluten free. I see no reason to make a child suffer and be sick for no reason at all. Even though it's been only 2 months I rarely feel deprived and there is no reason a child would either, especially with my planned monthly trips to a gluten free bakery for what are the world's best cupcakes.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I would have kept mine gluten-free during early childhood if I had been diagnosed. If only for my own safety. While I would keep a gluten free home I wouldn't stop them from eating gluten outside the home when they reached school age unless they had symptoms. There is no way to keep them gluten free from birth till death though as when children become young adults they will do as they want as far as food and life choices go.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think I saw a study about not giving children under 2 years old gluten. Seems like it said that more reactions were likely to occur in kids if they ate wheat before the age of two. Anybody remember that study? Anyhow, if my memory is right, which it sometimes is, (occasionally) that could be a good reason to not give them gluten until they are 2 years old. of course the link I found kind of says the opposite, it figures. So IMHO on my paragraph above. There is also some question if it is possible to get good antibodie test results from young children. So that is another catch 22. If you can't reliably test them for reactions with a doctor's visit, then you have to figure it out for yourself based on what ever you can. And if the aren't able to verbalize the problem, or have non-GI tract symptoms, it could be kind of difficult to do that.

Wheat Allergies and your Baby - When Can Your Baby Have Wheat?

Ok slowly having a brain reaction. Something bubbled up to the top finally. I think it was soy that they said should not be introduced early, as it can cause additional allergic reactions to develop. Well, I can't find a link for that either. But it was a study about children with casein allergy who were switched to soy formula, and they then developed additional food allergies. Not a good change for them. IHMO there is a study out there in the webisphere saying pretty much that.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#11 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't think that living gluten free is tragic, and I would help my family be gluten free. I do think it is odd that so many people are obsessed with eating gluten, often with a chunk of dairy. It seems that many people focus their diets on processed gluten foods with dairy, and I think *that* is tragic.

What my kids did away from home would be primarily up to them (assuming they are capable of cleaning themselves sufficiently when returning home), and if they started having symptoms/issues, we would work through that together. My kids seem quite pleased to have a nice selection of gluten free foods to eat when away from home, and we have had many gluten eating people comment that they envy the foods we eat.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Oh...if only one doctor of the many, many I saw in the 42 years before I was dx'd had discovered a gluten problem in my children's Mom! Not only would I have avoided over twenty years of increasingly poor health -- my children would have avoided many health problems....any parent will tell you that one day of your child being sick is far worse than being sick yourself.

As I can't re-write my family's history - I can only guess that if one is fortunate enough to discover you need to be gluten free prior to having a family it would be quite simple to keep your small children gluten free for the first several years of life -- once they hit the Kindergarten or First Grade lunch table it would not be possible to keep them from trying gluten should they want to try it. With my children had I known Celiac could be causing the different and miscellaneous health problems they experienced before going gluten-free as teens and young adults...again can't re-write history.

I agree with another poster...our family doesn't consider gluten free a punishment now that we have made the complete transition == we have replicated all but a few items and each of my children and grandchildren have much improved health so we all feel grateful to have control of health on our dinner plates :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

my kids are already grown - if i had known that i had celiac when they were little, i would have (o gosh, easy to say now! but when they were growing up i could barely afford to feed them cheap wheat food! there are 4 of them...)

son (now 26) has discovered an article in his body building magazine (not listening to his MOTHER telling him he may be gluten intolerant at the very least) that says gluten is ruining his physique - not to mention he has always *always* had digestive issues, even as an infant. so last week he went gluten free completely. he felt so good, he had to go ahead and eat a fast food burger. haha - if he wasn't convinced, he is now! he was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 19 - i now wonder if he was fed gluten-free when his body was developing that maybe he wouldn't have had the diabetes onset??

i don't know. two of my daughters have (not me) a different biological mother, so would it be fair to them to make them eat gluten-free ie, no mcdonalds, pizza, etc? feed them gluten and the other two gluten-free? gosh... i can hear it now: HOW COME THEY GET TO HAVE ______ AND I HAFTA EAT ________? sigh. maybe God had mercy on me that i didn't have to decide.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 Kansas

Kansas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

I think the whole world be better off gluten free. A long time ago we had hogs being produced on our farm. If we wanted a better price, we added wheat to their diet to fatten them out. I am sure the meat wasn't improved but it put more dollars in my pocket at sale time. We are an obese nation, I think gluten being in everything processed is the culprit, plus I think a lot of the auto-immune diseases are because of gluten. I personally like my gluten free diet.

#15 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I would keep my children gluten free as long as they lived in my home.
I well remember as a child feeling spacey, shaky, weak, anxious, nervous and having a stomach ache all the time.
It was normal to me and I thought everyone felt that way, they just handled it better than I did.
When I did complain of feeling ill, sick to my stomach or stayed home from school, the teachers and my mom thought it was just anxiety or being shy around peers or avoiding school.
It took me until 47 to figure out that all of these things are the the feeling of being glutened.
How on earth can a child communicate all the symptoms of being glutened?

I don't feed any children gluten and I never will. My sisters kids and my friends kids know they get gluten free treats at my house.
Gluten costs too many people too many years of their lives.
It should be a controlled substance in my opinion.
If it is true that 1/133 have Celiac and don't know it, then at least there should be a Celiac warning on every loaf of bread and package of cookies just the way cigarettes are labelled.
May be hazardous to your health.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: