#1 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

I guess this is a two-part question:

1. Once you figured out gluten was the problem and you'd had some time to look back, did you find yourself remembering symptoms and reactions from long, long ago, and suspect you'd had a gluten issue for far longer than you'd originally thought?

And,

2. Did you notice that perhaps you unconsciously preferred a lower-gluten diet (just weren't that "into" wheat-based carbs), as if your body was trying to protect you with a natural disinterest or aversion?

Just curious. I'm looking back and realizing there were subtle clues...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

1) Yes

2) No, I ate gluten all the time. I never had any obvious symptoms like gut or toilet symptoms. I had a whole lot of random things that seemed to be unconnected with each other. So it never occurred to me that it could be food.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 CrystalF

CrystalF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

1. yes
2. i have always craved meat more.

#4 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

1) yes- 2) no I lived on gluten and dairy, craved it. Now can't have either.

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

1) YES
2) No

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 wayneglutzky

wayneglutzky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

A big yes on the first one and a big no on the second one. I was addicted to wheat bread; I was a big sandwich maker. I'd love making anything into a sandwich, I think one day I even made a relish/peanut butter combo.

I just never knew all of my symptoms were because of the gluten.

#7 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

1. Yes. Earlier this year, we made chicken breast with the new Kraft Fresh Take cheese and bread crumb mixtures, and immediately after I ate it, my stomach was cramping and my head was swimming. I felt tired and sleepy.

2. Yes. I would eat something and then abruptly stop, never having a reason to stop eating it. I guess subconsciously, I already knew. I got to a point where I stopped eating pizza. If I did, it had to be ultra thin crust and that was rare.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Nope... my symptoms (at age 49) were sudden and consisted of unrelenting diarrhea w/ huge belly noises ... no tummy upset or cramping. I had the symptoms for about the 2 months it took me to get in to see a gastroenterologist who did blood work diagnosing celiac. While waiting for the results of the blood work, he treated me for suspected giardia, a water-borne infection that he suspected cause we'd been swimming/boating in the Delaware River all summer.

I always had an "iron" stomach... I could eat anything and everything w/ no problems at all.

When my doc talked about wheat I told him I remembered a short period when I was 5 years old and brought my own snack to school because they didn't want me to eat wheat. What was the reason for that? Not a clue. I don't remember any digestive symptoms. I was happy because I felt special to have to bring my own snack... which was a slice of rye bread w/ butter!! So, if celiac was suspected at that time... I'm guessing the rye bread didn't help much.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

1. Yes. I remember going to the doctor as a young child and being told "she's just one of those people who gets stomach aches after she eats". After a while I learned not to double over when the stomach aches hit and just get on with the day. ...And my mother told me I had issues with C even as an infant; this is back in the day when "solid" foods were introduced when a child was 2 weeks old. :rolleyes: I'm guessing I've had it for close to 40 years. I noticed milk bothered me about 10 years ago and cut back on it.

2. In my 30's I began eating less processed foods in an effort to control my weight. I ate less noodles. I was not a big fan of bread... especially after having braces as a teen. Gluten is really hard to get out of braces! ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

1. Yes. I was always very healthy throughout childhood and into adulthood until just a few years ago. My miscarriages were a mystery to my doctor as well as my husband and I but I would never have linked that to gluten. My stomach was always fine - no GI issues, either.
2. No. After eating gluten I never ever got sick that I can think of. Even on my gluten challenge for three months. I've loved baking my own breads, buns, etc. and making fresh pasta. Though bread was not a necessary accompaniment to meals, I enjoyed it as meals such as lots of kinds of grilled breads with toppings. It did not dawn on me that I had any gluten problems at all. The only reason I know it now is that my sister is gluten intolerant and I got tested. I was SHOCKED.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

1) Yes. My symptoms were so vague and non-specific they would not have pointed directly to a gluten problem. No acute reactions.

2) Not really. I loved bread and floury things, all kinds. Was working on learning to make all kinds of bread at home...artisan sourdoughs especially. I did limit it only because I found my weight easier to manage without it.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#12 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yes, whenever I played susie homemaker and baked bread I would end up feeling like a truck hit me and I would go to bed early and wake with a migraine headache. I felt like I had worked in construction instead of baked bread for my family. I don't know how I didn't figure it out sooner. But I didn't. I have sudden memories from childhood of dizziness and nausea and gripping fear after eating lunch with other kids. They said I was a nervous kid. I was a glutenend kid.

Yes, another episode where I should have figured out it was gluten but didn't.
I did Atkins low carb diet and had a miraculous recovery from all sorts of ailments, headaches, fatigue, diarrhea. I had energy like I had never felt before in my life. I noticed it was strange that I felt way better if I didn't go out to lunch with anyone so I only did it once about every 6 months. I thought I was just "weird" that way. It seemed like social anxiety...but it was gluten. I happily stayed on Atkins for a long time.

Only problem is....I got married again and started playing Susie Homemaker again.. Baking, cooking, and eating with my family.

Then I became depressed, anxious, fat, and lazy. I had headaches and skin sores that wouldn't heal and was told it was "Fibromyalgia" and would not get better. I believed that for 7 years. THen I found c.com.

Now I live again. So yeah, gluten was a problem my whole life...I just didn't connect the gluten particles. Wish I had, but now I know.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yes and Yes.

I threw away many packages of unopened pasta and pretzels.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#14 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

1) Yes, looking back I've had symptoms at least since I was 17, 30 years prior to diagnosis. At 17, I had symptoms of Rhuematoid arthritis, but the docs couldn't figure it out. Finally they said I didn't have it but they were probably on to something. I had "bathroom attacks" 20 minutes after eating where I had to rush to the bathroom 2-3 times a week - I thought it was stress. I thought horrible stomach cramps where I lay on the floor of the bathroom were "normal" because it's all I knew and the doctors just thought I was a complainer. I had canker sores in my mouth 2-3 times a month. Thankfully, all this is gone.

2) I loved loved loved bread and pizza and pasta. I blamed it on my Italian mom and grandmother and the way I was raised, but boy was I addicted. I could have (and often did) eat pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ate French bread and rolls every time I ate out. I cooked pasta 2-3 times a week for dinner.

Sigh.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#15 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

To the second question, no. I had awful nausea all the time and I would eat saltine crackers or starchy foods like toast or something to try to calm my stomach...little did I know it was making things a lot worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: