17 replies to this topic

#16 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia...and was told I wouldn't get any better. Just to learn to live with it. Many long years until I found this place. 6 months into being gluten free and I no longer had any symptoms of Fibromyalgia...at all...But give me some trace gluten or CC and Wham...I'm back on the couch and unable to move without pain, painful muscles and joints and migraines. I have no tricks to make it easier to endure the attacks, just time and water and rest. Without gluten...everything works fine now...muscles returned to normal functioning finally. I am constantly amazed by that.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

I've noticed that fibro symptoms seem to be popping up for me now that I'm gluten free. Take this weekend for example. I live in Michigan, so the weather is basically bi-polar. We went from cold and snowing, to 60 degrees and sunny, so 45 degrees and it sounding like a hurricane blowing outside for an entire day, all within a 3 day span. My body is aching like crazy, and I just feel drained. I was coming off of being glutened, as had just started feeling better again. All my gluten symptoms are gone, but the achy body and drained feeling is persisting. It never used to be that way for me til I went gluten free.

I guess in a way, going gluten free screwed me in that sense, but I feel so much better overall, I'll take a few ran down and blah days, over a glutening ANY DAY.

#18 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I, too, have fibro, and had great hopes for a complete 'cure' when I went gluten free several years ago. Eliminating gluten helped bring the fibro to more manageable levels, but it's not gone. :( I wish it was. So much I wish it was!!

I have thought about eliminating other foods, but haven't gotten the courage, or maybe haven't been desperate enough yet. I live with constant pain, as do many of you, so I can't remember what it's like to be pain free.

Weather changes, barometric pressure changes, changes in my routine, lack of sleep, extra stress, all of that can trigger the fibro, and often does.

Someone posted about nightshades and hand/wrist pain. I might try eliminating the nightshades, if it will bring back function to my hands and decrease the pain in them, which is beginning to affect my daily life and work. I've been eating a lot of tomatoes lately. Hmmmm.....

I am self diagnosed gluten intolerant, and lately have been questioning that, since the fibro is still with me. It's good to know gluten free didn't cure others, either. (Not good that it didn't cure, just that I'm not alone in this! :rolleyes: )

I'm not about to start eating gluten again. It DOES make a difference. If I get glutened, the joint and muscle pain returns in a quite evil manner, accompanied by fatigue and some GI additions.

Thank you all for being here and listening and sharing. All that really helps. A lot.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: