This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free Shampoo

BobbyKat LittleCub

BobbyKat LittleCub Rookie

Since I'm losing my hair, I probably need to buy a gluten free shampoo. Can anyone tell me what brands are safe to use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I use Garnier. Dove and Suave will also label gluten ingredients. If you prefer organic good labelers are Shikai and Giovanni and Himalaya even says gluten free on the bottles. There are others but those are the only ones I am familiar with. I like the Himalaya but have trouble with getting it out of the bottle since the bottles are very stiff. They have redesigned the packages to make it easier to dispense but I haven't bought it since the change so don't know how much improvement there is.

I lose hair with either soy or gluten and find extra biotin to be helpful in regrowing.

shadowicewolf Proficient

^ i use the same brand. :)

rgarton Contributor

I use The Body Shop banana shampoo and ocnditioner (smells amazing!!!), or the ice blue shampoo (wakes you u in the morning). All gluten, wheat, soya free :)

moose07 Apprentice

oh my gosh! I've been concerned about my hair falling out too. I even cut it pretty short so that I wouldn't have to watch it fall out anymore. I never thought my shampoo could be contributing. Now I feel dumb for not thinking about this.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Do you have wavy or curly hair? I went "no 'poo" (I use an occasional surfactant-free soap like dr. Bronner's, and lots of regular conditioning, the book "curly girl" or the Internet has lots of info), and my hair felt a lot better and shed less. That was pre-gluten-free, and now that I'm gluten-free, my hair feels amazing and I'm shedding a more normal amount.

catsmeow Contributor

I use Alba hawaiian hair wash, it's organic. I love it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Owning a salon, the shampoo thing has been an issue for me too. I just can't seem to wash my hair without the shampoo running down my face no matter how hard I try. I know how damaging store brand shampoos are to hair ESPECIALLY if you get your hair colored or highlighted. Paul Mitchell is by no means the best salon brand but the Awapui shampoo smells great AND is gluten free. No itchy scalp or worries about accidental ingestion!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

We use JR Ligget shampoo bars. Very gentle.

I do have to use something to shake it up every few weeks - remove residue / mildly strip but had to do that with Aveda, too.

Lesx2 Newbie

Costco Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner. Both gluten-free and surprisingly good. Also Aveda products.

BobbyKat LittleCub Rookie

Thanks for the input guys, I thought I'd try this one since I have psoriasis & excema.

Is there any gluten ingredients in ingredients listed below?

Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo plus Conditioner

Active ingredient

Salicylic acid 3%

Inactive ingredients

purified water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, citric acid, cocamidopropyl

betaine, lauryl glucoside, PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, coco-glucoside, glyceryl

oleate, aleurites moluccana seed oil, zinc PCA, panthenol, rheum palmatum extract, carthamus

tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, propylene glycol,

edetate disodium

cougie23 Explorer

Hi everybody...

I'm quite new to this, but it bothers me that everyone seems concerned with ingestion only...when talking shampoo, but if everything I've read so far talks about wheat contamination and so on...what about absorbsion?

can't it be absorbed into your skin? why isn't anyone conserned about that!? We just bought this lovely bottle of Nexxus at Cosco...My family loved it. Everyone liked the way thier hair felt...except me!I was ok at first... then my hair just went limp and raggy,dirty looking within an hour(sorta wilted). I wasn't feeling that great either...then my 12 yr old pointed out that it had (Wheat) in the ingreadiance(I hadn't thought to look..being new at this, but he did...great kid!!!)

Also in the past I have mysterous tender sopots in my scalp(like bad sun burn without the sun burn!) I'm wondering if its ben shampoo related all along (and no...I ussreally don't get shampoo in my mouth) but notice my arms and back itch alot after shampooing!

Thats what I have to say about that!

So what does anybody hear about panteane??? I know the ingreadiants have changed over the years...several times...but I just bought some and couldn't find wheat on there any where..is it under a differant name? someone mentioned on a past blog that it had gluten( I read this after googling the question this morning and this cite popped up!)

This cite has been heaven sent by the way...thats why I desided to join!!!

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR EXPERIANCES AND ADVICE!!!

COUGIE23

cougie23 Explorer

Oh come on people.... Noone has anything to say about absorbtion vs. ingestion when it comes to hair/skin products???I can't be the only one who's thought or cared about this....opinion...anyone???? I know your out there...302 veiws and no one has an opinion....come on newbes...your totaly anonomus...no one can see your face ...its only a question...share your experiances...we know its just your side of things...everything should be taken with a grain of salt in a forum anyway(not literly)...I've noticed on the member list there's alot of people who look but never post...don't be afraid...half the healing is sharing with fellow sufferers...it will make this stupid diesese alittle more bearable!!!!! beleive me for those of you who don't like to call this a diesese, IT IS!!! maybe your just lucky to have mild symptoms....there are some people here who have it REAL BAD!!! :angry: !!!!!!!!and would beg to differ!You've read their threads...don't be a wimp about this and face it for what it is....and be gratfull if you just have a tummyahce and itchy skin!!! it could be a lot worse!!!! I'm not speaking to those who responded to this thread...but to those who haven't responded to any thing or have made light on other threads!

Have fun...share...get informed...be greatful we have a site like this...and SHARE!!!! every opinion counts!!! yours too!!!! :D

Katrala Contributor

Oh come on people.... Noone has anything to say about absorbtion vs. ingestion when it comes to hair/skin products???I can't be the only one who's thought or cared about this....opinion...anyone???? I know your out there...302 veiws and no one has an opinion....come on newbes...your totaly anonomus...no one can see your face ...its only a question...share your experiances...we know its just your side of things...everything should be taken with a grain of salt in a forum anyway(not literly)...I've noticed on the member list there's alot of people who look but never post...don't be afraid...half the healing is sharing with fellow sufferers...it will make this stupid diesese alittle more bearable!!!!! beleive me for those of you who don't like to call this a diesese, IT IS!!! maybe your just lucky to have mild symptoms....there are some people here who have it REAL BAD!!! :angry: !!!!!!!!and would beg to differ!You've read their threads...don't be a wimp about this and face it for what it is....and be gratfull if you just have a tummyahce and itchy skin!!! it could be a lot worse!!!! I'm not speaking to those who responded to this thread...but to those who haven't responded to any thing or have made light on other threads!

Have fun...share...get informed...be greatful we have a site like this...and SHARE!!!! every opinion counts!!! yours too!!!! :D

(I'm speaking purely for celiac here - not for anyone who has any other types of issues with gluten)

For celiac the damage comes when gluten enters the small intestine.

You picking up a handful of wheat gluten isn't going to hurt you unless you ingest it.

I doubt a shampoo makes your hair directly fall out. I'd say it's either a different issue or the malabsorption of nutrients is what is causing the hair loss. I had big issues with it before diagnosis and it's just now getting better.

I think it was the Australian research with vaccines that does it by injecting gluten, yes?

Once again - I'm not referring to anything regarding a wheat allergy or some other type of gluten sensitivity. I haven't done my homework on what reactions can or may be caused by direct contact, etc.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, my dog's shampoo had wheat germ oil in it and it made my hands hurt like I'd been pruning Acacia trees (made them swell, sore, achey muscles).

My facial moisturizers have "gluten sensitive" wheat in them, meaning gluten has been separated and removed and I dont have an obvious problem with it but I will not buy more.

Some people have issues with gluten cosmetics, body care. Others don't. I wouldn't use gluten toothpaste...in a bit pickier since I have DH.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For celiac the damage comes when gluten enters the small intestine.

The antibody reaction actually starts the moment gluten contacts a mucous membrane. There are some countries that test for celiac using a gluten suppository or a swab that is placed either in the mouth or rectum and then the tissue is biopsied 2 to 4 hours later. IMHO that is a much more humane way of diagnosing us than the 3 month gluten challenge that is commonly done here.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I doubt a shampoo makes your hair directly fall out. I'd say it's either a different issue or the malabsorption of nutrients is what is causing the hair loss. I had big issues with it before diagnosis and it's just now getting better.

Malabsorption of nutrients can play a big part especially in the newly diagnosed. Hair loss (alopecia) can also be part of the autoimmune action from celiac in some people. I lose hair when glutened or when I have injested soy and I have been healed and absorbing nutrients for years now. People can also lose hair because of stressors, either an illness or emotional stress. Could that be a reaction in some people from gluten ingredients in shampoos? Perhaps. There are many reasons for hair loss and sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing it.

cougie23 Explorer

Thankyou Kytrala and prickly pear!

If its one thing I've learned from this site...it's there are many differant ways to be Gluten sensitive and many seperate/but relatied problems attached to the original problem...and everyone is unique in thier reaction, but still we are conected with a common problem( i.e. Gluten) :D thankyou for responding!! I personaly am losing my hair...It juat keeps getting thiner and more fragile...it contantly breaks off and grows slowly...(got a perm in '86 and it never did recover!)I get sunburn like soresopts,(but no dandruff) and I get it nice and fluffy and clean and pretty ...only for it to go limp and oily within 3 hours!!!very fustrating!!! :angry:

But that was before I found out that I was Celiac/ casien sensitive. I suspected I was Lactose intolerant and cut back...but had no Idea about casien ,let alone wheat sensitivity...I pretty much kept alot to myself..unless it became to obvious (some times you just can't hide it! we thought I had MS for the longest time(the results were borderline). its nice to know the truth finally and be able to at least have something I can work with..instead of people just acting like its just all in my head!!! or I'm making stuff up to get out of doing things REALLY!!! I can think of better ways to get out of things than making this sort of stuff up...it is miserable enogh to go through ( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<

so thankyou...all opinions welcome :D

cougie23 Explorer

Thankyou Kytrala and prickly pear!

If its one thing I've learned from this site...it's there are many differant ways to be Gluten sensitive and many seperate/but relatied problems attached to the original problem...and everyone is unique in thier reaction, but still we are conected with a common problem( i.e. Gluten) :D thankyou for responding!! I personaly am losing my hair...It juat keeps getting thiner and more fragile...it contantly breaks off and grows slowly...(got a perm in '86 and it never did recover!)I get sunburn like soresopts,(but no dandruff) and I get it nice and fluffy and clean and pretty ...only for it to go limp and oily within 3 hours!!!very fustrating!!! :angry:

But that was before I found out that I was Celiac/ casien sensitive. I suspected I was Lactose intolerant and cut back...but had no Idea about casien ,let alone wheat sensitivity...I pretty much kept alot to myself..unless it became to obvious (some times you just can't hide it! we thought I had MS for the longest time(the results were borderline). its nice to know the truth finally and be able to at least have something I can work with..instead of people just acting like its just all in my head!!! or I'm making stuff up to get out of doing things REALLY!!! I can think of better ways to get out of things than making this sort of stuff up...it is miserable enogh to go through ( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<

And yes I definatly have a severe malnutrition problem as well as having diffuclty absorbing food(not to mention an obvious spelling problem..LOL)! My problem for years is that my body thinks its starving and tends to pack on the weight...I have been able to lose weight (I'm not that heavey...but rather rubenesq)but I need to lose some...and I was never hungry...and had not desire to eat even when I was because my stomache was allways sad and lathargic feeling...after eating (alot or alittle) I'd get bloated (like I was 7 months pregnant) orI'd feel like throwing up(which I did a lot!!!)

The worst...Which is what I'm still having problems with is the feeling like my entire intestoinal tract includind my stomace is covered in bee stingers and open sores!!!ouch!!Damm gluten/casien :angry:<_< But now I know whats doing this I can work on it! :D But MAN that stuffs in EVERYTHING!!!! :blink:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<

Your not alone in that. I was thought to have MS also and had the same issues you did plus aphasia and extreme difficulty walking because of the ataxia. Doctors actually told me the brain lesions they found on the MRI were meaningless and I wanted to be sick! Here have a prozac!

It can take some time to recover when the brain is impacted but it can recover.

I don't know how long ago you were diagnosed but hang in there as it does get better.

PS I adore your avatar but wouldn't want to meet him on a country road.

cougie23 Explorer

Your not alone in that. I was thought to have MS also and had the same issues you did plus aphasia and extreme difficulty walking because of the ataxia. Doctors actually told me the brain lesions they found on the MRI were meaningless and I wanted to be sick! Here have a prozac!

It can take some time to recover when the brain is impacted but it can recover.

I don't know how long ago you were diagnosed but hang in there as it does get better.

PS I adore your avatar but wouldn't want to meet him on a country road.

Thanks ravenwood!

I was diagnosed a month ago if even that. I am still very glutened and compleatly react very violently to any thing dairy at this point...poeple just don't understand why I've eaten these things all my life and haven't had any problems! I tell them..but I have had problems!! I just never put all the symptoms in one basket...and certainly didn't know they were gluten/casien related!

I explain it this way....you eat sugar all your life,never knowing that you are prone to Diebetes...but one day you hit a sateration point and your body just can't handle it anymore....then all the problems you had before and didn't realized was caused by being diabetic make sense...you just didn't know what it was! thats what celiacs is like!!!only with gluten!Right now I can't eat much...my stomache has just had enogh!!! and if I eat anything to harsh..or with hidden gluten/dairy...my stomache and intestines feel like bee stingers and open sores allthe way to the very end...if you know what i mean! ;)

And yeah... they call me cougar or cougie (my husband came up with that) :D

cougie23 Explorer

Ataxia...I'll have to look that up...I might have that problem...severe pain in extremities? touble using said extemities?Do you get numbness or compleate loss of feeling in verious parts? or twiches like hicups (I get them in my foot, top of my knee,top/bottom eyelid,forearm ect.!? I was on cruches at one point and other times had to stop painting because my hands were so bad!

Thanks ravenwood!

I was diagnosed a month ago if even that. I am still very glutened and compleatly react very violently to any thing dairy at this point...poeple just don't understand why I've eaten these things all my life and haven't had any problems! I tell them..but I have had problems!! I just never put all the symptoms in one basket...and certainly didn't know they were gluten/casien related!

I explain it this way....you eat sugar all your life,never knowing that you are prone to Diebetes...but one day you hit a sateration point and your body just can't handle it anymore....then all the problems you had before and didn't realized was caused by being diabetic make sense...you just didn't know what it was! thats what celiacs is like!!!only with gluten!Right now I can't eat much...my stomache has just had enogh!!! and if I eat anything to harsh..or with hidden gluten/dairy...my stomache and intestines feel like bee stingers and open sores allthe way to the very end...if you know what i mean! ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks ravenwood!

Go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Rice, veggies (well cooked) fresh meats and chicken etc. If you like sweet potatos they are a good source of vitamins and both soluable and insoluable fiber. In oriental medicine they are used to treat both D and C. Get a new dedicated toaster, replace any scratched nonstick cookware, strainers and wooden cutting boards and spoons. If your husband still eats gluten make sure he brushes his teeth really well before you kiss. If you can make your home gluten free, including pet foods that is a good idea but if you can't make sure that you isolate gluten foods. Make sure you don't let anyone bake with flour in your house as breathing it in will gluten you and it hangs in the air for up to 2 days.

It can take time for the antibodies to die down so don't despair if it seems to take some time to heal. It is a good idea to avoid gluten ingredients in toiletries and also since you have neuro symptoms wait to try distilled gluten grains in alcohol until you are well healed. Most can tolerate them but there are some of us that can't and it seems like those of us with neuro issues are more prone to not tolerate. Do wait to try any certified oats as those can also be a problem for some of us.

You may be a bit moodier than usual for a while because of the withdrawl that some of us go through.

Celiac usually requires a trigger and illnesses or stress can be a trigger and can make symptoms worse. For women childbirth can be that trigger. While we are born with the genetic tendency to develop celiac it isn't always present from birth and many of us don't become celiac until later in life.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ataxia is a feeling of being off balance. I likened it to walking on a ship in a rough sea and I tended to fall to the right. Pins and needles, numbness and sometimes pain in the hands and feet is often paresthesias. If you are not already taking it get some gluten free sublingual B12 as that can help the nerves heal more quickly.

cougie23 Explorer

[quote name='ravenwoodglass' timestamp='1315862921' post='729742

Celiac usually requires a trigger and illnesses or stress can be a trigger and can make symptoms worse. For women childbirth can be that trigger. While we are born with the genetic tendency to develop celiac it isn't always present from birth and many of us don't become celiac until later in life.

Archived