26 replies to this topic

#1 BethM55

BethM55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

At at party at a friend's house last night, among people I don't know well, the subject of eating gluten free came up. I don't know why, might have been my explanation of why I really couldn't eat much of the available snacks and why was I asking about ingredients? Innocent enough, right? No one gave me a hard time, but a couple of people proclaimed their gluten free status as well. Ok, a bit of camaraderie, no problem.

But it ticks me off when these same people snacked on pot stickers, and taquitos, and brownies, and drinking beer... One woman said to me, "Oh, I avoid wheat, but can't resist these!" Good for her, for trying to improve her health, but she shouldn't call herself gluten free! Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy with the fresh berries and the Lays potato chips (which said gluten free on the package!), although I was a bit worried about gluteny hands dipping into the berry bowl.

I don't expect answers here, but why do people do that? It just makes it harder for those of us who truly are gluten free, and work hard at being so, and who pay the consequences of failure. I don't mind talking about being gluten intolerant, figure it educates people, but I don't like having the issue diluted by people who think it's a fun thing to do.

Sorry for the rant, but the experience irritated me. I try to avoid being labeled as the odd one of the group, generally just quietly manage my needs as best I can. But if gluten free is going to be spotlighted by others, then they ought to honor the code. At least IMHO, anyway.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

I TOTALLY understand, it makes me so mad! Or, my favorite is "Oh, there's no wheat in there so I can eat it" by the people who are supposed to be gluten-free..and then they totally just eat it.

CELIAC IS WHEAT, BARLEY and RYE. Idiots. Then people look at ME like *I'M* being overly picky and snarky about my food because the fake gluten-free eater is like "Oh a little bit won't hurt me!"

Excuse me, but I am 6 months pregnant and DO NOT need a reaction right now. THATS why I am so careful!!!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#3 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

It does make things difficult. I was in a two week class with someone who also had celiac and was supposed to be gluten-free. But she ate the sausage biscuits someone brought one morning, the pasta that someone brought for lunch one afternoon, etc, because she just couldn't resist.

She was also telling ANY and EVERYONE who would listen that she had celiac and how sick she had been, blah blah blah. Then she told me she couldn't believe that I was so strong to not eat the stuff around us. I told her I couldn't afford to be sick, so there was no bite that was worth it to me. I really didn't care what she ate, but it made it hard for me to decline food that someone had obviously spent a lot of time on (someone made a cake), when she told the same story as me but ate just a tiny piece.

I feel your pain! <_<
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#4 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

I was at a potluck with two other "gluten free" people. Both had hot dogs with buns and finished off with birthday cake. :blink:

The only reason people like that bother me is that they cause other people not to take us seriously. Oh well, it doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. Only once a month or so do I even eat food I didn't prepare with my own hands and then I do my best to ensure it's safety. At least the fakey-gluten-free people have caused the gluten free market to expand somewhat.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

My issue is with people who call eating gluten-free a "fad"....fad? :blink: Celiac disease almost killed me :blink:

As I often say...there needs to be a better understanding of what 'gluten intolerant' really means. I always cringe when someone says it's an "allergy"....sigh...

I suppose it's easier than explaining "It's an autoimmune response to the...." by then, their eyes have glazed over like a donut... :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 No.Wheat.For.Me

No.Wheat.For.Me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

....then they ought to honor the code

I'm new here and have a question. You refererd to a code. Can you tell me what the code is?

Thanks!

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'm new here and have a question. You refererd to a code. Can you tell me what the code is?

Thanks!

I think she just means if you say you are gluten-free then demonstrate gluten-free. don't say it while munching on a wheat-filled cookie.

I think we are still working on the secret code and handshake. ;)

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

It means that if people are going to proclaim that they're gluten-free, then they need to be gluten-free. In public, anyway. <_<
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#9 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

My issue is with people who call eating gluten-free a "fad"....fad? :blink: Celiac disease almost killed me :blink:

Like my chiropractor ... or should I say my ex-chiropractor. Last time I was there I commented that I was really sore from accidentally eating some gluten. He went off on this tangent about how his wife has gone on this gluten-free kick so now she only makes their cookies out of barley and spelt and oats .... and this celiac thing is such a fad and next month it'll be something different. Then when I insisted that all those things his wife cooks with have gluten and that celiac is really serious and I can get sick from a few crumbs he called me a freak. :o

Time to shop for a new chiro.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Like my chiropractor ... or should I say my ex-chiropractor. Last time I was there I commented that I was really sore from accidentally eating some gluten. He went off on this tangent about how his wife has gone on this gluten-free kick so now she only makes their cookies out of barley and spelt and oats .... and this celiac thing is such a fad and next month it'll be something different. Then when I insisted that all those things his wife cooks with have gluten and that celiac is really serious and I can get sick from a few crumbs he called me a freak. :o

Time to shop for a new chiro.

I saw a recipe in a magazine where the cook said she was cooking for gluten-free people and she used spelt instead of wheat...um, hullo??? :blink:

he called you a freak?!! :huh: well, he's a (fill in the blank)...... :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

I think we are still working on the secret code and handshake. ;)

gosh, we're STILL working on that handshake??? who's in charge!!?? :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Is a fist bump OK?

#13 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

A fist bump followed by the dusting of imaginary crumbs.

#14 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have a colleague who is also celiac and I've watched her more than once just scrape the toppings off a sandwich. And she's confessed to me that she drinks beer every once and while. And then she'll look to me for sympathy on those days when she's not feeling well because she thinks that as a celiac, I can relate. Um no, I can't. I NEVER cheat, so I really have no sympathy for someone who makes themselves sick!

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

A fist bump followed by the dusting of imaginary crumbs.

I think you may have it! Do we swipe our hands, flat palmed? You know that sort of " Good riddance" sort of thing?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: