21 replies to this topic

#16 Chiana

Chiana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

For several months after I started the diet, certain things got much, much worse, mostly in the hormonal department.  But about 6 months in, I started to feel better...so much better that I realized that even what I thought of as 'normal' before or 'healthy' before paled in comparison.  If you had anemia, you were not 'fine' before, and you need to remember that.  If they hadn't caught it that early, terrible things would have started to happen to you -- the things that we have all experienced here.  This includes cancer.  You should consider how lucky you are.  I wish that they had tested me when I was young and saved me years of slow decline. 

We're here for you.  Remember: Nothing is a loss.  It's a trade.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KristenS

KristenS

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I had iron infusions today, and waited several hours after to try to see my GI doc who was on rounds. Unfortunately I was turned away and the earliest booking for an appointment with her is in over a month. The attending in the GI ward told me to stick to my diet exactly as it is untill I see my doc, but the thing theyre the most worried about is the swelling in my hands, which apparently they will bring up with my doc asap. I'm exhausted from my infusions and am going to go crawl into bed and stay there as long as I possibly can.

29 years old

Diagnosis: Severe Malnutrition due to Celiac - November 2012 via biopsy.
Severely iron deficient for 3+ years before diagnosis. No GI Symptoms. Two negative blood tests before biopsy.
Iron & Nutrient infusions schedule for Feb & March 2013

#18 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

"Since you've substituted all your bread with cornbread, corn would be high on my list of things to stop. Bartfull says he reacts worse to corn than gluten. But aside from that you may also want to quit dairy."

SHE, Cavernio, I'm a SHE. :lol:  I really should change my screen name to "Bart's Mom" or something. Bart was my dog. When he misbehaved I used to call him Bartless as in "Bart the hopeless". When he was a good boy, I would call him Bartful as in "Bart the wonderful". And when I signed up here my brainfog not only led me to use a confusing screen name, but I even spelled it wrong!

Anyway, I know not everyone has trouble with corn, but a lot of us do, and it was by substituting regular bread with cornbread that I lost my "honeymoon period". I went from feeling better than I'd ever felt in my life to feeling crummy again and developing a host of other intolerances. I STILL haven't gotten back to feeling as good as I did those first few weeks, but I'm a lot better now than I was a few months in. As a matter of fact, I'm considering going back to nothing but meat and cheese and broccoli and cauliflower for a while to see if I can get my energy back.

Either that or I need to save some money to get tested for thydroid. <_< 

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#19 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Sorry bartfull, I too get called a he when I'm a she. Cavernio's just Veronica and was a dumb name from school days that no one actually called me. Comes from having your name on things where letters can be rearranged. But I like it because it's pretty unique, no adding random numbers for me.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#20 LisaRae28

LisaRae28

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I know this is an old post (actually from around the time I was diagnosed) but I was hoping if ya got the chance ya could update on what happened with all that? I felt like I was reading something I would have written just a few weeks ago when i might have been accidentally gluttened and I'm still having all sorts of weird stuff that seems to happen when my iron drops low even though I haven't become anemic again due to ongoing infusions... Since you're a couple months ahead of me I figured I'd see if there's been any glimmers of light at the end of that tunnel tho?

#21 Tbolt47

Tbolt47

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

I quite frankly don't even know why antidepressants are still prescribed for people who are clearly depressed with no other symptoms or issues seeing as how ineffective studies show them to be, much less someone where there's an obvious starting point of the symptoms.

The vast majority of published ( scientific ) studies show antidepressants alone are effective in relieving the symptoms of depression vs. doing nothing. When combined with " talk therapy ", they are tremendously effective. Of the top 10 most prescribed medications, I believe # 1 is an antidepressant and several others make the list. If they were not effective ,I doubt seriously they would continued to be prescribed. Nor would the pharmaceutical companies devote the vast resources for the continued  R & D, relating to manipulation of neurotransmitters.

Conversely, you would be hard pressed to find any published scientific litature claiming probiotics and digestive enzymes are beneficial in treating Celiac. The medical profession discourages the use of digestive enzymes and does not encourage the use of probiotics in celiac treatment. They both may be beneficial, however there is very little, if any science to support this conclusion. I

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian "  - Henry Ford

"What I can give, is never as much as I get from the giving "  -Author Unknown

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

I know when I have been glutened it is worse than it was b4 I was DX'd so if you had NO symptoms. Your body is really rejecting it. Not saying thats your problem just saying it could be. 

I am wondering, if you had no symptoms before how they Dx'd you with Celiac? Just wondering. Hope you are on the road to recovery :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: