arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: If You Have Celiac Disease, Would You Keep Your Children Gluten Free For Life? (I.e. From Birth To Death) (43 member(s) have cast votes)

If you have celiac disease, would you make your children follow a gluten-free diet?

1. I'd keep them off gluten and make sure they always ate gluten free for life (or at least until they were out of home...) (21 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

2. I'd introduce gluten into their diet when I feel it's best and test them annually with Cyrex/EnteroLab/Other Lab for gluten problems. (10 votes [23.26%])

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

3. I'd allow them to consume gluten and introduce foods at the time I feel it's best and only take action when they start showing symptoms. (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I say no way! Let them enjoy gluten like most people do. I can't imagine growing up without enjoying pizza's and cakes, and bread. I know they make gluten free alternatives to all these foods, but so far as I can tell the alternatives are pretty blah.

There are some pretty yummy alternatives to those things, I do think that if a child was brought up gluten free they wouldn't know the difference since they'd never had gluten filled pizza. That was the hardest swap for me, I know!
~**caselynn**~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've had pizza that as compared to thin crust, which I absolutely love, is every bit as delicious as it's gluten filled counter parts. I've also had cupcakes from a gluten free bakery that are better than anything I ever had before in my life, hands down and without question. My husband even loves the cake pops, which are the same batter, just bite sized. (He's been a gluten eater til about 2 weeks ago.)

Like Caselynn says, you will never know what you're missing if you never have it. For my oldest daughter, had she grown up gluten free and decided at 12 or 13 to eat her best friend's pizza or something she would have gotten so sick she never would have done so again in her life. I could have saved her a lifetime of pain and suffering. She has no sense of smell, you can't imagine the guilt I feel over that. She almost died when she was almost 2 months old, she got RSV which became pneumonia which was probably her celiac trigger.

A lifetime of pain, suffering and health problems for a pizza? Seriously? I simply lived the past 3 1/2 years of my life housebound, a lot of people have almost died. Some people's kids have almost died. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have risked my kid's lives for a pizza that tastes different. It's ridiculous.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: