24 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I was a very healthy baby and kid growing up and a healthy adult until about two years ago when I had severe pneumonia. It is possible it was my trigger but it is not easy to say. My diagnosis was 16 months ago and came as a shock to me as I have never been ill other than the odd cold and that pneumonia. However, I do suffer from severe chronic pain from an accident (which could have also been my trigger??). The only change I notice since going gluten free is that my tooth enamel is now very strong. Just don't know... :huh:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

When I think back I can remember having tonsillitis atleast twice a year, always too anemic to give blood, but it was when I was in college that started to notice the GI issues. Between stress of classes and living the college life of no sleep, parties, and studying I was always down for the count. I mentioned it to my doc at the time, a few times, who said and I quote" if you think bread bothers you then just don't eat it"...good enough, life went on and I was in a roll over and all hell broke loose after that. Miserable wouldn't even come close to describing how I felt. After tons of testing from ultrasounds to cat scans and scopes my gastro said the celiac was there all along and then the added stress was just too much for my system,and it gave in! Oh well, it is what it is, life is good now-- gluten free! :)
~**caselynn**~

#18 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have been asking myself this question since the day I was diagnosed. I never had GI problems as a kid and led a fairly normal childhood/adolescence. I did get frequent sore throats, sinus infections, and ear infections, but nothing so outrageous that it would cause anyone to wonder. After college (and writing a 2 year long thesis which was incredibly stressful) I was told by my doctor that I was anemic. My anemia was so bad that I developed pica and was eating only shaved ice every day for 3 months. After my mom became incredibly disturbed (and sick and tired of making ice all day), she took me back to the doctor and they gave me an iron infusion since the pills weren't being absorbed. Since that day of the infusion, I quickly gained about 20-25 pounds within a year and continued to gain weight. I am a silent Celiac so I still never experienced GI symptoms, but I'm thinking that this was the time that my Celiac was triggered. I could be completely wrong, but its the only thing that stands out to me.

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#19 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

i had no idea that infections are linked to celiac. :unsure: If that's true, I also was sick a bunch with a few UTIs a year and chronic strep throat; they once had me on antibiotics for a full year trying to get rid of it... didn't work. I had mono and pneumonia at the same time as a teen, and now a days I get sick a few times a year (but I attributed that to having no spleen)... I wonder if it is all related? :huh:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

After I stopped breastfeeding my second child, I started having chronic diarrhea, I was going crazy trying to figure out what was causing it, I thought maybe hormones or certain foods. I was so miserable. My hubby finally insisted I see a doctor about it (I was scared they were going to do all kinds of invasive tests so I kept putting it off) but I finally went and long story short... I have celiac.

Looking back though, I think I did have issues that were celiac-related before that. Sensitive stomach, anxiety, depression, etc. It just didn't get really bad until after having kids. Weird.

#21 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

It looks like I'm the exception, but other than recurrent ear infections as a kid, and later recurrent sinus infections (stopped after allergy shots) and recurrent UTIs (stopped when I started drinking more water and less other stuff) I've almost always felt pretty good. (I know that's not exactly normal, but there are a lot of things about our modern life that aren't "normal" for our bodies - like all of the hormones in our meat and dairy supply, but I digress...)

Last year I moved, commuted 4 hours one way every weekend back to work on our house to sell it on the weekends, was working hard at the new job, and thought I was just worn out from that. I continued to get more and more tired, and as a person who couldn't normally take a nap or sleep with any noise I felt then that I could have laid my head down on my desk and slept soundly. My GP diagnosed me as deficient in iron and subsequently also in D, B, and several other vitamins. She was smart enough to do a preliminary Celiac blood test, and found that was positive.

I will say, though, that in college and grad school I saw a few doctors about stomach trouble. I was told by one to take bulking laxatives - when I complained of diarrhea!! (I did not go back to her, and was furious that I had to pay for a service by someone who was so clearly inept.) Once I cut out dairy and fake sugar and cut back on coffee, my stomach did improve, but was never "normal" - which to me is how I felt back in high school and earlier (when I did not eat well!).

So, for me, it's hard to say. Despite the infections and stomach trouble, I felt pretty normal until last year, and I have always eaten a lot of gluten-containing foods, so I think Celiac was "triggered" for me last year (or not too long before) somehow.

#22 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I believe I have had celiac disease since I was a child. When I was 9 I developed eczema. Of course it took 6 years to diagnose. During my teenage years I would go for a week at a time without sleeping and it did not even bother me. I have always been clumsy, running into door frames, car doors, and running into furniture. In the past few years I have had some aches and pains which I attributed to being 40. Last year I had a migraine. This year I started out having a dull headache everyday. I have had times throughout my life when I would get dizzy. In March I started getting dizzy everyday. After 3 weeks I went to my PCP. She ran some blood test and referred me to a neurologist because she could not figure out my dizziness. I found out from my PCP I had low vitamin D. The neurologist ran a bunch of blood work which came back with low B12 and celiac disease. I have never had any gastrointestinal issues.

#23 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

I can combine the long term symptoms and the trigger! My trigger was some virus that attacked the abdominal lymph nodes. A twisting, pulling pain at various spots on my stomach. After a week, not only did I not get better, but the pain changed and got much worse. Now it was a stabbing pain, and I started on vicodin. The dosage kept increasing in order to keep the pain at bay, and then one night after 2 pills (and 2 slices of pizza and a peice of 3 layer cake!!!) I ended up in the ER. Diagnosis followed shortly thereafter. Of course, once I started learning about Celiac, the picture became so much clearer. My headaches and constant constipation as a kid, migraines and excema in my 20s, and extreme fatigue in my late 20s. Even better, after going gluten-free, no more depression!
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#24 veronika

veronika

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I felt amazing until I got a viral infection (my best guess given the symptoms) at the end of my third year of university. After I failed to recover, and after what felt like a million doctors/tests, I was labeled with chronic fatigue syndrome and told to cope somehow. Noticed problems with wheat, dairy back then and cut them both out (for the most part). Survived undergrad, got a degree, moved on to grad school still sick but was able to manage it. Flash forward to last summer, got hit with a terrible stomach bug. I've had horrible GI problems since and have only in the last few months connected my gluten/various food intolerances with my overall health and vitamin deficiencies. Looking back on the past six years, I can now appreciate all the subtle (and not so subtle) clues.
chronic fatigue, overall body pain, brain fog, headaches since August 2006
chronic nausea since July, 2011

gluten, casein, soy free since April 19, 2012
potato, corn, oat intolerant

#25 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I was always sick as a child too, but I think my celiac was triggered when my father died. He was my hero and my best friend, and I didn't handle it well when I lost him. To be completely honest, I started drinking. A LOT. I mean every day all day, starting with breakfast and continuing until I passed out at night. I thought the digestive symptoms were from downing sometimes up to a half gallon of tequila a day, often on an empty stomach.

I think I was trying to commit suicide without actually committing suicide. I mean, I didn't want to live in a world that didn't have my father in it, but I knew suicide was so wrong. I figured if I drank myself to death it didn't count as suicide the same way it would if I had put a gun to my head.

Stupid, I know. But by the time I realized that I COULD live with just his memory to hold on to, I had already destroyed my gut.

You know something? I must trust you folks a lot to be able to tell you all of that. You've all been so good to me, and even though it's an ugly story, my trust in you folks is my gift to you. Thanks so much for everything!

(And no, I don't drink at all anymore.)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: