Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Robbin

Gfp-what Is Going On?

Guest Robbin

Hey, has any of you fellow posters noticed that gfp is so mellow lately? and nice? What is going on? Quite frankly, Steve, I am disappointed in the posts I read, lol. I noticed that you have changed and I cannot in good conscience, think of you as the resident bad boy anymore. Hmmm, it could be many reasons (and yes, I smell a conspiracy somewhere in there). Here are my theories: 1. You are in love. 2. You have found the holy grail of gluten-free bread 3. You have a new puppy 4. You pulled that splinter out 4. You have been listening to not only the great B.B. King, but also Clapton blues OR, DARE I SAY, 5. You have found God

(PLEASE KNOW THIS IS A FUN THREAD PEOPLE, FOR PITY'S SAKE :D )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You know it is funny that you should mention gfp as I was talking about him to Lynne a couple of days ago. I personally think that he has always been a nice person, but that he sometimes posts in an abrupt manner, so that we have to really think, and not take things at face value. I noticed a few times that after he came on real strong and people started to think and reply, he then would tone it down. I think he had achieved his purpose for that particular thread. It took me a couple of threads to notice this. :)

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

maybe he has brain fog from inhaling the smoke for his recent kitchen fire :blink: and then his girlfriend saw the kitchen :o ......... he is too busy googling TSP.. :)

I enjoy reading his posts too..

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Robbin, Maybe gfp is taking his time in trying to figure out for us all whether grain alcohol is all right for coeliac sufferers.

For me, I have the answer, if I stick to wine there are no problems.

But that is not really the answer, as I have still got half a bottle of gin, and the hubby wants to use it as gear box oil! What am I to do? Nobody else will drink it. Any takers, surely it could go to a better home that the gear box!

Cath

I enjoy his posts as well. They get me thinking.

Steve where are you? You must defend your bad boy image... I don't know... this "nice" you is so...so...I think you are sweeping me off my feet.

He's busy cleaning out his kitchen after a little grease fire this morning. He'll be back soon enough.

Nothing

You know, I have often wondered whether he is French or North American living in France. His English is perfect.

I think that I shall ask him. What do ya think Steve?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

You know, I have often wondered whether he is French or North American living in France. His English is perfect.

I think that I shall ask him. What do ya think Steve?

English living in France....

Of course I'm keeping quiet :D I'm just eavesdropping :ph34r:

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

He's actually English living in France with an American girlfriend.

Yea, he's been able to remove his signature reminding us he's nice!! My theory is that he was being nice all along and didn't realize how abrupt he came across at times ... once he was told that it sounded that way, he was probably surprised and spent even more time composing his posts than he did before. Or, maybe it's cause his picture is there now! :)

English living in France....

Of course I'm keeping quiet :D I'm just eavesdropping :ph34r:

Oh, you posted the same time I did! You just love a bunch of women talking about how nice you are, don't you????!!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Now THIS is more like it! :P

Steve, I don't know you that well so I'm not here to comment on your state of mind, but I just wanted to say that this OT post is much more refreshing than recent OT debates/bashing/defending/etc.....

The other posts, I'm not touching. Making good-natured fun of a friend? Now I'm all FOR that! :D

Toni

Casein free since June 2006.

Gluten free since August 2006

Egg and Soy free since October 2006.

Diagnosis of IBS May 2006.

Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia September 2006.

Negative biopsy and blood tests.

EnterLab results:

Gluten intolerance

Egg intolerance

Soy intolerance

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

Mother of three special boys. (and not just because of their dx's)

Married 13 years to a guy who wishes we weren't all so "special!"

I remember Steve from his first "stint" on the board! I always got the feeling that he was a very sensitive, kind person inside.

I was glad to see him back, and I hope he dosen't get a swelled head beacuse he now has a thread dedicated to him! :lol:

Steve, you're a good sport to put up with this B)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Steve, you're a good sport to put up with this B)

He's loving every minute of it. It's almost as much fun as his haircut thread.

gluten-free 12/05

He's loving every minute of it. It's almost as much fun as his haircut thread.

:lol::lol::lol:

Patti

Yep, Steve is a good man, even if I don't always appreciate his point of view! Still, it's possible to agree to disagree and be friends, anyway. We have a lot in common.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:blink: Am I the only person here that never thought he as a "bad" man? Some of his posts in a certin black listed thread sounded angry and hurt, but not like he himself was bad. And realy for the most part his replys while blunt/gruf always sounded to me like he was tyring to help, and trying to comminicate his ideas in a way that would be heard. I might disagree with his views, we certinly come from hugely different envirments, but I do not ever recall thinking he was a "bad person", at least not worse then the average person. :)

- Vincent -

:blink: Am I the only person here that never thought he as a "bad" man? Some of his posts in a certin black listed thread sounded angry and hurt, but not like he himself was bad. And realy for the most part his replys while blunt/gruf always sounded to me like he was tyring to help, and trying to comminicate his ideas in a way that would be heard. I might disagree with his views, we certinly come from hugely different envirments, but I do not ever recall thinking he was a "bad person", at least not worse then the average person. :)

Read my post again, Victor.... :lol:

Patti

I just always thought of it as an English/French thing :D:D:D:D

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

the "bad boy" term was used in the humorous sense- for those that know Steve - it looks like he loves to get teased a bit. None of the posts implied he was bad man...

although his girlfriend may think differently after the "oil fire" comes to light (couldn't resist the pun :lol: )

Say Steve, if she reacts - with a few expletives - would she say them in English, American or French? :lol::lol::lol:

..and we all feel for ya - having to clean up after a grease fire - not fun - so you can come here when you take breaks from scrubbing... and know that a bunch of women love ya even if you set fires

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Hmmmmm...... I think that Steve has always posted very insightful, thought-provoking responses. He isn't "long-winded" like me :ph34r::lol: , but he gets to the heart of the issue and provides accurate, pertinant information.

Personally, there has been a thread in which I knew my "mouth" would get me in trouble should I choose to post there. I read Steve's post, which I thought was ABSOLUTELY correct, and PM'd him, telling him so. Just figured that I needed to stay away from trouble, but I wanted him to know that I wholeheartedly supported him. I just wish I had the guts to take a stand and defend it as he does.

IMHO, my interaction with him, even when we didn't agree, has been intellectually challenging . . . . (didn't know we were intellectuals, did ya?)

Don't know about the haircut issue, but I think his picture is "quite lovely", and I think he had better take a couple of cooking classes, given this morning's happenings!

Sorry, Steve, had to bust your chops!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Lynne

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

:blink: Am I the only person here that never thought he as a "bad" man?

No, if anyone really thought that, none of us would be posting on this thread! He does make himself quite fun to pick on! And, if I'm having brain fog, I have trouble discussing things with him!! He definately brings in an intellectual angle.

And, Lynn, you are not serious about him not being long winded, are you? :) He's very, um, thorough.

gluten-free 12/05

No, if anyone really thought that, none of us would be posting on this thread! He does make himself quite fun to pick on! And, if I'm having brain fog, I have trouble discussing things with him!! He definately brings in an intellectual angle.

And, Lynn, you are not serious about him not being long winded, are you? :) He's very, um, thorough.

Thorough, well-read and always an interseting read...even if his new hair is a touch...mullettish...Hey, to each his own, right? :):):)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

I've always enjoyed Steve's posts. He always brings in a lot of knowledge and I usually don't respond to his posts as I've nothing to add. One thread got particularly knowledge filled and I had to drop out of reading it.....didn't have the time to keep up with it. I think it was the autoimmune one.

Steve, keep up the good work.......please, no more fires though....I don't like those. Make sure to take a break now and then. That is a job I wouldn't look forward to....I'd probably spend much more time on here and wait for my husband to get home and help. :P

I had read a haircut thread within the last few months. Wasn't that the one with Ian posting? I guess I don't remember gfp being on that one.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Thorough, well-read and always an interseting read...even if his new hair is a touch...mullettish...Hey, to each his own, right? :):):)

No, no, no, we all directed him on his haircut ... the only problem is that pic was taken right afterward ... he just needs to mess it up a bit and post a new picture (it's the bangs ... way too perfect) ... Vincent is the one with the national award winning mullet!!!

I actually might need to start a thread on hair ... what color? It's been this light all summer, thinking of going more natural (dark blonde) with a few highlights ... don't know if I can start a thread on it though ...

gluten-free 12/05

Carla--

Go ahead and start a hair thread! You know I'm always up for some hair talk :D

Yea--Steve's haircut was a fun thread! Where else but here can you get hair tips from all over the world!!

Patti

wow. instant celebrity--- what's your thoughts on this Steve???? You gain no large paycheck. no real fame & no royalities, so it must just be your charm & wit... Enjoy your fame as I think we all are fickle & it will be onto something else soon....keep posting,venting is good for the soul......

mamaw

I still think his hair is "quite lovely", also. I do think a hair thread isn't a bad idea for some fun, though! I'm thinking of "low-lighting" mine a little . . . . it is getting to be fall around here, so there's no "we drive a convertible" excuse for my hair being THIS light! (Actually, it's the "I'm so gray I can't stand it" excuse, but, at 44, there's NO WAY I'm going to let the REAL hair show!)

Oddly, I was at the beauty supply place, getting the stuff for my hair. These two little girls were arguing over which color THEY would have . . . one chose Bright Blue, one chose Purple. I told them that my neice wanted me to have Hot Pink, but that old ladies shouldn't have hot pink hair. The one little girl said, "You're not old." I looked at her and smiled. Then she said, "You don't have gray hair." I looked at her mother and said, "That she can see, anyway!" It was bust-a-gut funny!!! My neice still wants me to do hot pink streaks . . . . with my luck, even the "wash-away" ones would stay about oh, six months. Talk about an old woman trying to look young . . . . . ICK.

OOPS -- didn't mean to hijack Steve's thread. Steve: If you're eavesdropping, "Hey, Cutie!!"

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie