This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

mushroom Proficient

Lisa, that sounds awfully like the traditional Kiwi Christmas dinner (although turkeys are becoming more popular, and thus cheaper). That's what hubs wanted (the lamb that is) - note to self, make more mint sauce - but of course I won't have the potatoes. I will do roast veg - red onions, squash, sweet potato, parsnip - and asparagus is in full swing here (no peas for this gal although they DO go with the mint sauce :(), and rather than the pie we will have individual pavlovas with strawberries and Kiwifruit on the whipped cream (just might marinade those strawberries ;) )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

I LOVE lamb, (not a mint sauce fan, though) but alas, no one except my beloved Dad would eat it so....that is not what we are having.....man, bummer... <_<

anyhoo....Going to be a bit busy tomorrow with hub's aunt here (she is an 85 year old sweetheart who loves her manhattans) so

I am making her what SHE likes. I do love her so! :wub:

Dinner for Christmas Eve will be:

Shrimp cocktail

Stuffed portabella mushrooms (with crabmeat)

Deviled eggs (mustard and horseradish)

Applewood smoked ham with a fruited glaze

Potatoes gratin

roasted asparagus

cheesy dinner rolls

Cheesecake with vanilla spiked whipped cream and/blueberry coulis

Brandy Alexanders ( I "create" one of those for her --while we watch "A Christmas Carol"--the 1951 version, of course with Alastair Sim because she likes both of those--and I confess, so do I)

And a Merry Christmas to all.!!! I'll be doing "encores " on Christmas Day.... and resting...

Blessings to you all. xxoo IH

GottaSki Mentor

Lisa, that sounds awfully like the traditional Kiwi Christmas dinner (although turkeys are becoming more popular, and thus cheaper). That's what hubs wanted (the lamb that is) - note to self, make more mint sauce - but of course I won't have the potatoes. I will do roast veg - red onions, squash, sweet potato, parsnip - and asparagus is in full swing here (no peas for this gal although they DO go with the mint sauce :(), and rather than the pie we will have individual pavlovas with strawberries and Kiwifruit on the whipped cream (just might marinade those strawberries ;) )

no scalloped potatoes for me -- I saved plenty of room for dessert just having lamb, mint sauce and vegies ;)

and no peas here either -- those are up with mashed potatoes for Hubby's family tomorrow night

but I had PIE -- was inspired by my favorite pie purchased in nearby Julian during a drive/hike in the local mountains on Friday -- my pre-dx favorite was "Mom's" Apple Boysenberry Crumb -- we used to get it every time we camped up that way -- anyway I bought one for tonight's meal -- rare gluten crumbs were allowed for this special treat -- and wanted to make one that my sons could eat safely and ended up making it grain and dairy free so I could eat it too -- tasted fantastic -- very close to my old favorite :)

GottaSki Mentor

I LOVE lamb, (not a mint sauce fan, though) but alas, no one except my beloved Dad would eat it so....that is not what we are having.....man, bummer... <_<

I was never a mint jelly fan -- always provided it for my Dad -- this year I forgot to buy jelly - we made a simple sauce with fresh chopped mint, agave and wine vinegar -- I did like this one -- and it was so simple.

IrishHeart Veteran

I was never a mint jelly fan -- always provided it for my Dad -- this year I forgot to buy jelly - we made a simple sauce with fresh chopped mint, agave and wine vinegar -- I did like this one -- and it was so simple.

It's those dishes or sauces we create out of necessity--fresh and simple--that are the best sometimes, yes? yaay for you!

(learning to punt in the kitchen (and in life) is essential.) Best laid plans and all....

just learned Aunt Ann has a cold and her COPD is acting up, Needs her oxygen tank to sleep, so she will not be sleeping over.

oh well :( ...... the nightcaps and the movie are out LOL and hopefully the snow will not start falling until we have brought her back home safely.

Don't want to run into any reindeer....

IrishHeart Veteran

HOLIDAY WORKOUT PLAN..............

att0000111.webp?w=500

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Happy Christmas lovely folks. Take it easy, see you the other side. Those cabana boys are gonna need a work out after all that stuffing.

Off to Mums for gammon and mash.

Take care

Mw x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

My cookies still have not made themselves. <_<

Turns out though that today is a perfect Christmas Eve. It is snowing lightly, I have a few errands to run, but nothing urgent. I'll get it all done before lunch. Heck, I'm still in my jammies at my computer at 9:30. Before dinner I'll have the counter covered in fresh baked cookies, the yard will have a few inches of fresh snow and by tonight we'll be able to curl up with some hot chocolate. By all accounts, I do believe it will be a perfect day. :D

Persei V. Enthusiast

Merry Christmas, guys!

The entire family is having a gluteny dinner, though, and I will have to arrange myself with beans and some meat.

Adalaide Mentor

First kind of cookies, done! I may have eating a half dozen or so while they were still dough. :ph34r: Getting done in time with all my cookies so I can cook supper is not looking good. Especially since I can't be on my feet too long at once without terrible cramping so I need frequent breaks to let my legs rest. Oh well, I guess we're having cookies for supper!

GottaSki Mentor

That's it - snow, jammies and gluten-free cookies - I'm headed to addie's!

Teasing aside - today is a wonderful day because I am once again vertical and gaining strength daily - today I seem to be possessed by Cindy Lou Who - my house is looking incredibly cheery and bright -- we are just about ready to put the Roast Beast in the Oven -- the Grinch best not stop here or s/he may be killed with kindness today ;)

Also on the menu for my hubby's gaggle of relies is mashed potatoes, gravy and peas.

Starters are Shrimp with "grandma's chili sauce" that is the brand and it is awesome - sadly not nightshade free; chips with spinach dip and cruchmaster crackers with our beloved RBJ (thank you L2T).

Blueberry Cheesecake to wrap it up - oh teeny tiny mason jars of RBJ and Sugar Scrub (thank you Alex) for parting gifts.

This forum means the world to me and has been the bright spot during many dark days ---

Thank you all for being here - "Happy Christmas to all and to ALL a good night!"

IrishHeart Veteran

This forum means the world to me and has been the bright spot during many dark days ---

Thank you all for being here - "Happy Christmas to all and to ALL a good night!"

Ditto, ditto and ditto ...amen to all Ski has said.

kisses, IH

jerseyangel Proficient

Merry Christmas, foodies:). I'm up to my elbows in pie crust and cookie dough.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Adalaide Mentor

Done baking in plenty of time to rest up, clean the kitchen and make some dinner later. I'm just about ready to crawl back into some toasty warm jammies. I have more snow on order and want my pants to still fit at the end of the week so anyone who wants to come help me eat all these cookies is more than welcome to! I've got ginger snaps and orange cream filled somethings. They are to die for! Merry Christmas everyone!! :D

GingerSnaps_zpsa79f4801.webp

OrangeCookies_zps81c5e627.webp

IrishHeart Veteran

Done baking in plenty of time to rest up, clean the kitchen and make some dinner later. I'm just about ready to crawl back into some toasty warm jammies. I have more snow on order and want my pants to still fit at the end of the week so anyone who wants to come help me eat all these cookies is more than welcome to! I've got ginger snaps and orange cream filled somethings. They are to die for! Merry Christmas everyone!! :D

Holy smokes! Those orange filled somethings look amazing! The hubs was looking over my shoulder and said "ooh, whose are those? I'll be right over!" I told him he should get started now as he has long walk.

Enjoy the toasty jammies and the cookies.

It snowed a bit overnight here and I've got a White Christmas. whoohooo Hope you got some too!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular
. whoohooo Hope you got some too!

:-) :-) :-)

What are we, schoolgirls?

He.

IrishHeart Veteran

:-) :-) :-)

What are we, schoolgirls?

He.

I meant snow, young lady... what are YOU thinkin? :D

Hitting the Christmas grog early over there, smarty pants?

he he

Adalaide Mentor

Some people have a one track mind. :rolleyes: I got some! We have half a foot of fresh snow and it is awesome. I hope everyone who got some is staying safe and warm today. :lol:

I felt a little stupid not having orange sugar for the orange cookies, but I bought what was available. You know, they're just the cookies out of the back of the December Living Without. I think they were called sleigh bells? The recipe also said to make them with lemon but that didn't sound exciting at all and my husband is a sucker for orange anything. They're incredibly easy, even if they didn't come out looking just like the picture.

Presents are opened and a ham is cooking. I've now got the whole afternoon to do absolutely nothing but wait until it is time to throw more things in the oven. I'm almost considering a snowy afternoon in the hot tub to ease my sore legs. The thought of getting back out in the cold is the only thing stopping me. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

Some people have a one track mind. :rolleyes: I got some! We have half a foot of fresh snow and it is awesome. I hope everyone who got some is staying safe and warm today. :lol:

I felt a little stupid not having orange sugar for the orange cookies, but I bought what was available. You know, they're just the cookies out of the back of the December Living Without. I think they were called sleigh bells? The recipe also said to make them with lemon but that didn't sound exciting at all and my husband is a sucker for orange anything. They're incredibly easy, even if they didn't come out looking just like the picture.

Presents are opened and a ham is cooking. I've now got the whole afternoon to do absolutely nothing but wait until it is time to throw more things in the oven. I'm almost considering a snowy afternoon in the hot tub to ease my sore legs. The thought of getting back out in the cold is the only thing stopping me. :ph34r:

:lol: .......let's hope everyone got some of whatever makes them jolly--there, that should cover all the bases!

If'n I were there with you, I'd be opting for the hot tub....man, this body could use one of those. Many years ago, we decided to go with building the pool (yes, we put it in ourselves) because of course, I was younger, not sick yet nor stiff as the tin man and swam like a fish.( sigh.... shoulda gone for the hot tub... :rolleyes:) Have to start looking for the "old people homes" with hot tubs now. he he

I love all things orangy too...and the cookies look divine, hon. I may need to check out that recipe, although I do NOT need

more yummy treats this week. I have had my share.... and even the sweatpants are tight. (that's not good. not good at all)

Sora! honestly, girl...........where the hell are those muu muus??

sora Community Regular

:lol: .......let's hope everyone got some of whatever makes them jolly--there, that should cover all the bases!

If'n I were there with you, I'd be opting for the hot tub....man, this body could use one of those. Many years ago, we decided to go with building the pool (yes, we put it in ourselves) because of course, I was younger, not sick yet nor stiff as the tin man and swam like a fish.( sigh.... shoulda gone for the hot tub... :rolleyes:) Have to start looking for the "old people homes" with hot tubs now. he he

I love all things orangy too...and the cookies look divine, hon. I may need to check out that recipe, although I do NOT need

more yummy treats this week. I have had my share.... and even the sweatpants are tight. (that's not good. not good at all)

Sora! honestly, girl...........where the hell are those muu muus??

I have decided to forget about Muu Muu's. We should all be calling ourselves Botticelli Babes.

Tonight was encores from last nights turkey dinner.

sora Community Regular

Ok, that was strange. Why did my comment go inside the box? :huh:

kareng Grand Master

You could go back and edit it. You typed before the final [. Quote ]

GottaSki Mentor

And done -- last holiday visitors were here for lunch and are GONE :)

Three dinners and one lunch has this goose cooked - well I'm still going for my afternoon walk -- then for dinner

pork chops

butternut squash fries

asparagus - roasted with garlic

and "chocolate mousse type substance" for all -- I love meals that we all eat the same thing :)

All this talk of snow has me itching to click into my bindings -- when hubby gets home he'll hear of my new plan for Kirkwood and soon!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

After all that celebrating, perhaps you are "quote challenged"?

You could go back and edit it. You typed before the final [. Quote ]

Premature quotus interruptus?

(now, that "made up phrase" should put Adalaide right over the edge :lol: )

And done -- last holiday visitors were here for lunch and are GONE :)

All this talk of snow has me itching to click into my bindings -- when hubby gets home he'll hear of my new plan for Kirkwood and soon!!!

holymotherofpearl, Ski....!! ...vertical AND schussing soon!....okay, now I am crying. I am so happy for you, sweets!

Dinner tonight was:

Lasagne

(because we may lose power tomorrow and I can heat squares of it over the wood stove :))

and

pots au chocolat

... with whipped cream

because apparently, we did not have enough fattening foods the last 2 days?

Adalaide Mentor

Snow I will take. We got another half a foot so far today and it is still coming down out there. The idea of hurtling myself down a mountain in the freezing cold? Pass. I will sip some cocoa and think of you though!

Premature quotus interruptus?

(now, that "made up phrase" should put Adalaide right over the edge :lol: )

You're a riot! I'm a little slow tonight so I had to reread that to get it. I've polished off half a bottle of non-alcoholic sangria and somehow I'm still muddled.

The sangria is to celebrate. I got a 6-pack of Venice crusts for Christmas so we had pizza for supper. I've tested and found that as long as I only indulge a little I won't get a rash, so I went ahead and made a pizza with fresh mozzarella. The crust is the perfect in between of crispy and chewy and I ate almost half a pizza. :ph34r: I'm going to have to get the dust off my elliptical tomorrow or go buy some new spanx.