This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jimmy Kimmel Proves People Who Are Gluten-Free Don't Know What Gluten Is - Omaha World-Herald

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

Omaha World-Herald

It seems you can't throw a rock without hitting someone who's gluten-free. But does the anti-gluten group actually know what gluten is? Late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel decided to find out. Kimmel sent a camera crew to a popular exercise park in Los ...

Open Original Shared Link MSN NZ News

Open Original Shared Link Los Angeles Times

Open Original Shared Link California Examiner

Open Original Shared Link  -Open Original Shared Link  -Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maximoo Enthusiast

Heres the link. I saw it this morning, sad but true....

mbrookes Community Regular

One thing to remember... you don't know how many people were interviewed to get those 4 lame brains. They may have gotten a hundred good answers, but they weren't funny. Mainly, I didn't like his attitude.

kenlove Rising Star

I agree, Came across as a real ass 

One thing to remember... you don't know how many people were interviewed to get those 4 lame brains. They may have gotten a hundred good answers, but they weren't funny. Mainly, I didn't like his attitude.

nvsmom Community Regular

Ugh, I HATE that guy.

He could have done that for any disease. Ask a diabetic what sugar is and they won't delve into biochemistry to discuss it's molecular make up. Or ask someone with heart disease what the plaque build up in their arteries is made of and I bet they couldn't tell you.

The guy is an idiot. I will never watch him. Ever.

mamaw Community Regular

I  think these  shows  just  go out on the  street & hand pick  people  who  can  be  good  actors  (so they  think)  &  see if  they  can be  idiots  on national TV. pay them a few  bucks  , they  then think  they  are  national celebrities.......what  I don't  get  is  why people  would  want to go on national TV  and  make or look like  complete  idiots  without a  functioning  brain.....I guess  I do  know  why>>>>>>  the  almighty  dollar......

When  the  girl was  saying  her friend  was  reading  a book  on gluten fro Russia  & Jimmy  said  , yea  Russians  know  about  gluten, PUTIN, I honestly thought  he  missed  a  great  line! Gluten , Putin, Pukin....

these  shows  which I  never  watch  are  for  the  mindless....

Hey  thanks  for posting  this!!!!!  Ha Ha

I  always think  people  who  say  snide remarks  about  any  illness, handicap  should  be  careful  one  day  it  may just  bite them in the  rear....

Adalaide Mentor

The part where he called us all annoying is about the time I wanted to play a little roshambo with him.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

The part where he called us all annoying is about the time I wanted to play a little roshambo with him.

screw him and his unenlightened attitude about celiac, (yeah, I said it) 

here' s what i also said on my friend, the Gluten Dude's site

I thought the video was more of an attempt to show the gluten-free diet fad as being silly and it did not bother me much. I mean, we do not even know if it was “staged” or not. icon_smile.gif

I found his comment that “some people do it for medical reasons ..and that annoys me too” to be idiotic, but honestly…. I am not often impressed by these “comics” anyway.Humor has evolved into the sole purpose of making fun of people. People get their jollies scoffing others.

WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE EAT ANYWAY?

Why are people so angry with/annoyed by the gluten-free diet?

There are so many issues that people should be enraged about right now: pick any human rights violation and make it your cause

for a tirade, people!

I will be so happy when the gluten-free fad dies down.

I myself am sick of hearing the term “gluten free” sometimes.

And I am especially tired of trying to get people to understand once and for all; gluten doesn’t make you fat. It’s the fast food crap that contains it that makes you fat. We’re a wheat-obsessed nation that lives on pizza, McDs, donuts and bagels.

Celiac Awareness month has been overshadowed by this continual “hating on the gluten-free life” and honestly, I am having a hard time lately with it all. It’s mind-boggling that in the midst of all of it, people go undiagnosed. They stumble around in pain and anguish because this lack of understanding about celiac is still prevalent in the medical community–and society at large.

We have a long, long road still.

I also said

Attention GD peeps!! I think it’s time for a new tee shirt!

HEY, HOW ABOUT YOU G F HATERS JUST KISS MY GLUTEN FREE ASS?!

mamaw Community Regular

Irish,,  when are  you going to be  selling  the  new  T-Shirt  with that  logo?????  love  it...

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish,,  when are  you going to be  selling  the  new  T-Shirt  with that  logo?????  love  it...

wish I knew how to market them. mama...I'd be making a fortune  :lol:

kareng Grand Master

Attention GD peeps!! I think it’s time for a new tee shirt!

HEY, HOW ABOUT YOU gluten-free HATERS JUST KISS MY GLUTEN FREE ASS?!

Can we ask them to brush their teeth first? I know I can't get glutened by them kissing my ass, but I just don't like the idea of gluten on my skin.....

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

ok I know I'm in the minority here, and although I don't watch Jimmy Kimmel regularly, I do like some of his things.  He did a video where the rapper Drake interviewed people about his music all while dressed up in diguise, and it is hilarious!!  I'm also a huge Drake fan, so I think that makes a big difference :)   It's called Fake Drake if you're interested in looking it up on YouTube.

Turn about is fair play.  I'm happy he mentioned that some follow it for medical reasons, but the fact he said it's annoying was a poor choice on his part even if he was just trying to get some laughs.  He may love pizza, but I don't miss the terrible reflux I used to get from pizza with the triple punch of gluten, dairy and tomatoes. 

I actually sent his video out to family and friends and used it as a teaching tool.  I explained this may be why you hear a colleague say they are gluten free and then watch them eat a glutenous donut.  Perhaps it's because they don't know what gluten really is, and that is a disservice to those of us that follow it strictly and would never dare let gluten into our bodies on purpose.  I'm pretty good at gauging whether a person is up for hearing the truth about a gluten-free diet, so I will educate those that will listen, but when it comes to family, they don't have a choice :lol:

On the positive side, this article did come up on ABC news: Open Original Shared Link

My favorite line is: If you think you have celiac disease, do not stop eating gluten before seeing your doctor, Thompsen said. If you stop eating gluten before getting tested for celiac, it could result in a false negative diagnosis.

I appreciated how they actually bolded that line in the article!

Happy weekend, everyone!

mamaw Community Regular

Irish,    we  have  a place here  to make the  shirts.  not  to expensive  for making! We  use t hem  for  our  school  team  sports....

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish,    we  have  a place here  to make the  shirts.  not  to expensive  for making! We  use t hem  for  our  school  team  sports....

I know someone too who could do it, but honestly, I am not interested in being an entrepreneur at my "ahem" advanced age.  :D

There's a joke on GD, every time something irritating comes up, it becomes a "tee shirt" topic. This was just the latest.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

To be fair, he did say that some people need a gluten free diet for medical reasons.  He was making fun of people who eliminate it for fad reasons who don't even know what it is.  These are the same people who make restaurant staff not take us seriously because they order gluten free for their meal and then have a gluten containing dessert.  Those people deserve it.

IrishHeart Veteran

To be fair, he did say that some people need a gluten free diet for medical reasons.  He was making fun of people who eliminate it for fad reasons who don't even know what it is.  

Yes, I got that part. It was when he said 

“some people do it for medical reasons ..and that annoys me too” 

that I found objectionable.

Disrespectful and dismissive of people who actually require a G F diet to stay healthy and alive.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I don't see why people get so annoyed. Would they be annoyed at a diabetic who eats a low sugar diet for medical reasons?

Archived