This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Donna,

Sorry that the doctor wasn't more help. That is about what I'd expect from a doctor, too. They don't even entertain the thought that food could cause these things. I have several tubes of Rx steroid and cortisone creams. I had eczema on my eyelids that went on for about 12 years. Tried everything, Rx and OTC. Got opinions from a few doctors. Always the same answer--the creams! :angry:

Since switching my diet, and switching all of my personal care products over to those that don't contain SLS, my eczema is gone completely! After all that! Sometimes, I can't believe it's gone, and I check a lot for the rough skin to start again, but it's been a few months now, and still clear.

I know that the answer for you is some combination of what you're eating, and what you are using on your skin. I hope that you figure it all out soon! Itching is no fun :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast

I disagree with your doc. I don't think the rash would be over your entire body just because it was systemic. I get rashes in the same places all the time, on my scalp for instance. I used to get the eyelid rash, but only from eye shadows that were pink or purple. The '80's were very difficult for me :(:lol:

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie, seems like I just missed you.

Welcome Queen of Hearts, how do you come by your name? :)

Sorry I missed you last night rinne!

Queen of Hearts- I always think of that Juice Newton song, "...playing with the queen of hearts, knowing it ain't really smart, the joker ain't the only fool, who'll do anything for you......

:lol::lol: Judy, I laughed when I read about your tortilla in the regular toaster, no wonder it didn't come out so well

Hi Karen- hope you had a good night last night, you and rinne are making me want to do a Canadian tour as well. Sounds so beautiful up there :)

:lol: swittenauer, I would imagine that wouldn't be very tasty.

Donna- sorry your appt didn't provide you with any answers. It seems we all have something we are battling and having to figure out on our own, at least we can come here and have each other's support :)

Celia- I am totally in the dark, didn't realize anything happened. I thought all was well in the 'ville. I have to admit I don't always read each and every post thoroughly :ph34r: .

If I said or did something to offend or hurt anyone I apologize profusely.

Good Morning Carla and Patti :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Good morning everyone!

Poor Armetta's computer won't allow her into the town today. Does anyone have any advice for her? She has another thread ...

Julie, I didn't really know what happened either ... but since all seemed better ...

Oh, no, I'm here alone!!!

Green12 Enthusiast
I disagree with your doc. I don't think the rash would be over your entire body just because it was systemic. I get rashes in the same places all the time, on my scalp for instance. I used to get the eyelid rash, but only from eye shadows that were pink or purple. The '80's were very difficult for me :(:lol:

I agree Carla. I know for a fact I have a lot going on systemically, and I still get rashing in all the same places.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I was just thinking how much fun it would be to be having these chats in person! We'll have to celebrate 1000 pages with an in-person party!! :D

Green12 Enthusiast
Good morning everyone!

Poor Armetta's computer won't allow her into the town today. Does anyone have any advice for her? She has another thread ...

Julie, I didn't really know what happened either ... but since all seemed better ...

Oh, no, I'm here alone!!!

I wondered why it was so quiet yesterday, I though boy I sure can clear out an entire town. Do I have garlic breath???

:lol::lol:

Sorry Armetta can't get into town, I don't know enough about computers to have any suggestions for her :unsure:

I'll be here off and on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Oh, I guess it had to do with your other post about watching what we say ... I'll leave well enough alone as they say.

Hit refresh and see my new avatar!! :D

rinne Apprentice

Hi, I can't seem to get on with my computer either. Hi Armetta, when I tried to post to your thread to tell you I was having the same problem I couldn't do that either. This is my sweeties computer, if it stops working suspect aliens. :lol:

I've tried re-booting and have DH working on it but if you don't hear much from me it could be just cause my sweetie takes his computer to work. :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Hi, I can't seem to get on with my computer either. Hi Armetta, when I tried to post to your thread to tell you I was having the same problem I couldn't do that either. This is my sweeties computer, if it stops working suspect aliens. :lol:

I've tried re-booting and have DH working on it but if you don't hear much from me it could be just cause my sweetie takes his computer to work. :lol:

I quoted this on Armetta's thread. What I'm wondering now is if your computers think you have accessed this page enough times ... maybe if you delete your history it will let you back on!! :P

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OH GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY is our thread too monstrous or something?? just tried to do multiple quotes and reply, it would not let me.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :huh:

had things to address, how will I remember now....Carla and your silly daughter, GREAT photo, that's the fish one your h usband wouldn't let you post, right? :P

Julie - the cookies and bbq - :P Adn thank you for asking, dinner was SO delicious.....that kitchen manager really knows the gluten-free stuff, and they recognized me and were so very nice and accommodating, am writing a letter to the owner. Had perfectly-sauteed shrimp w/ mangos and snowpeas in a garlic sauce.....with "black" basmatic rice (it was purple) - - SOOOO good!

Judy - - Hey you!! come back more often! :)

Rachel - scientificness - - we are waiting. :)

Rinne- lovely to see you. Can't remember - - OH!!! wait!! your dog!! OMG, you don't sound TOO concerned, hopefully he'll show up soon. I of course would be mad with grief and worry should I lose a dingo....you will all have to fly out and console me....banish the thought..... :o

And speaking of flying out......sigh, wouldn't it be a wonder if we could all just get together, drinking Leah's tea and eating her....was it meringues? and the gluten-free pastries Chelsea will provide....chatting and laughing in our pj's.....what fun.....guys must come too, of course. maybe no PJ's. :P

Cecile - - - beautiful words. 'tis I who misbehave..... :ph34r: moving on...... Cecile's been busy hijacking my other post.....oh dear, those poor innocents who venture onto that one..... :lol:

Heading out to work in the garden. the temp. here is lovely today.....must get busy! still more painting to do.....ugh.....never ends......

hello to all! see you later. a few r-villians are traveling this weekedn and I pray they are safe and well.

xoxo

CarlaB Enthusiast

Well, I'm taking my girls to see Step-Up, so I'll catch y'all later. Morgan saw John Tucker Must Die a couple weeks ago and told me she thought it would be stupid, but ended up loving it. Adam and I saw it last night, we'll add it to our R'ville movie collection. Being the social director, I'm planning an outdoor viewing with some gluten-free, cf, soy-free popcorn and Mexican Coke available!!

I have been having my TMJ worked on for a couple years now, I'm wearing my second appliace ... ouch! I have to wear this 22 hours per day till November when I get my braces! My mouth hurts so bad ... I'd scream if I could! It's a functional regulator, do a search on the net and you'll see this monstrous thing I'm wearing. Makes me not want to eat!

rinne Apprentice

I'm not worried yet, (about the connection) after all my sweetie doesn't leave for work until Monday morning. :) I think if there are two of us it might be a site problem but it could also just be that Armetta's and my computer decided to take a break together. <_<

I'd just like to take a moment to apologize if I have done or said anything that has offended anyone, I know I do get on a soapbox periodically. :ph34r::(:P:lol:

It is pouring rain, my dog has not come home, someone must have taken her in. She is the sweetest dog and people are always offering to adopt her and I'm starting to get worried. :( DH is out walking the streets looking for her.

CarlaB Enthusiast
guys must come too, of course. maybe no PJ's. :P

:o You must mean we stay dressed all night since there's no nudity in R'ville!!! :o

Yes, that's the pic my husband didn't email me the first time. I loved it though. Do you have any idea how hard it is living with Morgan and her hair!!! :blink:

queenofhearts Explorer

Great picture, Carla!

For those who were curious, I'm Queen of Hearts definitely NOT because I break them! (Married 28 years!) But because of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & the nursery rhyme within (see my signature)...

I'm an avid baker so when I found out I was Celiac I felt like someone had stolen my tarts, & I was ready to scream OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!! But I've quickly learned that tarts are one of the easiest goodies to convert to gluten-free.

Now bread... I used to make really good bread... I miss kneading! I like Bette Hagman's 4-flour bread but it's a batter bread, as most good-tasting gluten-free breads are. If anyone has worked out a gluten-free bread that's kneaded & doesn't bake up dry as dust, LET ME KNOW!

Leah

CarlaB Enthusiast

Just a side comment, no one has said anything that has offended me!! I know that we are all here having fun and the limitations of this medium is that we can't hear tone of voice. We all mean well, so nothing is ever taken wrong on my end.

If I've said anything, sorry, didn't mean it!! It was all meant in fun.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Carla defnitely not you....pretty sure it's me..... :o:( always in trouble either for being too silly, or talking without thinking....... :blink:

the PJ's - -well since I wear my PJ's out in public guess we can have them on......no, no nudity.....please no.....don't have the rock climber physique any more (a small brag here, used to be able to do 13 pullups in a row.....now, cannot do ONE.....the top female climber in the world, Lynne Hill, can do 35.....I am such a wuss now but still doing my pushups......breast developement, you know..... :P )

CarlaB Enthusiast
the PJ's - -well since I wear my PJ's out in public guess we can have them on......no, no nudity.....please no.....don't have the rock climber physique any more (a small brag here, used to be able to do 13 pullups in a row.....now, cannot do ONE.....the top female climber in the world, Lynne Hill, can do 35.....I am such a wuss now but still doing my pushups......breast developement, you know..... :P )

LOL, I lift weights. I started when I was 39, and now I'm in pretty darn good shape. It's not too late to get back to it!! The only cleavage I have is from chest exercises!! :blink:

AndreaB Contributor
Hit refresh and see my new avatar!! :D

Too funny.....but cute nonetheless. :P

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thanks. You can see Chloe peeking through in the background!

queenofhearts Explorer
Carla defnitely not you....pretty sure it's me..... :o:( always in trouble either for being too silly, or talking without thinking....... :blink:

13 PULLUPS!!!!! I've never done a decent pullup in my life. I remember dreading fitness day in school when we had to do pullups & rope climbing. I have strong legs & was a runner for years, but try as I might my arms remain pathetic. Well, I've made some progress from lifting weights & using the ub handles on the elliptical-- they are no longer toothpicks, I've graduated to matchsticks...

Leah

dlp252 Apprentice

I was having trouble posting earlier too, so I got frustrated and didn't reply to everything I wanted to reply to and, well, it's just to scarey to go back now.

First off, love the new picture Carla! :D

Secondly, if I said anything to offend anyone, I am really sorry...I was in a weird way for a couple of days because of that HR person being on site...she's never on site unless someone is being let go and that kind of messed with my whole being, lol. :unsure: Anyway, I AM sorry if it was me!

I lift weights too Carla, and can do big-girl push-ups but can't for the life of me do a pull up...course don't really have anywhere in my house to test that theory out, but pretty sure I can't, lol. :P I've lifted weights for 4 years now and to look at me you'd never be able to tell except I think that's probably one reason why people say I don't look 51. Didn't start working out until I was 47, so I agree that it's not too late.

Rinne - I hope you find your dog soon...one of the things that used to worry me the most with my two babies was that they would get out and I wouldn't be able to find them...neither had chips, but when I get another dog, that one will have one.

Bought more beads...I may need a bead intervention. :lol: Still no chocolate Bumble Bars at Whole Foods, lol, but did buy some naturally carbonated mineral water which I plan to mix with some fruit juice...no diet sodas this week.

Okay, not feeling great right now so I'm going to go lay on the couch and watch TV and look at my beads. :ph34r:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Special Announcement:

Ok....I've been doing some thinking lately. Sometimes it just takes me awhile to figure stuff out....and yes, I'm eating ice cream right this second. :rolleyes:

Celia, I loved your post and sometimes we just need to step back and reflect on things. You gave me more to think about in that respect.

I feel as if this thread has lost its meaning. At one time it did have a point....even if not everyone could understand the science of it all. It was the reason we all found each other here and grew to care about one another. It was the reason some of us found encouragement, hope, joy, laughter, and friendship. A place where we could not only find some answers but a place where we could share our feelings and have understanding and positive reinforcement.

What I'm finding now is that it has lost some of its "charm". The support on this thread is not what it once was and some people are not happy about the direction we are headed and are feeling they need time away from "the thread". Why would we now need time away from the very thing that gave us hope, strength and added something special to our daily lives??

There are several reasons for this. First we have many new people who have recently joined us. As a result this thread has become nothing more than a chatroom which was not its intended purpose. Oringinally the people on this thread were here because they were looking for answers to serious health problems and food sensitivities. The people who joined me on this thread did so because they could relate to my many food/chemical sensitivities and resulting symptoms. We were here to share our frusterations, our discoveries, our weaknesses and our triumphs.

We are all guilty of changing the dynamics in this thread in recent days.....myself included. However its a sad day when we, who were here from the first pages in this thread, are not feeling comfortable posting. The fact that so many people have started posting on this thread has made it difficult to keep up with and posts which are related to issues for which this thread was intended are being lost in pages upon pages of chat room talk. I used to feel that this thread would be of great benefit to anyone who might stumble upon it having the same health problems as some of us do. This thread contains a wealth of information gathered by several of us who have been searching for answers. Unfortunately it would be very hard for a person to find and make use of now that the thread is reaching nearly 100 pages per week. 100 pages doesnt feel like an accomplishment to me anymore due to the fact that there is not much useful information is those pages and I'm disappointed in the fact that its come to this. :(

I dont know how to get back the "feeling" of the thread now that it has been lost. Rachelville was a special place created by the people on this thread who I've grown to care alot about. It was a place where we could share our troubles and feel safe. It was a place where we could get to know about each other, laugh together and escape the realities we are faced with each day in the real world. When one of us was suffering we would all be there to offer support. I dont see that happening anymore. Serious posts are becoming lost in the chit-chat.

I know that this thread has many many pages and at this point newcomers obviously cant read it in its entirety....so instead they are just jumping in on the last page and joining the chit chat.

This is not a chat room. For those who have just joined in....this thread is about food intolerances. Some of us are dealing with more than just gluten intolerance and are having a dificult time putting all the pieces together. The info we have discovered and shared here has helped some of us to start moving in the right direction and to start feeling better. In our efforts to help one another we have learned a little about each other and have developed a strong bond. Not every post is about food. We laugh together...its the thing that has kept this thread going. Some of us have felt alone in the real world with noone who could understand the challenges we face. The laughter and support offered here has brightened our days.

Celia went through some traumatic events in her life and was able to share them here (where there was a feeling of comfort) and she got alot of love, prayers and support during those times. That is what this thread is about. Helping each other to cope.

While it would be impossible (unless you have nothing else to do in your life) to read all the pages of this thread I am asking the newcomers to review some of the first 100 pages. While, noone will be "kicked out" of Rachelville....I would like to get back to its original purpose if possible. If you are not interested in the things discussed in the first chapters of this thread then this thread is not for you.

Originally, the people who came and joined our group did so because they'd read the pages and could relate to our problems. Now people are coming in only because it seems like a "fun" place to come and talk about nothing.

If you look at what forum this thread is in...its in the "Post diagnosis, recovery forum". I put it in this forum because thats where its belonged. However much of the second half of this thread belongs in the "Gab Forum". I've wondered if I should move it several times. I dont move it because I intended it to be about recovery. My intentions havent changed in that respect.

While its fun to post about things other than sickness....it should not be the sole purpose of this thread.

I am sincerely asking those who have joined us for chat purposes to create a thread in the "gab forum" so that you may continue with the chit chat. This is not the place for you if you cannot take the time to read the first pages and participate based on what is in those pages. We would like to recapture the "spirit" of this thread. This thread is nearly 4 months old and if you have only been posting here in the past few weeks and are not at all familiar with why Rachelville came to be or what it means to live in Rachelville then I would hope you can find another thread to post on.

I'm not sure how everyone here will feel about this but if the thread continues the way it has I will ask Scott if he would close it....as it has only become a chat room. However I would like it to remain visible in the Recovery forum so that the first half may be viewed and possibly helpful to others in the future.

I would like to know how everyone feels. Should I create a poll? Who thinks Rachelville should return to its intended purpose? Who thinks Rachelville should continue "as is"?? Who thinks Rachelville should shut down all together?? Who thinks we should blow up Rachelville and just have a nice long slumber party again??

I hope everyone feels comfortable enough to respond here. Mainly because I have never created a poll and have no idea how to do it. :P

Ok...sorry for the long post but too many of us have been saddened by the rapid decline of Rachelville and all it stood for. Heck, in the beginning we were almost Amish (except for me rebelling with my overalls and baseball cap). Hmmmm.....could my refusal to wear the bonnet have led us here?? :unsure: Now we have gone from everything pure and simple to something more along the lines of "Rachelvillians Gone Wild". :blink:

Also I cant get my scientific posts to those who still want to read them due to having to go through pages and pages of chit chat and I just dont have enough time in my day for that.

Hopefully everyone can understand where I'm coming from and hopefully we can resolve this in a peaceful way and without any hurt feelings....as this is the way we always do things in Rachelville.

Have a great day everyone!! I look forward to everyones response to this....dont be afraid to post your feelings on this matter. I hope I'm not the only throwing myself in the line of fire. :ph34r:

Well....heck....it wouldnt be the first time...and it wont be the last I'm sure. :rolleyes:

WOAH...I ate all my ice cream as I posted this...imagine that. :lol:

For those waiting for some scientificness...there may be a delay. :rolleyes:

mouse Enthusiast

I AM FINALLY ABLE TO READ THIS THREAD! I did what Carla suggested and went to history and deleted each one individually. Which is really weird as I only keep a 5 day history of cookies.

Rinne, I hope your dog is back by now. It is so hard waiting for them to figure out how to get home.

Celia, I love your quote. I printed it out as it is so beautiful and insightful. Thank you for sharing.

Carla, I really love the fish photo. What wonderful mimics you are.

I used to lift weights big time when we lived in Illinois. I had part of our basement converted to a work out area for me. And I definatly had cleavage. THEN, I lost that 53 pounds so fast, prior to the Celiac diagnosis. All of a sudden my chest muscles (boobs) decided to see if they could walk on the floor (and here I was standing up) :blink: .

mouse Enthusiast

I agree with Rachel. I have been trying to find out if she has posted about how the Ketotifen has worked for her, but I cannot always read every single page or post to find out. I try to look for Rachel's postings to see if the info is there. My Ketotifen is on hold as the main ingred. is on back order. But, I hope to be able to get it this coming week. I really don't know what else to say. As I so many times put my foot in it. But, I would like to say that some of us have found that our food intolerances and food allergies have impacted our lives much more then just going gluten free. And the information and support that many have shared on this thread have helped so many of us to find some answers.

Archived