arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free For The Entire Famly? When Members Can't/don't Want To Be Gluten-Free

childrengluten free husband family diet home celiac

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 RainKitty

RainKitty

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Has your daughter been tested. Celiac runs in families.

No. Our pediatrician told us not to test without symptoms. I am aware that there is controversy about this, and want to get her tested, but I'm not even sure they would without symptoms. I was diagnosed after years of all sorts of symptoms, including IBS that didn't get better, but was overweight, so was told that I couldn't have Celiac. I did, though, for many years. At the time I was tested, I had had symptoms for about 15 years, back to when I was pregnant with one of my older children. I was finally tested after surgery for my gall bladder. The surgeon told me that she only ever saw gall bladders like mine in people with "sprue" and sent me for tests. I am not sure to this day what she saw, but she was 10% right. I tested positive. For a long time after I stopped eating gluten, milk bothered me, too, but I seem to be mostly okay with milk now in small doses.

My sister has Lupus and our mother had arthritis, and my dad had a skin condition that looked a lot like mild psoriasis - all of which are inflammatory/auto-immune diseases. The more I think about it, the more I want to get the kids tested.

If it were me, I'd do as some of the others suggested and let her eat gluten as long as she is careful and makes her sandwiches in a different area AND learns to clean up after herself. Dedicated peanut butter and other condiments are a must.

I've decided to go with the duct tape idea (above) and will be teaching her better kitchen technique. I don't want to force her to eat gluten-free, but we have to do something.

I say all this because even if she has been tested and the tests were negative, she should be tested every (I think they say) couple of years. If she is off gluten she will never be able to get an accurate test and that would interfere with that 504 (?) plan for school. You might have a hard time getting the school, summer camps, etc. to take it seriously.

She has her annual pediatrician visit in early November, so I think I will ask then. She is our baby, and our older children are in college/graduated college. I will be asking the, to test, too.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: