This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Use Plates At Other People's Houses?

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

So, I know that the protocol is wash your own dishes with separate cloths (or throw them in the dishwasher). But if you are over at your friend's house and they give you something that is definitely safe (fresh fruit, gluten free chips out of an unopened bag, prepackaged gluten free food, etc.) or you bring over your own food, will you eat off of their dishes? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

What do you do at a restaurant?

If they don't have a dishwasher then I would consider hand washing it but if they have one I would carry on as normal.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

That makes sense and is a good rule of thumb to follow. :)

The reason why I asked this is that a friend babysat my kids for me tonight and when I picked them up, she offered me a snack. (gluten free chips from a sealed bag, a whole avocado, salsa, and  grape juice) She doesn't have a dishwasher. I accepted them and used her plate but then wondered if that was a glutening risk. 

nvsmom Community Regular

I would say it is fine as long as the dishes and utensils are clean.

LauraTX Rising Star

If it doesn't feel clean, wash the plate again by hand first.  Usually, though, people are going to clean plates well enough to be okay.  Of course, not everyone has the same standards of hygiene... so always do a stealth inspection first, lol.  

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that I've ever been glutened in this fashion, but I started wondering about it. I don't want to be fanatical, but I do want to be careful.

I had a situation in the past where I rewashed dishes because of seeing visible crumbs sitting on them. I guess that common sense is the best guide.

julissa Explorer

I really at heart don't want to be fanatical, but I don't. If I am bringing my own food, which I do wherever I go, I put a paper plate in with my meal. plastic silverware too. I know it can seem extreme, but it puts me at ease. and I feel if I am at ease, over stressing about unknown factors, then it's all good. no one anywhere has ever said a word. 

if I am at someone's house and there was something that seemed completely safe, i probably would use a napkin over a plate. but that's just me. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beth01 Enthusiast

I'm all for the paper plates, I have them and silverware in my car. I'm paranoid about food though, I'm sick of being sick.

julissa Explorer

Beth, thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone. I have basically developed a fear of food. I really wish I didn't, but I did. for me to be as sick as I get with a glutening or any the other intolerances I have just scares me too much. I too am sick of being sick, at least now after so many years of being sick  I know how not to let that happen. 

kareng Grand Master

When I first went gluten free, I would worry about stuff like that.  Over time, I have realized that most people and restaurants wash things well or its obvious.  :o  I would be more worried about the food they are serving than the plates.

psawyer Proficient

When I first went gluten free, I would worry about stuff like that.  Over time, I have realized that most people and restaurants wash things well or its obvious.  :o  I would be more worried about the food they are serving than the plates.

What Karen said.
RMJ Mentor

Not everyone washes dishes well. if my husband washed the plate, you should rewash before using!

cap6 Enthusiast

Agree with Kareng.  I don't worry about plates and/or silverware at all.  I just worry about the food!  

LauraTX Rising Star

Not everyone washes dishes well. if my husband washed the plate, you should rewash before using!

LOL

bartfull Rising Star

When we were kids we used to tell company that the dogs washed the dishes. Mom would be so mad and embarrassed. :lol:

notme Experienced

i do eat off plates at other people's houses (and other places) - i wouldn't in the beginning.  i was too paranoid.  now, it is a leap of faith :)  so far, so good!   as long as i bring my own food, i'm ok.  if i need to get a paper plate from a buffet or potluck, i get it from the middle. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I totally pull the paper plate from the middle too! 

w8in4dave Community Regular

I eat off of plates at others houses but really recently been going to partys and it's all paper plates any way, I try to be the first one to get to my dish and then let everyone else dig in. I never do seconds, unless at my daughters house who is gluten-free. 

Archived