Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Want To Tell Your Friends And Family About Living Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#1 LisaDances

LisaDances

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hi all,

Some of the students on the campus I work at have started a wonderful "Gluten-Free campus" awareness group. They are having a fair in a couple weeks to increase campus awareness. I thought it would be useful to have a small flyer available to pass out on "How can I help my Gluten-Free Friend" with some do's and don'ts we gluten-free people wish our families and friends knew.

For example:

Don't: Offer us "just one bite" of that really yummy treat or tell us "you can cheat this time". Sorry, we really can't.

Do: Continue to invite us to do things: we still want to hang even if we can't have a beer with you.

Don't: offer us home baked goodies--- even if the treat was cooked without gluten, if it was made in a kitchen that has flour in it, it isn't safe for us.

Please suggest some other things that we could put on this flyer. What do you want to tell your friends and family??

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Do look for Gluten-Free treats for your Gluten-Free friend. Keep one or two things stocked at your place for them.

Plan on dining somewhere that has a Gluten-Free menu if you eat out so your friend does not feel out of place.

Do not ask so many questions that the person is the center of attention, unless they feel comfortable.

If you can read Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book The Gluten-Free Diet she has an entire chapter about entertaining and how to make a person feel comfortable.

#3 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

A gluten free diet isn't a fad or a weight loss tool - it's a necessary medical treatment.

Lots of people think it's just a celebrity diet plan, because that's the only time they hear about it in the media.

#4 LisaDances

LisaDances

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks JoolsJewels and Kitty, these are great suggestions. Any more out there?

If I get this together in time for our Gluten-Free carnival next week I'll post it here.

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

My close friends all know the drill and are wonderful, but people I only see on an occasional basis are so persistent in trying to feed me. I would say to people, "Stop trying to feed me! The world will not end if I bring my own dinner!!"
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Even though it is called a disease, we are not sick (once we have recovered from gluten damage). We will only be sick if we eat gluten.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Do not feel sorry for us - we can control a serious medical condition by eating healthy foods - no medication, no surgery. We are fortunate :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

Celiac is not an allergy, it is an autoimmune disease.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#9 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

No, I don't do photosynthesis. I eat while I am at home.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

It's not the end of the world to be gluten free. There is still lots of food we can eat. If you have symptoms get yourself tested!
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

1 of 133 people in the US have celiac, and over 90% don't know it. About 30% of the population has at least one of the genes for celiac disease, and could develop the active disease at any time in their life. You probably know several people with celiac disease who aren't aware they have it.. Diagnosis in the USA takes on average about 9 years. If you know someone with IBS, thyroid disease, arthritis or any other autoimmune condition, suggest they get tested for celiac disease too. You may save their life!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

This sounds great Lisa. If you do make a flyer could you please provide us with a digital copy somehow?
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#13 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

That I cannot "reverse" my gluten intolerance by eating small amounts of it, gradually increasing the amounts. So glad it worked for you (I personally suspect your gut has healed for now and you will be hit hard again in a matter of time), but as for me and my child...um: NO.

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

No, worrying about cross-contamination is NOT "going overboard".

Seriously, if you touch my food after eating a sandwich, I WILL get sick. If I just pick the croutons off of my salad, I WILL get sick. If I just eat the pie filling and don't eat the crust, I WILL get sick. If my boyfriend kisses me without brushing his teeth after eating pizza, I WILL get sick.

So if you call trying NOT to get sick "going overboard", I suggest you think again.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#15 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Please don't tell us that that you wouldn't be able to handle our situation because you "would just DIE without breads and cakes" - we get it, you like bread....personally, I'd prefer to go an hour without running to the bathroom... :)

(I heard that one THREE times this week!)

But more importantly, get yourself tested!! I had no idea I had it, so you may not either!!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: