18 replies to this topic

#16 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

Meals aren't the done thing over this way either. I would highly recommend a small bar-fridge sized upright freezer, it will come in so handy after you have a baby. I use mine all the time, it's where I keep all the pre-prepared meals and each drawer has different things in it. They are not expensive, and our power bill has remained the same. I bought mine for under $400 when my daughter was about 3 and she's 9 now, no sign of it needing to be replaced any time soon either.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thank you all so much for your feedback! This has given me some great ideas. I don't think we have the money or room for an extra freezer right now, but I'm sure my in-laws, who live nearby, would be willing to share some freezer space! Great idea, I will plan on making some meals for them to store. I have also heard of people preparing food to throw into the crock-pot, and freezing it in a gallon ziplock bag. I think I am going to try a few of those meals as well.

For those questioning the regional food-giving thing, yes, out here in Utah it is twofold - we've got a lot of Mormon neighbors and friends, and that is a common thing. The church also organizes things like this that help out families going through diffulties, and for many people, making an extra plate of whatever they're preparing for their own family's dinner is quite common. It also seemed pretty common when I was growing up in Portland, OR.

I think that for those who do insist on bringing something over, I will have a little list of our favorite fruits/fresh food, gluten-free pre-packaged goods, and favorite restaurants for gift cards.

Thanks again! You are all great! I feel SO much better about this now :D
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#18 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

The ladies at my church always cook for people who have had surgery, death, sickness, baby, just anything- and they offered to cook for our family for two full weeks....I kindly asked them not too.They understood and offered to get us gift cards for the baby instead. I am scared enough about being in the hospital and all. What am I suppose to eat????
Rachel

#19 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

I am scared enough about being in the hospital and all. What am I suppose to eat????

Assuming you know your hospital, I would make an appointment with the dietician and let her know your due date and discuss it with her, and then alert the admitting clerk to contact the dietician when you are admitted. I lucked out when I was hospitalized this summer that the dietician was a celiac :D but you still have to watch out for the kitchen :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009