This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Intolerances That Cause Diarrhea Other Than Gluten

catarific

catarific Contributor

What other intolerances do you find you have when you have a sensitive intestinal track?

I find now that I have trouble with almonds, sometimes chocolate (even if it is gluten free), carrots, potatoes of all kinds, and fructose and high fructose.

Are these sensitivites somehow related - when you find you now have one - that others follow? What sources of food intake bothers you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I get diarrhea from soy--even soy oil. Tapioca and legumes cause severe nausea and stomach pain.

HardcoreDior Newbie

Tapioca for me.

I've also heard that corn products are a big one as well.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Both dairy and soy for me, uuuhhhhhh! ;)

Staceyshoe Apprentice

Have you gone through allergy testing? My ds gets diarrhea if he accidentally ingests one of the foods that he has an IgE allergy for. Diarrhea for him is most common after wheat or soy.

mushroom Proficient

Corn is just like gluten for me.

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran

What other intolerances do you find you have when you have a sensitive intestinal track?

I find now that I have trouble with almonds, sometimes chocolate (even if it is gluten free), carrots, potatoes of all kinds, and fructose and high fructose.

Are these sensitivites somehow related - when you find you now have one - that others follow? What sources of food intake bothers you?

Most chocolate has soy in it, so you might be reacting to that. I have trouble with carrots and nightshades (potato, tomato, peppers) among others. Tree nuts I am not decided about but have had a few experiences recently that make me wonder about them, especially walnuts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Allergy testing might be helpful. Choose an allergist who is more knowledgeable about food allergies, some standard allergists can be dismissive.

I found that with the 20 some food allergies that I tested positive to, a large percentage of them caused me GI problems when I tried re-introducing them after eliminating them for a period of time.

shopgirl Contributor

Can't any kind of food intolerance theoretically cause diarrhea? There aren't really any set symptoms for an intolerance. Just look how variable Celiac symptoms can be. Some get D, some get C, and some get neither.

I met someone earlier this year who couldn't eat anything that had red food coloring in it. It can be frustratingly random when you're trying to pinpoint the root of your problems.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'm starting to realize that I can't have Teff Flour without it making me have some delightful bathroom experiences. :blink:

It's not a gluten pain like I get in my stomach but it is an immediate "go not pass go, do not collect $200" emergency. :ph34r:

missy'smom Collaborator

Can't any kind of food intolerance theoretically cause diarrhea? There aren't really any set symptoms for an intolerance. Just look how variable Celiac symptoms can be. Some get D, some get C, and some get neither.

True IMHO.

Some people get hives with the allergies we have, but my son and I seem hard wired for nasal symptoms and GI symptoms for me and eczema for him. Multiple triggers for each kind of symptom for us.

Juliebove Rising Star

Eggs are super bad for me.

• 1 month later...
Newtoitall Enthusiast

Fructose Malabsorbtion

Soy Intolerance

Celiac Disease

oh and don't forget lactose intolerance

that's all I believe I have atm -.-

fml.

• 2 weeks later...
IrishHeart Veteran

soy just kills me....

cahill Collaborator

gluten cause diarrhea for me,,, soy causes severe constipation

When I ingest something that I have an intolerance to about 80% of my reaction is neurological and 20% digestive issues

cahill Collaborator

I am doing an elimination diet and I just reintroduced eggs,,,,,WOW all I can say is WOW :blink:

BeautifulDay Apprentice

Besides gluten for me: soy, dairy, legumes (any peas or beans), peanuts and tree nuts, tomato, citrus, and too much fat (anything more than a spray of plain olive oil). My symptoms for gluten are mostly physical, but symptoms when I eat soy or legumes often involve neurological issues.

I agree that it gets "frustratingly random" to figure out; at one point I was eating only potatoes while trying to figure things out. I just see my body and its intolerances as a constantly changing process. It's frustrating, but that also provides hope and a chance for healing. I do my best to listen to my body and then cut out offending culprits. Celiacs and other intolerances are chronic health issues, so it becomes a daily battle. I try to take things day by day, and if I can get through the day that's all I can ask!

And enjoy life chocolate - the best "safe" chocolate out there! I also have dark chocolate pieces that I get from a small, local chocolate shop - they can guarantee no dairy or soy are involved in the process of making them. Maybe there's a shop like this in your area that could help you out for some good, real chocolate?

• 6 years later...
Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

Fructose and High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Anything too sweet with it gives me the runs real bad!

Archived